Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 5:55 pm

Any autistic artists out there?

I have a children's book written (the premise is that it will provide a basis for parents to start with when they want to tell a child that he or she is autistic). It paints autism in a very positive light. I had an illustrator, but she has, erm, disappeared. I'm looking for someone who can commit to illustrating something in the neighborhood of 15 pages. The goal isn't to make a lot of money with this book, but we can talk percentages and things, if you're interested.

People are waiting for the book to come out. Please PM me if you're interested.

Lydia

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 5:59 pm

I am an autistic artist but I can't draw people for the life of me. I only draw animals so I probably wouldn't be a good fit for the book. Sorry. Also I am a starving artist. I don't make much with my starving art.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 6:01 pm

I'm a not a very good artist (I'm horrible), but I can try. Is there any preferred art style?

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 6:09 pm

I am, but I haven't particularly honed in on my human drawing skills as of yet. Unless you want them to look like aliens, I can do that. :lol:

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 6:12 pm

Thanks for the offers, but considering it's a book about autism and kids with autism, there are a LOT of human figures involved.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 6:15 pm

I think I'm about equally good with humans and animals. I admit I really just want to see the script as I don't think I'd be much of a help.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 6:20 pm

Here is my deviantart, it shows some grayscales I've done. It also has several stories and a video game (the flash game is incomplete). Here

KarateKetchup
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Nov 2011, 8:23 pm

I do draw. But for the moment, I'm debating wether I should show people my art, can't say that I'm terrible, but people just haven't been critical enough about them. They can be trolling me even too. OTL

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 8:37 pm

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 8:53 pm

I draw mostly cartoon/cutesy stuff:

Syrellium.deviantart.com

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 8:53 pm

Sent you a pair of PMs.

:D

so_subtly_strange
Toucan
Toucan

14 Nov 2011, 8:54 pm

i consider myself an artist, but i mostly make abstract. i can draw more realistic if i really focus, but this is difficult, and it certainly doesn't approach photo-realism. So is there a particular sort of style you had in mind? I would be very interested in trying my hand, but I'm not sure if it would be what you want.

Either way I think that is a really brilliant idea, in more ways than you may have envisioned. I've told some version of my story several times here so i apologize if you already have read it. probably not, because i don't have time to come here very often. Anyway I was informally diagnosed by several of my elementary school teachers. I was NEVER told about this. I didn't know what autism was (other than vague ideas about extreme classical autism) until a few years ago. And it has been less than a year ago that i discovered i had actually been diagnosed, all but officially because my parents didn't take it seriously.

My autism is relatively mild, but there have been many things in my life that have been much more difficult for me because i didn't understand that there was a reason for my differences and difficulties. Since I have learned about autism I have desired a way to someday advocate autism awareness, particularly in a way that it would affect people in the range of the spectrum such myself, that we KNOW there is something different, but can get away with not knowing why, especially if it is deliberately withheld . . .

Sorry to go on about myself, but where this connects to what your doing, is I think your book could really perfectly fulfill that need. Better than giving a parent a pamphlet of information, or telling them to do their own research, If my teachers for example, or those of someone similar to me, could give the parents of the child a book they can first read, and then also providing them a way to inform their child, probably part of what my parents were so unsure that they just avoided it entirely.

Whether or not you'd be interested in considering working with me i would like to follow the progress of your book, its a really awesome idea

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 10:20 pm

syrella wrote:
I draw mostly cartoon/cutesy stuff:

Syrellium.deviantart.com

'Ey, ya got some skillz there.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 10:59 pm

I'd be interested. How do you want the humans to look? Do you want them to look like real humans or do you want them to have big heads?