Veteran

06 Oct 2006, 10:24 pm

Another curebie movie.

www.beautifulson.com

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2006, 11:22 pm

You can bet your top Dollar that I'm not going to watch that crap.

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2006, 11:38 pm

Why do almost al NTs think that autism is a disease that must be cured?

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2006, 11:51 pm

Because theyre incapable of considering the idea that maybe they are the diseased ones?

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

ooh_choc
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Oct 2006, 1:24 am

One-Winged-Angel wrote:
What else do you call sensory integration problems mixed with an IQ of 55?

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2006, 7:15 am

"You can bet your top Dollar that I'm not going to watch that crap"

I would hardly call the desire to be able to communicate with your child "crap". Theres a difference between having an introverted kid who's a bit quirky and excels at some academic study, and a child who can't even function.

The trailer ended with, "they're like lost souls, and as a paret, all you want to do is get your child back"

I know what its like to be a lost soul. And I know what its like to come out. And I am glad I have.

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2006, 9:43 am

Juggernaut wrote:
"You can bet your top Dollar that I'm not going to watch that crap"

I would hardly call the desire to be able to communicate with your child "crap". Theres a difference between having an introverted kid who's a bit quirky and excels at some academic study, and a child who can't even function.

The trailer ended with, "they're like lost souls, and as a paret, all you want to do is get your child back"

I know what its like to be a lost soul. And I know what its like to come out. And I am glad I have.

Was it HBOT or chelation that made you come out? The thing with curebies is not that they want to communicate but "cure" through means that are not only questionable but potentially dangerous. You make the assumption like many that people who are into neurodiversity do not want to do anything at all to help their kids communicate or are only high functioning. That is not the case. And they seem to be following along the lines of Autism Speaks by wanting to show only one side of autism and calling it a documentary.

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2006, 11:06 am

I came out on my own to be honest. You have a point about cures. I was never cured in any questionable way, though things my parents did certainly didn't help. They tried therapy type stuff and forced interaction, having someone try to teach me converstation skills (the interesting part is that I entirely understood how conversation works, I just had no interest in doing it most of the time). I had to make the choice, I had to develop myself over time, which is something no therapy could do.

I had it when young, but it hit when I was nine, along with severe depression which was triggered by my family moving. I hit the bottom, but the thing is that I was more aware than people realized. I was in a glass box, not cardboard. People would look at me and assume I couldnt see out. Actually I could, but there was glass there. So I had good understanding of what was going on, I just couldnt communicate the fact that I did.

I don't think controversial treatments are good. But if there is a treatment that might work, as long as it isn't dangerous, I don't blame anyone for trying it. Such as vitamins or diet. But I don't believe there is any miracle cure either. I'm always skeptical of people in ANY medical issue when they claim a silver bullet that fixed their problem. Alot of times its coincedence or other factors. "Oregano cured my thyroid problems, and it cured Bobs cancer--could it be coincedence that they just happened to go away when we took it?". Umm, yeah, it really could. Perhaps thats a poor example. We don't know much about the issue, but thats just it. If something could work, it may be worth a try. But in my experience it comes down to 2 things: wiring and environment. Wiring can't be changed by diets or vitamins or saunas. By environment, I mean social and learning environment, not diet or bizzare treatments. If someone is willing, they can learn to cope better. But painful "treatments" or diets I have a hard time seeing a real connection. Vitamins make you healthy. They don't change your wiring or your environment. But, if theyre healthy and it MIGHT work, go for it.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2006, 1:22 pm

The thing is while there may be "nothing wrong with trying", a person who tries to cure is all caught up in that aspect of autism. They aren't interacting with their kid, a therapist is. They aren't giving their kids communication tools when they are making doctor visits, blood tests, ABA therapy sessions.
That's my big complaint about people who will "do anything to get their child back". It's all a facade.
Juggernaut, my husband had the same type of breakthrough. He went from getting kicked out of school to Honor Roll student and there was no therapy or treatment behind it.

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2006, 1:38 pm

yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with you

stripey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Oct 2006, 2:46 pm

What a load of s**t , yeah those poor kids must recover from autism.I think it is terrible you catch this poor autism DISEASE, you must get rid of it, i got rid of mine with an Aspirin and a nice cup of tea. How ignorant t*****s.

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2006, 4:18 pm

Juggernaut wrote:
I don't think controversial treatments are good. But if there is a treatment that might work, as long as it isn't dangerous, I don't blame anyone for trying it. Such as vitamins or diet.

I think you are right in that kids come out on their own when they are ready and supportive stuff (often based on common sense) can help instead of forcing things through a strict therapy program. And things like diet (sensibly) may help and certainly more people use them than those on the spectrum but it has to be in moderation. Some kids are taking tons of supplements though.

In the movie trailer they showed them going into a DAN conference and mentioning all the choices like HBOT and infrared saunas. Besides being unproven and potentially dangerous it is wrong to do this to new parents because some of this stuff they peddle costs lots of money that some families can not afford. It also interferes with people really learning about autism and how to practically help their kids.

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2006, 4:55 pm

yes, it is a shame for parents to spend all their money and time on a treatment, only to find out it was a waste. And it makes people understand even less about it, because they spen all their time and energy to one thing, as if curing it were like curing a disease of the body. That really interferes with your relationship with your kid too, because you are only going to become frustrated.

I actually know pretty much nothing about autism treatment. What is HBOT?

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2006, 4:57 pm

Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2006, 6:35 pm

HBOT is a chamber like they use for divers who come up from a dive too quickly. It is used medically too - like for those with carbon monoxide poisoning but it is not a toy and certainly not something for non-medical people to get out the owner's manual and do-it-yerself. They sell small ones that at best might just be a waste of money but worse may actually work and some were reporting that they are using them in unsafe manner considering there is oxygen under pressure. Apparently there are some who do find doctors who do this but I don't know how many are mainstream.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2006, 7:28 pm

Why in the world would oxygen cure autism? That's like trying to fix a computer by plugging it into a higher-voltage outlet.

Quote:
Quote:

What else do you call sensory integration problems mixed with an IQ of 55?

--Mental retardation is considered a comorbid condition, not a part of autism itself.
--Yes, I want these kids to have a higher IQ. But if they did, they'd still be autistic.
--Sensory integration problems aren't all there is to autism--though we haven't yet figured out whether they're the cause of, or the result of, the autistic brain's wiring. In any case, sensory integration problems can be overcome or circumnavigated.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com