Hearing music in your head- is this an Asperger's thing?

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

striving59
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jun 2022, 5:14 pm

not much, tho i can extemporise

what i do feel / sense are flavours and food ingredients, i can pre-arrange cooking experiments in my head, as other things too, solid forms, objects / design.

Shoalinagent
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jun 2022, 7:02 pm

I've had this ability my whole life, although I do recall as a kid not being able to come up with anything new and assuming all music that can be created, had been.
This became unbearable in my 20s to the point I was coming up with new compositions sometimes 20-30 in a single day in my head. This then turned into 15 years of learning instruments well enough that I could get some of this stuff down before it is forever lost.
Nowadays it's much easier to control and can be switched on or off at will almost.

neilinmich
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jun 2022, 8:39 am

I have the phenomenon of my brain interpreting the sounds coming from heating/cooling/exhaust vents as music. The ducts are metal with air flowing through them. And my brain hears that as brass instruments; trumpets, saxophones, etc. Never string instruments. I hear songs that I know. It often sounds like a bad Salvation Army marching band playing "Bringing in the sheaves". Other times it has vocal music too.
What completely floors me is that even after I realize what I'm doing and I tell myself "That is NOT music" I still hear the music! I can't turn it off! It only stops when I leave the room or the air shuts off.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 8:46 am

There's always "a song in my head."

I doubt very much that it's an "Asperger's" thing.

neilinmich
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jun 2022, 8:46 am

I also notice that music starts playing in my head when I am nearing an orgasm. It is usually music I've been working on or listening to recently.

I guess that's where the saying comes from; "We'll make beautiful music together".

The brain's sexual pleasure and music regions must be related or connected somehow.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 12:47 am

I hear music playing in my head a lot and I used to wonder if it was some schizophrenic hallucination. Most of the time I like it, though. It's like having my own personal radio in my head.