Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 2:20 pm

I don't mean that as in second person. I'm actually asking about yourselves. We're all different, and some of us might be too socially mature for our age, whilst others might not be (not criticising, just saying).

I feel I am mature in some ways, because I have a friend who is in her 50s, and she really likes me a lot, and she does treat me properly like a friend too. And I have some other friends that are way older than me and I get along with. But I have NT cousins (who are my age, or just a little bit older/younger) and they're into parties and dressing up and all that sort of stuff, and I couldn't see my friends hanging out with youngsters like my cousins. I think they'll look silly and feel silly. But they don't feel silly, or I don't feel silly, hanging out with my friends I've got. Also my cousins now would rather see eachother (when they're not with their friends), rather than me, because I think they find me ''to serious and boring'' - even my 10-year-old cousin thinks that, since he'd prefer to hang out with his friends or other cousins around his age. So I must be mature for my age, in that aspect.

But in other ways I am immature, for example, when I have meltdowns. I scream and flap my arms about and swear at other people in my house and slam doors and throw myself on the floor screaming - just like a 3-year-old. I do feel ashamed of it, and I hope to not let that happen any more because f**k knows what the neighbours think :oops: :oops: :oops: . Also, I follow my mum around a lot, and whine when she goes out of the room. But I think that's because I'm agitated and get annoyed when people keep on in and out all the time. There are a few other ways why I'm immature but I can't think of them at the moment.

What do you do what's mature for your age/immature for your age?

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 8:22 pm

That's a hard one because many aspies can be both very mature and immature in different areas. Its similar with our intelligence, we can be very smart in some areas and not so smart in other areas. You make a graph of our intelligence and our maturity it would have numerous spikey lines in going up and down in comparison to NT standards. For me, if you were to take into account all my maturity levels, I have maturity ranging from a 12 yr old to a 25 yr old. I'm 23 right now.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 8:27 pm

Ai_Ling wrote:
That's a hard one because many aspies can be both very mature and immature in different areas. Its similar with our intelligence, we can be very smart in some areas and not so smart in other areas. You make a graph of our intelligence and our maturity it would have numerous spikey lines in going up and down in comparison to NT standards. For me, if you were to take into account all my maturity levels, I have maturity ranging from a 12 yr old to a 25 yr old. I'm 23 right now.

I agree with this. For example, I am often told that I am "wise beyond my years" within certain aspects of my life, while in others I am considered "childlike" and "naive".

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 8:28 pm

I'd say I'm quite mature when it comes to doing the right thing, or making wise decisions, but I'm very immature when it comes to independence and living out in the "real world".

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

01 Nov 2011, 9:06 pm

I'm definitely on the mature side. I do slip up and think about myself once in awhile, but I'm mainly focused on what's really important. Me time later. :P