Can I ever learn to recognize, appreciate and create art?

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Rational
Raven
Raven

11 Dec 2011, 12:04 pm

I am obviously talking about the kind of art that is what aspies are bad at. I am already good at music, writing (just in the form of stories, I suck at poems, except if it's a joke poem) and humor, but those are things that aren't aspie-unfriendly. Also, I don't consider drawing, because I've seen aspies who are good at drawing.

I was talking about the things that aspies are naturally bad at, like fashion, photography, poetry (btw I used to write poetry and I thought it was good, but then I realized it was horribly bad), maybe dancing, and generally most things that include shapes.

My guess about this is that there might be a way to increase the performance in a certain art, and if I want to increase my performance for all of them, I'll have to increase my level of the same thing that causes social awkwardness, because it's at a low level. I'm not sure if this is possible at all.

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Dec 2011, 12:16 pm

Absolutely we can improve our abilities. By we I mean aspies and all people. And by our abilities, I mean any ability.

It does require us aspies to put forth more effort though. But this is true for anybody depending on the ability.

Please read my poem: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt183113.html

Btw, I'm new: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt183006.html

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2011, 12:24 pm

Fashion is not art. Costume design is, fashion is not. As for photography, I don't think Aspies are inherently bad at it, they just lack NT tastes in the subject, maybe somethings involved with human displays of emotion and visual perception are involved. Also, I don't think photography is particullarly artistic, it lacks a lot of creative elements that other art forms have. As for poetry, see the first part of photography, also keep in mind that Aspies often lack understanding of nonverbal elements of speech which may impair that. Dancing requires grace, and I feel the rest of the problems involve more of the photography and poetry stuff. I don't think Aspies are inherently bad at art, I actually think they are inherently better in many cases, it's just everyone has different tastes.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2011, 12:48 pm

I am an Aspie and have always shined in those areas (save for dancing). I am naturally artistic and never had trouble expressing myself through art (such as drawing, writing and photography).

If the desire is there, you can make art, whichever form it may be. Anyone can improve with practice.

Rational
Raven
Raven

11 Dec 2011, 1:03 pm

Hmm, I didn't quite expect this. But anyway, there are some arts that aspies are bad at, isn't that right? Maybe some aspies aren't quite bad at that, but other are.

So, is to possible for an aspie that is quite bad at them to become good at them?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2011, 1:10 pm

Rational wrote:
Hmm, I didn't quite expect this. But anyway, there are some arts that aspies are bad at, isn't that right? Maybe some aspies aren't quite bad at that, but other are.

So, is to possible for an aspie that is quite bad at them to become good at them?

Peoples is peoples. I don't think there are any arts forms aspies are inherently bad at, everyone is different. However, yes, you can improve your artistic talent through practice.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2011, 1:10 pm

I'd say it's possible, as long as they don't give up.

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Dec 2011, 1:26 pm

Rational wrote:

Note that we are not just aspies. I'm an INTP, one of the 16 personality types on the MBTI indicator thing. For example, my type prefers logic over emotion. So I don't think of art at all. But I've recently started to attempt it. Why? Because mel from an HSP board I follow, suggested that if I want to improve my mind's empathic ability, I need to practice. So she told me to start writing peotry, to read fiction, etc. These are things that I've never done before. But doing them now will help me rewire my brain, however slight that rewiring is. Everyone can do this. Its just a matter of knowing what to do, having the belief in yourself and the human mind that it can be done, and having the courage to do it.

Do you know that the brain can be rewired?
Do believe that you can rewire your brain?
Do you have the courage to do it?

Rational
Raven
Raven

11 Dec 2011, 1:27 pm

Ganondox wrote:
I don't think there are any arts forms aspies are inherently bad at, everyone is different.

I'm pretty sure there was a research about this, but I can't find it right now. The mechanism that causes social awkwardness also limits our ability to understand some arts. Perhaps a good example would be that most aspies are bad at dressing, at least I think they are.

Also, when I'm watching Michael Jackson, I come to the conclusion that there is no way that I can have even a tiny smidgeon of that artisticism. It is possible that I might be able to learn it, though. And my lack of artisticism comes from my aspieness, I can see the pattern.
rombomb2 wrote:
I'm an INTP, one of the 16 personality types on the MBTI indicator thing.

There isn't any scientific evidence behind MBTI and no professional takes it seriously. The whole creation of MBTI is unscientific.
rombomb2 wrote:
Do you know that the brain can be rewired?
Do believe that you can rewire your brain?

Any evidence of this?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2011, 1:35 pm

What do you mean by "bad at dressing"? Also, I don't consider putting logic over emotion to mean lack of enjoyment in art as I view art to be more creative than emotional, maybe that's why I'm autistic.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2011, 1:38 pm

What is this idea that aspies are bad at art?
Where does this come from?

From what I've seen so far here on WP, there is a plethora of creative minds.

Aspies can't do/recognize art?... sounds like another one of those unfounded myths.
Just like "aspies don't have emotions", or "aspies lack empathy".

Diagnosed in 2005

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

11 Dec 2011, 1:40 pm

Ganondox wrote:
As for photography, I don't think Aspies are inherently bad at it, they just lack NT tastes in the subject, maybe somethings involved with human displays of emotion and visual perception are involved. Also, I don't think photography is particullarly artistic, it lacks a lot of creative elements that other art forms have.

That's a very broad generalization. There are many different types of photographers.
Some have the freedom to use their tools in an artistic way and some don't.
A photographer hired to shoot a product for an add, or take wedding portraits,
has to conform to the narrow selective tastes of his clients or fulfill a contract.

But photographers that work independent or as amateurs can chose from a huge range of tools and techniques, on scene or in post-processing.
They can choose high ISO and shrink the apature to a pinhole make things painfully sharp and grainy.
They can aim the key light at their subject or use a soft light from behind to put it in shadow.
They can choose lens lengths and crop margins, placing the emphasis in the far corner of an empty space or in the center surrounded by visual information/distractions.
In post processing they can dodge and burn to re-arrange the shadows and highlights.
They can can saturate and desaturate selectively, or gradiate filters, offset layers, flatten ranges of values, sharpen or blur selectively,
expose for multiple depth of fields and stitch together so you get blur at different depths,
create sine waves in value curves to make it surreal,
stitch photos together (for illusionism, surreal, or abstract effects),
They can use puppet-warp or distortion matrixes to manipulate the space.
etc etc etc

The possibilities for a photographer are as limitless as those for a painter, both in terms of subject matter and style.
We just don't think of it that way because the VAST majority of photos we see in everyday life are NOT artistic.

@Rational If you're interested in photography, take some classes and see if it's right for you.
(You can probably tell I'm a hopeless enthusiast. :mrgreen: )

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2011, 1:53 pm

Fatal-Noogie wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
As for photography, I don't think Aspies are inherently bad at it, they just lack NT tastes in the subject, maybe somethings involved with human displays of emotion and visual perception are involved. Also, I don't think photography is particullarly artistic, it lacks a lot of creative elements that other art forms have.

That's a very broad generalization. There are many different types of photographers.
has to conform to the narrow selective tastes of his clients or fulfill a contract.

But photographers that work independent or as amateurs can chose from a huge range of tools and techniques, on scene or in post-processing.
They can choose high ISO and shrink the apature to a pinhole make things painfully sharp and grainy.
They can aim the key light at their subject or use a soft light from behind to put it in shadow.
They can choose lens lengths and crop margins, placing the emphasis in the far corner of an empty space or in the center surrounded by visual information/distractions.
In post processing they can dodge and burn to re-arrange the shadows and highlights.
They can can saturate and desaturate selectively, or gradiate filters, offset layers, flatten ranges of values, sharpen or blur selectively,
expose for multiple depth of fields and stitch together so you get blur at different depths,
etc etc etc

The possibilities for a photographer are as limitless as those for a painter, both in terms of subject matter and style.
We just don't think of it that way because the VAST majority of photos we see in everyday life are NOT artistic.

@Rational If you're interested in photography, take some classes and see if it's right for you.
(You can probably tell I'm a hopeless enthusiast. :mrgreen: )

I know photography can be a lot more artistic than it usually is, I was just analyzing it from a view point were aspies would be "bad" at it. I've been taking a photography class for the last semester and we did a bit of the more artistic stuff. We also had an emotion project and portrait project, and I could see how aspies could tend to be bad at those, by I don't see any reason why they would be bad at the full range of photography.

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2011, 2:00 pm

Sure you can. Science is the artiest art of all.

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

11 Dec 2011, 2:13 pm

Ganondox wrote:
I know photography can be a lot more artistic than it usually is, I was just analyzing it from a view point were aspies would be "bad" at it. I've been taking a photography class for the last semester and we did a bit of the more artistic stuff. We also had an emotion project and portrait project, and I could see how aspies could tend to be bad at those, by I don't see any reason why they would be bad at the full range of photography.

That's another stereotype I have trouble swallowing: that Aspies are bad at art because we (supposedly) lack emotional insight.
First of all, the emotional content of art is subjective. If the art we produce conveys the emotion we intend, and people
find fault with that emotion, then the fault they find is psychological, not artistic.

Second, and more important, not all art has emotional content, or is meant to. Take, for example, fractal art: http://browse.deviantart.com/digitalart/fractals/
or abstract photography http://browse.deviantart.com/photography/abstract/
or microscopic photography or sky-scapes.
I can't speak for every artist, but in general, the forms themselves are more important than the emotion they're trying to convey.
We don't look at those genres to feel emotionally moved, we look at them so we can see something cool.
Not all art needs an emotional purpose to be worthwhile. Some art is made better because it has no such attachments.

The other funny thing about art (that works in the artists favor) is that if you miss the mark: say a character from a story
who is supposed to be serene and placid has a raised eyebrow, or the hint of a smirk, you can rationalize it later by
saying that's what you intended. You can say that the artwork is deliberately ironic, or that the story you're telling is
somehow more true to life than the original. In a field awash in ambiguity, subjectivity, subtlety, and misinterpretation,
it's hard to go wrong. :lol:

readingbetweenlines
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2011, 2:21 pm

Fatal-Noogie wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

etc etc etc

@Rational If you're interested in photography, take some classes and see if it's right for I'm a hopeless enthusiast. :mrgreen: )

Thank you. Spot on. Saves me a long argument about why photography IS an art form.

To the OP: yes you can develop your skills in all art forms given sufficient motivation, time, application, etc. that's not saying you'll be fantastically good at all of them. Innate talent does come into it, as well as physical suitedness for ballet etc).