Organization and Processing Information

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

OliverK5
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Oct 2011, 3:11 pm

I work with students who have ASD and Aspergers in a public school setting. My question for you experienced secondary students is this: What are your best tips for sorting out important information from less important information in the classroom setting? What tools or strategies have actually worked for you? Are there especially helpful visuals or organizational strategies that have been effective? I ask because I would like to teach late elementary students these skills before they get to the middle school setting. Thanks for your advice!

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2011, 4:00 pm

OliverK5 wrote:
I work with students who have ASD and Aspergers in a public school setting. My question for you experienced secondary students is this: What are your best tips for sorting out important information from less important information in the classroom setting? What tools or strategies have actually worked for you? Are there especially helpful visuals or organizational strategies that have been effective? I ask because I would like to teach late elementary students these skills before they get to the middle school setting. Thanks for your advice!

I wish someone had taught me some organizational and study skills, as I never needed them before High-school as I just remembered everything. Now I have no skills, and now my of skills is keeping me from being as good as I could be in AP US History as the textbook simply has too much unnecessary information to look through it all effectively.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2011, 4:07 pm

Nothing in US history is important. :P

I actually am kinda serious. History classes require nothing but rote memorization of all the subject material.

For math classes, as long as you know how to use a calculator and have a little bit of common sense, it's hard not to ace every test.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2011, 4:19 pm

SammichEater wrote:
Nothing in US history is important. :P

I actually am kinda serious. History classes require nothing but rote memorization of all the subject material.

For math classes, as long as you know how to use a calculator and have a little bit of common sense, it's hard not to ace every test.

US history is really depressing, the exact same crap that is going on now has been going for nearly 200 years. I never had any trouble with Math classes do to the above.

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2011, 6:21 pm

To-do lists can be helpful. I also went to a school that had assignment rubriks which said exactly what was expected on different aspects of assignments to get particular grades. In the class itself, I was pretty focussed and organized naturally, I was there to work many of the other kids weren't so I just focused on my work and ignored the kids.

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge