Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Puzelle
Raven
Raven

06 May 2010, 7:58 pm

I have noticed that some aspies have ADHD-like traits, wherefore some of us also are on ADHD medication.

I have been taking Concerta for around 2 months. I started with 18mg a day but quickly stepped up dosage, and now I take 54mg a day. I've been told this is normal, but I can't help wondering (and worrying) if this drug will seize having the effect it has at present.
If Concerta's tolerance is as tolerance is with most drugs, it doesn't look good because Concerta is clearly not the healthiest chemical in existence, and I really do not want to take more than the 54mg a day.

I know the more general basics about Concerta (it's chemical make-up and so on), it's the everyday experiences of those who take it on a daily basis that I would like to learn from.

I'm trying to make a decision about a possible future use, or discontinued use, of Concerta and to prepare for this decision. But before I make it I'd like to ask those of you guys who have experience with Concerta: Did the drug work?/stop working?

All information any of you can add about Concerta (and especially it's longterm effectiveness) is very appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Zhawq.

blastoff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 May 2010, 8:49 pm

I was on Concerta for about six months, until about a month ago. Like you, I seemed to develop a 'tolerance' to it, or maybe it's just that it never worked as well as I thought it did, and it took me five months to figure that out. :roll:

If we're going to talk about long-term side effects of meds, I figure I'm pretty well screwed at this point no matter *what* I do from here on out.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2010, 8:57 pm

I was on Ritalin and then Concerta for years and then suddenly developed severe facial tics. I went off and they went away after a month. I am now on Strattera and can't be on a stimulant. I pretty much expected them to completely fix the problems but it just doesn't. I supplement with a large dose of B12 and that really helps.

Moony
Toucan
Toucan

06 May 2010, 9:02 pm

I was on Concerta from late 5th Grade when I was incorrectly diagnosed with ADHD until 8th Grade when I started skipping off it. That was the point where I realised I was being fed untested chemicals without my consent. That, and I started getting a listless, anxious feeling when I took. I'm off it now. That's my experience with Concerta.

Note: I'm 15. I should put that in my sig.

Darkword
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2010, 9:25 pm

Concerta gave me the listless/anxious feelings others are describing and also almost completely eliminated my appetite. Well I suppose I could tell when I was supposed to be hungry, I'd get a sort of head ache.

Can't help you on long-term effectiveness, I took it for a while but found it difficult to take regularly.

The only drug I ever took regularly, Adderall, more or less affected me the same way(Thought it was a necessary evil to stop me from procrastinating about high school work), but I found no problems with tolerance. In fact I usually took half doses just to take off a bit of the edge(as prescribed of course).

Puzelle
Raven
Raven

09 May 2010, 12:27 pm

Hey guys,

I have read all of your replies (I did that the same day when you wrote them), and I was about to respond. But I want to make my response worthy of your time, and I want to add to the debate also. Because of this it has taken a little longer than usual to finish the post, and now I have to go and keep an appointment with my friend.

So what I'm saying is: I will be back hopefully tomorrow, where I'll post a response to the things you've said.

And also: New replies are more than welcome! :-)

Zhawq.

Puzelle
Raven
Raven

22 May 2010, 7:52 am

Hey again,

... I've posted a new question in relation to the topic of ADHD Medication.

I call the debate: "Drowsy: ADHD Meds", and it is located in the 'General Sutism Discussion' forum.

If you're interested, check it out here:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp2798163.html#2798163

Rodland
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2011, 9:26 am

I am trying 72mg daily dose of Concerta right now in order to alleviate my ADD symptoms (mostly, my thoughts are wandering in a such intense way that my ability to concentrate is poor).

I have been trying smaller doses previously without any helpful effect.

Now after taking 72mg for four days, my ability to concentrate has been just worse (I also sleep considerably less).

My doctor told me in advance that I should keep on taking pills despite of potential increased anxiety since my body may get used to it and then positive effects might appear

But I am doubtful whether any positive effects can appear after four problematic days. I know usually positive effects are felt almost immediately.

Any opinions, should I already give it up? (Next thing we are going to try is atomoxetine)

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 10:25 am

I thought this was some weird aspie trait like Gestalt Perception.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html