Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

simmons
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Nov 2011, 9:38 am

I'm now 51, and something which frustrates me, despite my Dad being dead for 8 years, was what made him appear "odd" or "eccentric" to others. He did behave inappropriately ...like the time in he came into the place where i was living when i was 25 years old. For some reason, he and my Mum insisted on buying me bras for my birthday. (I've since discovered my Mum suffers from Borderline Personality Disorder). My Dad approached a young woman who worked there and asked if I still lived there, and then went on to tell her "I want to see her about some brassieres"! !!

He was always doing things that were embarrassing and neither he or my Mum would accept that anything they did was wrong. My Mum was the more abusive one and i much preferred him to her, but it's been nothing but hard work trying to work out what was wrong with them both. I think i've worked it out with my Mum (and a professional confirmed this for me regarding her). But what do other people think re: my Dad?

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 9:49 am

Having an embarrassing parent who's oblivious to his or her effect on his or her offspring is a pretty universal experience.
Unless you have examples of how he meets the criteria, which are multifold.

to his Interest."

simmons
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Nov 2011, 10:04 am

thank you for your reply ...though i must admit, i don't understand the second half of it, lol!

Yes, he did meet the criteria in that apparently, when he was a young boy, he was treated by a psychiatrist for "extreme shyness" which left him with a tic in his face. He apparently was unable to stop shuffling his feet as a little boy too. He would say "he didn't like arguments" as a result of his parents always fighting, yet he could be very explosive and going off on a tangent with very little provocation.

While i know embarrassing parents are pretty much par for the course, i think you would agree that talking to total strangers about his daughter's bras is highly inappropriate!