Not aspie, but very mild on the spectrum 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Not aspie, on spectrum, and not mild 12%  12%  [ 7 ]
NT 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 59

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 9:18 pm

Is it just me or does it seem that ALOT of people on here claim to be mild aspies. I would suspect some of the so called mild aspies are either awkward or weird NTs or not so mild aspies. Ideally in the aspie pop you would think there would be an equal number of mild, moderate and severe. Or does wp have a disproportional rep of aspies?

Or is the aspergers/autism pop like a bell curve as in the amount of mild people on the spectrum are going to be higher then severe. Yes a far fetched theory but I someone posted that on here and I found that theory very interesting.

Edit: Im trying to say that, ALOT of people on here are "claiming" to be mild but are you really mild. Seeing from my poll so far hmm, under half claim to be mild aspies. There are definetely a lot of people on here that do recognize that there not so mild.

Sorry for the other autism diagnosis. I targetted mild aspies cause when you say mild autism it gets really really confusing. Cause Aspergers alone, many of PDD-NOS, and HFA is all considered mild forms of autism technically. So Im talking mild mild autism if that makes any sense.

Last edited by Ai_Ling on 13 Dec 2011, 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

12 Dec 2011, 9:21 pm

I think sometimes, it's a matter of people thinking they're mild and not really knowing how severe their problems really are.

I say this because that was me, until other people told me I didn't sound mild at all.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 9:21 pm

Ai_Ling wrote:
Is it just me or does it seem that ALOT of people on here claim to be mild aspies. I would suspect some of the so called mild aspies are either awkward or weird NTs or not so mild aspies. Ideally in the aspie pop you would think there would be an equal number of mild, moderate and severe. Or does wp have a disproportional rep of aspies?

Or is the aspergers/autism pop like a bell curve as in the amount of mild people on the spectrum are going to be higher then severe. Yes a far fetched theory but I someone posted that on here and I found that theory very interesting.

Define mild, but it actually makes sense for it to be on a bellcurve, as mild is closer to normal, and normal comes at higher rates than abnormal.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 9:26 pm

198 out of 200. In therapy since I was a teenager. Making a complete wreck of my life, socially and financially.

Mild? No.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 9:51 pm

I am not as aspie--have classic autism. And I am not mild, but not LFA either.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 10:04 pm

I consider myself a mild Aspie since I can drive and live on my own.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 10:26 pm

I don't know if I have AS but whatever I have is not mild. My ADHD is definitely not mild. Even though I am able to live (mostly) on my own, I can drive, I can work, I can do my own shopping and most other necessary activities on my own, it takes ALL my energy to handle those things. I have no life beyond that, I have no social life at all and no relationships anymore except with family. I am unable to do the things I wanted to do in life, the things I should have been able to do according to my natural talents and intelligence. Just being able to function and take care of one's self does not make the condition "mild".

shyengineer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2011, 10:43 pm

Ai_Ling wrote:
I would suspect some of the so called mild aspies are either awkward or weird NTs or not so mild aspies.

It's probably because many people on here are undiagnosed and have probably just felt odd all their lives, but have managed to get by and cope and therefore avoid diagnosis. There are some in that grey area where they have aspie traits but may not actually qualify for an official diagnosis. I'm somewhere on the mild/grey area bit and I'll never know, nor care much to know. I associate with many of the traits, which helps me to overcome the problems associated with them, and work with the good bits - in theory anyway :P

To me, getting by regardless of what you have, would be considered mild. Moderate would be requiring accommodation by others and severe would be requiring assistance from others. Statistically, I would assume that that you have 'normal' in the middle of the bell curve, with mild aspies not far from it, and fewer and fewer getting more severe. Not sure what is at the other end of the bell curve - motivational speakers?

My psychologist said I have mild to moderate depression, yet I didn't leave the house for a month - I think 'severe' is reserved for extreme cases.

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 10:46 pm

I don't consider myself mild at all but sometimes I seem mild or almost NT to ppl in the right place at the right time. Customers I serve at my work is an example. I try my best to act NT to make them happy and usually I can pull it off except it drains me. On a bad day a customer said something because they noticed I wasn't even trying to make eye contact. The ppl that really know me would never call me mild at all. Not even my boss who is fairly educated would call me mild. I've often met NTs who are very uneducated on ASDs telling me they don't think I even have AS. I brush it off though because they don't even have a clue what I've gone through all my life.

Rax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Dec 2011, 11:44 pm

I was writing a reply when I just noticed that I felt obligated to speak like an Aspie while posting. Using words like Illogical and stuff. I am mild because I don't have many social problems (Emphasis on the word many, I have some) I find it easy to make friends with certain people but every one else thinks I'm really weird. I also never get over stimulated and have no special interests, I also have decent theory of the mind and show empathy a bit worse then average people (I am diagnosed if your wondering) So this along with a lot of other stuff makes me mild in my opinion. (And my family and closest friends opinions)

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 12:41 am

Ganondox wrote:
Define mild, but it actually makes sense for it to be on a bellcurve, as mild is closer to normal, and normal comes at higher rates than abnormal.

Its hard for me to define mild. My guess is someone who can mostly function, have meaningful relationships, hold down a job, support themselves and take care of themselves. Have a seemingly normal life on the outside but may not have a so normal life when you look closer. Blends in with NTs mostly. When it comes down to the inside, there are still struggles and issues which are aspergers related. They have symptoms as listed on the DSM but they are not as affected by the symptoms as more severe aspies.

My only thing with the bell curve theory is that wouldnt there be a much higher incidence of HFA/aspergers then autism. I wish I could find an accurate stat on percentage of spectrum is aspergers.

Quote:
Customers I serve at my work is an example. I try my best to act NT to make them happy and usually I can pull it off except it drains me. On a bad day a customer said something because they noticed I wasn't even trying to make eye contact.

I give you credit, doing this kinda job aint easy. My job is customer service oriented as well and Im almost always so spaced out with all the multitasking, I cant think straight. So if customers ask me a question that is not easy, I dont react very well.

AQ: 33
Borderline aspie here

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 12:50 am

I know I am mild. My mom says I am mild and other aspies seem to struggle more than me so I know I am mild. I think everything about me is mild. I have found relationships difficult and getting them in real life nearly impossible. I have had problems finding jobs but yet I can hold one down but finding one had always been tough for me. Plus I struggled in school with learning and I did fine with school work as a child but as I got older, it got harder and harder so I started to struggle more. I don't seem mild when I fall under stress because of the anxiety but I blame the anxiety, not the AS.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 1:03 am

I did not answer the question, as I am not sure if I am on the spectrum or not, and I didn't want to skew your results. All I know is that I have some big sensory issues, certain facial recognition problems, a few obsessions and I never want to see another psychiatrist ever again. Otherwise I'd say I'm pretty much like everyone else. So if I am on the spectrum I would assume I am either HFA or mild Aspie.

I would like to apologize to wrongplanet if I just turn out to be just one of a million internet hypochondriacs, but I do find information I read here quite useful for coping with my oversensitization to sound.

PicnicSupplies
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Dec 2011, 3:38 am

Not everyone on here is an aspie but sometimes it seems like that's the only AS disorder around.

PS: I'm not an ASPIE.

No job, I want to go back to school, maybe I'll live alone one day, not yet though. But hey, my cats love me! Seriously I'm good with cats. 2 Cats--not a crazy cat person.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 4:05 am

I have quite a few mild bits. It's just that the other bits are somewhat moderate, so they bring me down in regards to the normal stuff. I appear very mild upon first glance.

After all, I was 25 when I hit the wall.

I'd say, objectively, mild to moderate for Asperger's.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

13 Dec 2011, 4:12 am

Fern wrote:
I would like to apologize to wrongplanet if I just turn out to be just one of a million internet hypochondriacs, but I do find information I read here quite useful for coping with my oversensitization to sound.

Don't apologize for being here. You might not be autistic, but a lot of people come here who aren't. It's not a thing.

But I think a lot of people who come here seem to be habituated to apologizing for existing and taking up any space at all, and you don't have to do that, especially not here.

Oh, I forgot to add, re people telling me I'm not mild:

My therapist thinks I should look into getting a support person to help me with daily stuff. Since I'm living with family at the moment, I do not need one, but it looks like if I want to live alone, I almost certainly will.