Are ABA/behavioralists extreme NT's or what?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 12:40 pm

I find it repeatedly frustrating trying to get anyone who is very involved with ABA to understand ANYTHING from the person with autism's perspective. I thought that perhaps it was the personality of a few of the people, but really there seems to be a complete disregard that people on the spectrum are capable of having independent thoughts or actions. And this is really bizarre for those who claim to have some sort of "special" knowledge about autism. On the one hand I almost think that THEIR behavior is worth studying - like does this appeal to those who are extreme NT's themselves so that they would have greater difficulty understanding something from a different point of view. I would also say that there are many who are involved in other therapies who do not seem to reflect this absolutism and seem more open to gathering actual information.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 1:02 pm

I work with clients with DD and was considering learning ABA therapy as a job change....Until, I found out what it was!!!Actually,it seems like the best person to do this kind of "therapy" is the (incorrect)stereotype of an Aspie.....ie...someone with black and white thinking who has little ability to empathise with others feelings and a deep respect for scientific method over human emotion.Personally,I couldnt even take "Behavior Science,Rat Lab" in college because I didnt want to work with a Rat that would be killed at the end of class....How barbaric!! !!

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 1:25 pm

You make a good point - however I would hope that a person who was on the spectrum themselves (although perhaps unaware or undiagonsed) would "see" some of themselves in the person with autism. Of course it could also be the case that they do see something of themselves and want to eradicate that behavior and see this "therapy" as a means of doing that. Self hating aspies perhaps?

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 2:28 pm

I really think we need adult autistics who've been there, have learned, and adapted to life, to be teaching these young autistic children. I really think that one large part of having a good Theory of Mind is being able to accurately reflect one's life experiences onto others. I suspect a large part of how nonautistic people are so often able to "empathize" with each other, is because they've often had similar experiences. And in order to empathize, it's almost imperative that one has "been there".

Therefore, adult autistics probably have a better Theory of Mind for younger autistics and perhaps might make better teachers.

Example: I was an ABA therapist for a year and taught one little boy. I was his favorite therapist so much so that his parents ended up asking me also to babysit whenever their parents couldn't. He never had a single tantrum I couldn't help him quell in under 20 seconds. All the other therapists had him in such fits they often had to just end the sessions early because he wouldn't stop.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

krex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 3:21 pm

When you were "working" with him,did you ever think....I dont want to "extinguish" that behavior because I dont see any thing wrong with it...?Genuinely curious...All of ABA I know(very little) is that it seems to revolve around the concept of getting rid of behavior society considers nonproductive and encouraging behavior society considers "acceptable"....who decides this and do you agree with them?

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 11:52 pm

Sophist wrote:
I really think we need adult autistics who've been there, have learned, and adapted to life, to be teaching these young autistic children. I really think that one large part of having a good Theory of Mind is being able to accurately reflect one's life experiences onto others. I suspect a large part of how nonautistic people are so often able to "empathize" with each other, is because they've often had similar experiences. And in order to empathize, it's almost imperative that one has "been there".

In an ideal world perhaps :) .

This makes perfect sense to me. but I think alot of NT parents may be uncomfortable with the idea.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 7:46 pm

krex wrote:
When you were "working" with him,did you ever think....I dont want to "extinguish" that behavior because I dont see any thing wrong with it...?Genuinely curious...All of ABA I know(very little) is that it seems to revolve around the concept of getting rid of behavior society considers nonproductive and encouraging behavior society considers "acceptable"....who decides this and do you agree with them?

He was at such a young age where we mostly focused on just language acquisition and other related things. And to be honest, I didn't follow ABA strictly (which I'm sure I could've been fired for but, oh well). I did more of a general Behavioral Modification and tried to make things fun and interesting while still basing it all on reward, etc.. We did drawing, looking through his favorite books and naming, naming the cards (he enjoyed the cards), lining things up while working on labeling and numbering, playing ball, wrestling, and then finishing off every session with his favorite Veggie Tales.

To be absolutely honest, ABA forgets that children are children no matter any diagnosis and is BORING AS HELL. So I ignored the rules, and used more inventive methods of teaching him and making things fun while still getting the materials in.

This little guy, however, was very lucky. Both his parents have AS and love him as he is, although they do want to help him gain more tools (i.e., language) to make it easier on him to navigate life.

walk-in-th-rain wrote:
Sophist wrote:

In an ideal world perhaps Smile .

This makes perfect sense to me. but I think alot of NT parents may be uncomfortable with the idea.

Ideal definitely. There wouldn't likely be enough ASD therapists to go around. And, yes, would probably catch flack from the nonASD, professional, and parental communities. We'd be teaching them how to be the "best autistic they could be" while the parents would be wanting us to help make them "normal". :?

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/