Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Nov 2011, 8:46 am

I work as an aide at a school for the severely disabled, so I have to do a lot of things that require fine motor skills, such as fastening diapers and tying shoes, both of which are extremely difficult for me. I have yet to receive an AS diagnosis(though I'm in the process)so I don't feel comfortable saying these issues are due to AS, but does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could better complete these tasks, or occasionally ask for help when doing these tasks without sounding like a complete moron. I mean, it generally comes across as a bit odd when an adult says they have trouble tying shoes. :oops:

Jaku
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Nov 2011, 9:56 am

I am also having extreme difficulties tying shoelaces and tie. :oops: However, it is good that you are working as an aide for severely disabled student and sometimes people like us with poor motor skills are actually able to empathize and emotionally look after the disabled better. So don't be shy to ask for help if necessary to complement each others skill and look after the disabled as a team. :D

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Nov 2011, 4:46 pm

Jaku wrote:
I am also having extreme difficulties tying shoelaces and tie. :oops: However, it is good that you are working as an aide for severely disabled student and sometimes people like us with poor motor skills are actually able to empathize and emotionally look after the disabled better. So don't be shy to ask for help if necessary to complement each others skill and look after the disabled as a team. :D

Thanks :) Most of the time I'm at least somewhat able to ask for help(once I work up the courage), but there's one teacher in particular that just makes me feel dumb. As far as the shoelaces thing goes, I have to use the bunny ears method, :oops: so I usually try to tie shoelaces out of view from anyone else, usually by standing between anyone around me and the person whose shoes I am tying. But, for the diaper changing, this one teacher just stands behind me and rolls her eyes and sighs like I'm the slowest person she's ever met. Anytime I ask for help she just makes a comment and makes me feel so bad about myself. But, on the bright side, all of the other teachers are generally very helpful and have no problem working as a team. I would never, in a million years, be able to tie a tie! :P

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 4:52 pm

You can tell them you have difficulty with fine motor skills.

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Nov 2011, 4:55 pm

League_Girl wrote:
You can tell them you have difficulty with fine motor skills.

I'd really like to, but I don't really know how to tell them without feeling extremely embarrassed and I'm afraid that they might ask why and I can't really say that it's because I have AS, due to the fact that I don't have a diagnosis yet. Also, I'm afraid they may think I'm making it up or something, since I haven't brought it up before. I'll try though.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 5:45 pm

If they ask you why, you can tell them it's something you have a hard time with and some people just don't have good motor skills just like someone have a hard time with reading and writing or doing math or seeing colors.

I don't understand why people need a label to understand something. Sometimes I understand because they need a label to understand so they won't think you are stupid or lying and it is embarrassing to mention your disability. hey I figure if they are aware of disabilities out there, they should assume "maybe this person has a disability" unless they are that ignorant so they don't know about such disabilities existing.

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Nov 2011, 5:56 pm

League_Girl wrote:
If they ask you why, you can tell them it's something you have a hard time with and some people just don't have good motor skills just like someone have a hard time with reading and writing or doing math or seeing colors.

I don't understand why people need a label to understand something. Sometimes I understand because they need a label to understand so they won't think you are stupid or lying and it is embarrassing to mention your disability. hey I figure if they are aware of disabilities out there, they should assume "maybe this person has a disability" unless they are that ignorant so they don't know about such disabilities existing.

Okay, I'll just tell them I have a hard time with it. Yeah, most of them are pretty understanding, with the exception of that one teacher. While I know they know about a lot of the disabilities they encounter on a regular basis, I still think many of them are ignorant when it comes to the autism spectrum and the challenges that go with it. I think this is due in part by the fact that many of them don't know how to interact with individuals on the spectrum, and that all of our students on the spectrum are on the more severe end.Thanks! :)

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Nov 2011, 5:33 am

i couldnt tie my shoes until i was about 10