Page 5 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

MysteriousMrR
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Nov 2011, 7:15 pm

Oh, dear, MindWithoutWalls, I got your username wrong before. I'll edit that so I get it right. :oops: I thank you for your piece of advice. I find it useful and definitely something I'll be reflecting upon for quite a while.

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 8:05 pm

I get the response "You cant have aspergers, your not like so and so's brother who has it"
I reply with " I am a girl, female aspies are different in their actions than males, we don't act out the same, violent way they do, trust me i know my best friends both have aspergers, ones a guy and the others a girl, and I am more like my female aspie friend than my male aspie friend."
then i get the reply "What ever, YOU DONT HAVE ASPERGERS!! !"

Ark its soo annoying, considering my aspie friends and i have 4 of them, 3 guys 1 girl, n they all say i have it.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 8:59 pm

I think a lot of people give the "nah, you don't seem autistic" or the plain and simple "no, you aren't autistic/on the spectrum" answer because they have it made up in their mind what autism should look like. Most people, even very logical people, will say (if you can get a reason out of them for why they think you don't have an ASD) "oh, well my third cousin's friend's sister's blah blah blah knew someone with autism and they behaved like _______" and if your behavior doesn't fit into that blank, then they just think you don't have an ASD. This is something we've studied in some psych classes of mine, and it's strange, but most people think this way (even pretty logical ones, like I said before).

plantwhisperer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Nov 2011, 12:14 am

I heard it a lot when I was first diagnosed.
It's equally well meaning and insensitive.

Now, I just ask people who say this, to imagine themselves telling an AfricanAmerican that they "don't seem like an African American", because they don't fit the stereotype. They never say it again..

MindWithoutWalls
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 9:36 am

MysteriousMrR wrote:
Oh, dear, MindWithoutWalls, I got your username wrong before. I'll edit that so I get it right. :oops: I thank you for your piece of advice. I find it useful and definitely something I'll be reflecting upon for quite a while.

That's okay. :) Whatever the error was, I didn't even notice it. Glad you got something good out of what I said.

plantwhisperer wrote:
Now, I just ask people who say this, to imagine themselves telling an AfricanAmerican that they "don't seem like an African American", because they don't fit the stereotype. They never say it again..

Whoa! Bet that really knocks 'em back! I'm gonna save that one up in case anybody ever says that to me!

(Appointment Three of Four today. I'll update my assessment blog as soon as I get a chance.)

Loitering is encouraged at The Wayshelter: http://wayshelter.com

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 1:08 am

I don't mention autism when I explain Asperger's.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 2:30 am

I think the next NT who tells me he/she/it does not think I am autistic I will wait for them to go to the bathroom so I can spit in their drink so I can say "I don't think you are going to like that drink!" as they are drinking it. :P 8O I hope they like the autistic flavor'n I added to their beverage. Whenever they say you are not autistic it is like they are spitting in my face so why not slip them some secret spittle. Everyone of them who has said this to me have always been people who go out of their way to f@ck with me so why notmake their drink or food a little more "flavorfull"? I have had three people say this to me and I have been harrassed in some way by them because they do not think I am autistic. I guess the two psychologists who have told me I am a text book aspie do not know what they are talking about.

To the people who say I am wrong for wanting to do this save your time I do not care. NT's do not care how I feel when they give me an unsuspected hug after I have told them hundreds of times not to do it just to make everyone laugh. Or how they say to your face they think your are one of the smartest people at work then behind your back they tell everyone you are ret*d. They call you every demeaning name and insult to make everyone laugh but when you say something that cuts them deep verbally making everyone s**t their pants with laughter they go crying to the boss saying your mean. If I could tie every NT bully down I would so I can force them to suck my crap through a funnel until the day they die. I would this to every one of them who messed with me if I thought I could get away with it. :wink:

I will never purge the rage NT's have made grow inside me. :x

CambridgeMAsspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Nov 2011, 1:21 pm

Yep, I get that. I have friends who insist that I do not have Asperger's. Cuz, you know, they obviously know more than the doctor and psychologist who diagnosed me. {sarcasm}

shubunkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Nov 2011, 2:19 pm

This is one of the most useful threads I've read so far on WP -
I can relate to this subject as its so fresh in my mind:

I get the following responses from family and friends telling me I can't be on the spectrum or be dyslexic because :

"you were "gifted" as a kid"

"you definitely could read years before everyone else".. ( erm, thats called hyperlexia Mum)

"you're so good with people"

"you're just eccentric"

"people with aspergers don't do your job/get your training

"noone ever diagnosed you with this before, so none of this could be really worth worrying over"

"a lot of people struggled at school, doesn't mean they're on the spectrum or dyslexic"

"is this your latest interest?"

"you don't need labels, they don't help"

My conclusion is that people that tend to respond like this have spent usually zero hours studying psychology, (that's most of my family and friends) or any science and/or or have a vested interest in maintaining their ignorance about this subject.

Most people don't know what auditory processing disorder is ( I didn't even realise I had problems with it ) and how this can impact on your life - so maybe I just need to remain patient with people who want to understand.

Its the people who deny that I do have problems that get me though.
Even when the information is there, why do they prefer to maintain that the facts are wrong?
Why would two psychologists independently confirm that I am not NT?

anyway its good to see I'm not alone dealing with this one,

:roll:

:fish:

pekkla
Toucan
Toucan

19 Nov 2011, 3:10 pm

I get this crap all the time when I'm talking to my son's high school teachers. During one of his assessments last year one of them actually wrote that they doubted his AS diagnosis because he made eye contact with her during the interview!! ! Then she said something like, he may have AS symptoms but he certainly is not autistic. Duh. :?