Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

InfinityMinusInfinity
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Nov 2011, 9:23 pm

I'm applying for a grad school fellowship at http://www.nsf.gov/, and they have a "disabilities" section.

I have been diagnosed with Asperger's a long time ago (age 7), and every psychologist has affirmed that.

Question: should I disclose Asperger's here? On one hand, they seem to be interested in a diversity of applicants, including those with disabilities (but the options given are blind/handicapped, etc. - Asperger's would be in the "other" category)
On the other, I'm sure plenty of Aspies are in academia, and since Asperger's usually means social impairment (meaning you're usually not the "leader" type) it might even hurt my application.

Anyone here with experience on this?

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 10:09 pm

You can put that you have a disability and indicate other. I'm sure specifying it is optional. Best not to specify on the application. With all the laws, you are not obligated to say that you have aspergers. Your really not obligated to say anything.

However if you get accepted to the school. You can disclose to the office for accommodations and they are obligated to keep it confidential. And when you work with profs, they need to allow you to have the accommodations no questions asked.

InfinityMinusInfinity
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Nov 2011, 12:29 am

I'm aware that I'm not legally obligated to disclose Asperger's, but I was wondering if it's a good thing to specify or not. The tone of your message suggests that it's not.

I remember back to my college-seeking days, where when I mentioned Asperger's to some tour guides or admissions people, some would give a positive response and mention the contributions of people with Asperger's where as a few others would sort of shudder and mention bad things. Needless to say negative reactions from these people on Asperger's severely hurt that college's chance with me.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 12:59 am

I'd say don't specify for safety reasons. Just state that you have a disability. I realize its technically against the law to discriminate against a persons disability but....u never know.

If you do wanna tell them. Is there a personal statement thats required? I don't know what your applying to or what the topic that you'd have to write about is. But in your personal statement you disclose AS but frame it in a positive light. Like saying, Aspergers is the reason why your say: have this talent and have these strong interests and passions. You can focus on this topic for so long. You can emphasis the qualities you can bring to the department and how what distinguishes you from the rest. Trust me having aspergers puts so much difference and uniqueness to you, use it too your advantage.

So unless you have an opportunity to disclose and frame aspergers positively, best to not disclose.

If you have the opportunity, seize it.