Hyper focus vs distractibility; or, Why I Think I'm Not AS

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

sogj
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Nov 2011, 12:23 pm

I fit perfectly into the AS diagnosis except for this one very different thing. It makes me think maybe this isn't me after all.

Many people (on here, for example) say they get easily distracted from things like school work when there are loud noises or people chattering. I have the opposite problem. If I'm working on school work, or reading a book, or...doing anything that requires any amount of mental stimulation, actually...I hyper focus. I was called "the absent minded professor" in elementary school because of this. I can drown out absolutely everything else around me and I have done this since I was a very small child. My parents used to joke that "if the house caught on fire you wouldn't know it until your book started to burn." Screaming at me, sometimes even shaking me won't get me out of my head, the only thing my parents ever found that worked was sticking something in between my eyes and whatever I was doing.

I DO get shocked by loud or sudden noises (a frequent saying by my husband is "You DO know I live here, right?" Flirtatiously mocking, not mean.) but I never clamp my hands over my ears, I just scream. But grocery stores, airports, etc, just turn me into a zombie in my own head, they don't freak me out.

(As a kid if too many people were talking to me at once I would just start flapping my hands. Now I just scream. But most people do, right? No one likes multiple people talking to them at once.)

Does this sound like maybe all my other AS-like problems aren't AS at all since I don't have those sensory issues?

myth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 12:43 pm

My husband has difficulty hearing things when he is thinking about/doing something else, like you describe. I think shaking him would work but speaking to him just doesn't get through.

I'm the opposite, I have a lot of difficulty filtering out sounds and trouble thinking and concentrating when there is noise going on. I just can't choose not to hear something. If there is a lot of background noise or multiple conversations (eg in a restaurant) I can't hear any of them and they all just blur together in a wordless roar. I haven't been assessed with anything but my husband has. I think it's safe to say that people on the spectrum fall to both sides of this scale as with other traits.

Nothing is absolute.

mv
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 12:45 pm

sogj wrote:
I fit perfectly into the AS diagnosis except for this one very different thing. It makes me think maybe this isn't me after all.

Many people (on here, for example) say they get easily distracted from things like school work when there are loud noises or people chattering. I have the opposite problem. If I'm working on school work, or reading a book, or...doing anything that requires any amount of mental stimulation, actually...I hyper focus. I was called "the absent minded professor" in elementary school because of this. I can drown out absolutely everything else around me and I have done this since I was a very small child. My parents used to joke that "if the house caught on fire you wouldn't know it until your book started to burn." Screaming at me, sometimes even shaking me won't get me out of my head, the only thing my parents ever found that worked was sticking something in between my eyes and whatever I was doing.

I DO get shocked by loud or sudden noises (a frequent saying by my husband is "You DO know I live here, right?" Flirtatiously mocking, not mean.) but I never clamp my hands over my ears, I just scream. But grocery stores, airports, etc, just turn me into a zombie in my own head, they don't freak me out.
(As a kid if too many people were talking to me at once I would just start flapping my hands. Now I just scream. But most people do, right? No one likes multiple people talking to them at once.)

Does this sound like maybe all my other AS-like problems aren't AS at all since I don't have those sensory issues?

Some of us are hyperfocusers, others are highly-distractible. Several people here are even comorbid with ADD. I'm a hyperfocuser, like you.

The bolded part, in my opinion, *is* an AS-like sensory response, it's a mini-shutdown.

MMonjeJr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Nov 2011, 12:48 pm

It seems like you do have those sensory issues, just not the same way of coping with them. I'm a shouter too, and for me it can be over too much movement just as much as too much noise. I also tend to go into that hyper-focus you describe, but I swing back and forth between being distracted by every little sight and sound and being unable to see or hear anything besides what I am focused on. I read somewhere that both are normal, as is the swinging back and forth.

My partner describes my behavior in public places as "Don't bother me, I've almost memorize the genome of the ring-tailed--oh look, that's shiny."

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 12:54 pm

Quote:

You're describing sensory issues, you're just describing ones that are not exactly the same as most people have been describing. Hypersensitivities, hyposensitivities, and actively seeking things that are high sensory input are all considered abnormal.

I know most of the people I talk to on IRC about SPD have periods of time where they're hypersensitive to things, while at other times they'll be completely unable to notice those things at all.

Your description doesn't preclude you from having AS.

(Personally some things won't be able to distract me from my book while others will have me unable to focus, even within sounds)

sogj
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Nov 2011, 12:56 pm

MMonjeJr wrote:
My partner describes my behavior in public places as "Don't bother me, I've almost memorize the genome of the ring-tailed--oh look, that's shiny."

ROFL THAT'S ME!! hahahaaaaaaa

thanks everyone!!

i've been wondering my whole life if i'll ever find a place to fit in. i'm going to see a dr next monday for an evaluation, something i've been wanting to do for years but never had the money to... O.o ... i'll see how it goes!

thanks! :)

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 2:54 pm

I think that hyperfocus is one of the most prominent traits of autism. Autistic children who appear to have sensory hyposensitivities, like not hearing noises around them, are probably just hyperfocused away from most sensory stimuli. I would put your hyperfocus in the pro-autism column instead of the con.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 3:58 pm

sogj wrote:

You're making the same mistake a lot of noobies make, and a lot of professionals too. AS cannot be discounted by one missing trait. That's not how it works.

Quote:

Wrong. Most people do NOT do this. Most people just speak up and say, "Hey! Too many people talking here! One at a time please!" Of course, when that many people are talking at once you have to speak loudly enough to be heard. But flapping and screaming? No. "Most people" do not do that.

BTW:

Quote:
MMonjeJr wrote:

ROFL THAT'S ME!! hahahaaaaaaa

That's actually extremely typical of ADHD. You may very well have both. Hyperfocus runs with both, but this, this is so typical of ADHD, I would take a serious look at that too. A lot of us have both. I do.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...