Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

spaceappleseed
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Dec 2011, 12:39 am

I'm in the process of being evaluated for AS and the doctor is interested in talking to my husband and mom. I think this is great since I'm sure they can provide some useful information, and especially since the doctor I was previously seeing had no interest in hearing from anyone who was close to me. My husband is obviously no problem; he knows everything about me and would probably love to tell someone all about the crazy things! But I have no idea how to ask my mom if she's willing to talk to the doctor. I've never been comfortable telling her about my problems, if I'm sick, etc; much less telling her that I think I have an autism spectrum disorder.

How should I ask her? Should I ask her at all? I'm sure that she'll say yes, but is it worth the stress of actually telling her about it? Help!

RW665
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 1:07 am

When I first started thinking about getting diagnosed (it was last year and I was 22) I had to tell my mom. I never talk to my mother about these sort of things, so it was uncomfortable. I just began with asking her if she ever noticed certain behaviors when I was little and if she ever suspected something. Then I eventually told her of my suspicions and about wanting to see a doctor. I think it would be worth it to ask her, she's known you since you were born.

Morbid Malign's askblog: http://askmorbidmalign.tumblr.com/

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 11:10 am

If that creates a lot of discomfort for you I think you could try first to work things without her. You might ask her to write a letter about your childhood. But if doctor insists then maybe it's for the best maybe she would get her answers in the process as well.