Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

enonone
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Oct 2011, 7:16 am

I´ll try to edit this post to make it easier to read:

I do not know if I may have AS, something like social phobia or simply an extreme case of shyness.

Reasons why I think I may have AS:
Inability to connect with people in general, unless using some sort of script (smile, ask about the weather), however do not manage to ask questions, start conversations, ask for something.

Problems with liking or disliking people, and if I "don´t like" someone, I can´t make myself talk to that person apart from monosyllables. Part of the dislike implies if I feel the person is contradicting itself or is simply ambiguous.

If overwhelmed, sometimes I "disconnect" (blank stare, lost in space for some seconds). Also feel the need to talk to myself and go for long walks.

I actually enjoy noisy places and busy places. Also like some especific parts of fabric (the borders). And when nervous or uncomfortable I seem to bite the inside of my cheeks.

Have bad coordination in general, walk on my heels, and cannot differentiate between left and right unless aided (by a shape with my fingers)

In general I seem to blend with people decently well, but do not manage to make friends or meet people unless they approach me, even I try. It seems It just doesn´t happen.

The post is still long probably. Do apologize in advance.

Last edited by enonone on 22 Oct 2011, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tentoedsloth
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Oct 2011, 8:09 am

Wow, that's a lot to take in. Which things do you think are most important?

enonone
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Oct 2011, 11:02 am

hi tentoedsloth.. thanks for replying.. I didn´t realise my topic was so long. The main issue is, I think I may present some signs of AS, however my parents mentioned the fact that self perception may be different from others perception, and that what we may think is going wrong could in fact be a missinterpretation related to depression, etc etc etc. I am just curious about others experiences in what constitutes "common or regular behaviour" for a person with AS as I know my personal experiences does not correspond with NT people, before deciding if it is worthy or not to get a diagnosis for AS. My main aspect could be the fact that I don´t seem to "connect" with people unless is in a very "cerebral" level (almost like a script), however I do seem to connect with animals, people that I have something very strong in common and with disabled people (work with people with almost no level of verbal communication) in which case I seem to make good rapport (as far as I am concerned). All of that with certain kooks and habits that do not seem to be pernicious. If some people relate with some of my "characteristics", then I may be onto something to understand myself. If mainly it seems that I may be getting confused with relation of similarities, then I may have to read some self-esteem books or something like that.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 12:36 pm

I know this is a forum and informal expression is expected, but please use complete sentences and break up this wall-of-text into paragraphs. This is very difficult too read and not strictly due to its length.

tentoedsloth

22 Oct 2011, 12:47 pm

You said: My main aspect could be the fact that I don´t seem to "connect" with people unless is in a very "cerebral" level (almost like a script),

That sounds a lot like Asperger's to me.

You said: All of that with certain kooks and habits that do not seem to be pernicious.

I think being a little "kooky" is common with Asperger's too. If we see the world differently, don't understand most other people, then of course we'll seem odd.

As for me personally, yes, I feel better relating to other "different" people, but I'm not sure if that's Asperger's. I'm not sure I have Asperger's, but it seems the closest match than anything else.

Did you try the various free online tests? They're in a thread at the top of the General Discussion forum. They're not always conclusive but they could give you an idea of whether you're onto the right idea.

enonone
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Oct 2011, 1:24 pm

Thanks Tentoedsloth for your comments. I am going to look for those tests that you mention.

And to Jackbus01, you´re right, the text is probably confusing. I guess I wrote like I speak. Anyway, I will sort that one out asap. Thanks for the feedback.