Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2020, 8:36 pm

when I was diagnosed it said in the observation that I did not show the appropriate range of expressions and basically, that mine were quite limited compared to what was normal. At the time my mental health was awful and when that is the case, it is sort of like I become more autistic and so I would often be quite deadpan etc.

Now that I'm older, I think I am too expressive and in a childish manner. I can't hide when I am stressed or sad well at all, I accidentally make people feel guilty when I apologise because of the strength of my guilty face and, when I am happy/excited I can't help but to stim from excitement, often stamping my feet or jumping. Luckily this is viewed as 'cute'. In general, I am quite animated and in a way that is a bit weird.

Has anyone else had this sort of shift and are you more over or under expressive?

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2020, 10:10 pm

Hi Iv :) - yes, I'm similar in that I was alot more reserved when younger, but now I'm alot more expressive(this can be in a child-like fun manner) though ONLY with those closest to me, family. I tend to remain "on guard" and far more deadpan, unless I've come to know people very well, and only then am able to genuinely be myself.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2020, 10:17 pm

I have noticed big differences after burnout when I become "Fragile". I can't mask and start doing things in ways that stand out more.
Now I have not beenassessed so I may not be on the spectrum... But regardless to that, when I have hit the fragile stage, it is like I become far more autistic in my ways? And it is not purpously done. I may take a long time and several attempts of grabbing a product and going to walk to pay for it but then changing my mind and tking it back, and then deciding to go back to get it... And then changing my mind again unble to make the decision... Meanwhile store security guards notice this ans I et bnned from their store. I am now banned from several large stores yet I have never stolen anything from them. Just it looks like I am suspicious. Yet for me, whilw I feel fragile, trying to make decisions isn't easy. Actually just going in some stores is a "No" as they maybe too crowded, or the isles too narrow so if I do go in I am in panic stage and all aggity so I look like I am hiding something! And the more i feel like I look suspicious, the more panicky I get....

But at times when I am fully recovered (Or before I ever had burnout) I am able to mask well and appear natural and normal and I am perfectly able.

One thing where I start to look and am percieved like I am drunk is when I start to go into a partial shutdown. So that can effect how I am recieved.... As I will start to get agity as I am trying to get out of the store to lie down somewhere quiet ad hidden outside, and I only have a limited amount of time to do so before I may fully shut down... So this could make sone store security guards think I have stolen something prehaps?

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2020, 7:30 am

Juliette wrote:
Hi Iv :) - yes, I'm similar in that I was alot more reserved when younger, but now I'm alot more expressive(this can be in a child-like fun manner) though ONLY with those closest to me, family. I tend to remain "on guard" and far more deadpan, unless I've come to know people very well, and only then am able to genuinely be myself.

Hi again :). I have only really noticed it this year and I think it is because despite all the stress I'm going throuhh in college and the social confusion, at least a bit of me recognises that I am safe where I am and don't really need to worry about being bullied anymore for the time being. Or it could just be that all the new info is making it so that masking fully would be too exhausting.

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2020, 7:33 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
I have noticed big differences after burnout when I become "Fragile". I can't mask and start doing things in ways that stand out more.
Now I have not beenassessed so I may not be on the spectrum... But regardless to that, when I have hit the fragile stage, it is like I become far more autistic in my ways? And it is not purpously done. I may take a long time and several attempts of grabbing a product and going to walk to pay for it but then changing my mind and tking it back, and then deciding to go back to get it... And then changing my mind again unble to make the decision... Meanwhile store security guards notice this ans I et bnned from their store. I am now banned from several large stores yet I have never stolen anything from them. Just it looks like I am suspicious. Yet for me, whilw I feel fragile, trying to make decisions isn't easy. Actually just going in some stores is a "No" as they maybe too crowded, or the isles too narrow so if I do go in I am in panic stage and all aggity so I look like I am hiding something! And the more i feel like I look suspicious, the more panicky I get....

But at times when I am fully recovered (Or before I ever had burnout) I am able to mask well and appear natural and normal and I am perfectly able.

One thing where I start to look and am percieved like I am drunk is when I start to go into a partial shutdown. So that can effect how I am recieved.... As I will start to get agity as I am trying to get out of the store to lie down somewhere quiet ad hidden outside, and I only have a limited amount of time to do so before I may fully shut down... So this could make sone store security guards think I have stolen something prehaps?

I also act more on the autistic side when I'm stressed. It's really annoying in my house when me my mother and sister are stressed. My sister is diagnosed and my mum is but even if she isn't on the spectrum, she has loads of aspects from it. It's a cycle of people trying to joke to improve the mood and incurring wrath as we all take it seriously.

I've never personally been accused of stealing (spare one time my friend thought it would be a good idea to joke we were inside a shop) but I think that's cus inside shops my friends say I look terrified. I look to scared to be suspected for being shifty.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2020, 8:34 am

Mountain Goat wrote:

I'm a bit like Mountain Goat. When I get seriously stressed and depressed I am more obviously autistic as I don't have the mental energy to mask.

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 7:47 pm

aquafelix wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

I'm a bit like Mountain Goat. When I get seriously stressed and depressed I am more obviously autistic as I don't have the mental energy to mask.

Yeah it can kinda suck. I currently can't help but trip up loads at the moment socially because of masking being too much stress and I don't want to make my alopecia worse.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 9:37 pm

I'm generally more reserved. I think I've always been that way inclined, but I think I've become more reserved as I've gotten older.

In saying that, I'm pretty open about my emotions and stuff. I'm just not generally all that expressive.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 10:38 pm

Yes my friend said I behave like a 'silent film actress' but she didn't realize (nor did I ) I had been watching silent films with the unconscious intent to learn how to act physically to communicate my inner feelings.
Sometimes people also think you're too expressive and before (even 10 years ago) the same people told you you're too 'flat' and 'seem angry' all the time when you weren't. Or too loud/hyper, laughing too much, etc. It's always something, isn't it.

But also Rose Guedes did a video on this.

It's normal in ASD depending on the temperament of the person and their life experiences. It's not going to fall into the in-built pattern that NTs have which reduces or increases in tune with everyone around them. It's going to seem odd but if you think of NTs they do all that too, but they got it out in childhood and teenage and early twenties... or they still do it but at specific times (they seem to have programming that tells them when not to be over expressive or hyper more strongly)..

Also their brains seem more regulated. Even if it's stuff they think about, their brain lets them think about it only for a certain duration and degree (not too intently) and then lets it go. Same with feelings.

Ours are more dependent on sleep, routine, what we're thinking about, sensory and brain is always processing more than them at any given time, so emotions and feelings as well seem superficial but strong, to outsiders.

And we express it as we pick up on it from films and observing and developmentally our timeline is unique... so it's not overly..
it's fine. It's just not in line with other people.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 10:44 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:

you know what security guards always think that of me too. It really gets me shaken up and fuming mad inside, and agitated wishing I could prove to them my brain is not like that, but people always assume the worst of me.

The 'drunk ' seeming feeling or mood or dizziness, not just us but i see it in real life (as in , i have been around them physically) autistic people and even in children like my cousin's kid, it comes and goes, that's why the world needs to learn more about us rather than the other way around ... therapy and all that cannot only go 1 way...
it's not fair to expect you to be burdened with THEIR responsibility to mind their thoughts/reactions, and their duty is also not to assume the worst of you. i hope more and more training and knowledge of ASD happens not just superfluous campaigns 'feel-good' stuff, but actual substantial education on ASD.

actually teachers are becoming more open to it and knowledgeable about it here, so that is giving me hope. in fact, they advocate better for the child sometimes, than the parents, because Early Interventionists come by to check and work with them and show and explain to them how to give the child a break, overwhelming, explain about moods, etc.
So it's actually quite promising for the future, I just hope the adults nowadays get a break too from always being judged as if they are evil