Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 10:50 am

Is it normal for aspies to get "overtired" if there's too much socializing in one day? Like you're tired, even exhausted, but can't rest because your mind is working overtime... I'm experiencing that right now. I've had three byrocratic things to take care of today (bank and two different social service places) and even though I know I'm exhausted and need to rest, my mind simply won't let me. My lover (also as) is sleeping next to me and I know I'm safe, but my mind just won't switch from survival mode to sleep mode. I'm really anxious, almost having a panic attac, after everything that has happened today. Does anyone else have the same thing? Any ideas about what can help?

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 11:42 am

Heidi80 wrote:
Is it normal for aspies to get "overtired" if there's too much socializing in one day? Like you're tired, even exhausted, but can't rest because your mind is working overtime... I'm experiencing that right now. I've had three byrocratic things to take care of today (bank and two different social service places) and even though I know I'm exhausted and need to rest, my mind simply won't let me. My lover (also as) is sleeping next to me and I know I'm safe, but my mind just won't switch from survival mode to sleep mode. I'm really anxious, almost having a panic attac, after everything that has happened today. Does anyone else have the same thing? Any ideas about what can help?

I believe people with Aspergers and other forms of Autism probably need more 'me' time than others. Sometimes, situations and circumstances that require( face to face) interaction and navigation within a particular social environment(especially bureaucratic) can be daunting. Often-times, you don't feel the effects of those interactions while you are engaged in them. It's at the end of the hour, day, week, month, or year when your brain sends numerous distress signals out to your body..... informing you that it's time to pull back. I believe when those signals are ignored meltdowns can occur.

You might have to spread out your bureaucratic responsibilities to whatever feels comfortable to you BUT allows you to take care of your business in a timely fashion.

TheSunAlsoRises

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 1:32 pm

Yes I get very exhausted from social interactions all the time.

nikki15
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Dec 2011, 2:06 pm

Too much socializing makes me feel like a zombie.

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 2:55 pm

Socializing is really tiring for me. I go home as early as I politely can and need everything available - alcohol, stimming, music, sweets, some fiction - to calm me down and find my "groove" again.

AlastorX
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Dec 2011, 6:58 pm

Since, more than often, socializing is a task for me and requires energy I certainly do get tired. Specially when I try to act as normal as I can.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 12:40 am

I don't exactly do what I consider "socializing" but anytime I have to be around a lot of people, like continuously interacting with people, it's exhausting. Long meetings and such are pure torture. It's not just that it makes me tired but I leave with my mind racing with all the things I observed and took note of, remembering the things people said to me and wondering what it all meant, pretty much analyzing and overthinking every aspect of what went on. It takes me hours to settle down and I usually have to vent about all the little things that annoyed me, until I finally just collapse and fall asleep. After a major "social" event I pretty much can't do anything else the rest of the day.

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 7:42 am

dianthus wrote:
I don't exactly do what I consider "socializing" but anytime I have to be around a lot of people, like continuously interacting with people, it's exhausting. Long meetings and such are pure torture. It's not just that it makes me tired but I leave with my mind racing with all the things I observed and took note of, remembering the things people said to me and wondering what it all meant, pretty much analyzing and overthinking every aspect of what went on. It takes me hours to settle down and I usually have to vent about all the little things that annoyed me, until I finally just collapse and fall asleep. After a major "social" event I pretty much can't do anything else the rest of the day.

yeah, this is so me. I can somehow keep my mind in control during a (short) social thing, but after it's over my mind starts to race and I'm analyzing everything. I also need to vent to other aspies after such events

WalkingDoctor
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Dec 2011, 10:59 am

Yes, I have this problem all the time. I coach a dance team and after our competitions I am extremely exhausted by everything. The noise, all the people, having to talk loudly but when I get home I can't "wind" down. I feel like a "caged wolf," where I need to pace or stim or something for quite awhile before I can sleep.

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 2:14 pm

I am definitely like this too.. After any kind of social event i need to have time alone to sortof "recharge". Tend to over- analyze things also..

WalkingDoctor
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Dec 2011, 2:18 pm

I definitely over analyze! Does this cause you a lot of anxiety? I always feel like I said or did something weird or awkward.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 3:11 pm

I will replay things I said or did over and over wondering if I did the right thing.

Mostly I just feel overwhelmed after a social event. Like it was all too much to take in while it was happening and it takes me hours to process and unravel the details of what went on.