Would you rather be autistic or have BPD?

Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

23 Dec 2011, 2:13 am

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
I found the post (from another ASD forum) at the link interesting. Apparently there is more than one kind of BPD. And, as with ASDs the descriptions of BPD are an outside-in view, which deliberately leaves out internal states. So, what might look like manipulative behavior may actually be due to an empathy failure in the viewer/assessor, since the person may be in an extremely dysphoric state (beyond normal experience).

http://asdgestalt.com/viewtopic.php?p=43169#p43169

The whole thread is actually pretty good.

^^^^^

There are nine symptoms in the DSM-IV, and only five are required for a diagnosis. Or in my case, only 1.5 symptoms were apparently necessary. But that means there's a lot of potential variation, although they tend to center around common elements (at least from what I've read) that may or may not be described by symptoms.

Honestly, everything I know, I think that it has very little business being Axis II.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 7:41 am

I'd rather be autistic, because I see my autism as something to celebrate. :)

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 8:32 am

Autistic, hands down.

Poke
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 9:11 am

Ganondox wrote:
Leme see, emotionally unstable or weird.

So much misunderstanding on this forum.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 10:07 am

I'd rather just be myself. I am getting tired of labelling and being labelled. I am a human being and I am what I am because I am. No more labels required.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 10:25 am

Poke wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Leme see, emotionally unstable or weird.

So much misunderstanding on this forum.

Yep, I don't know shiz about BPD.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 11:56 am

purchase wrote:
Agreed. None of the personality disorders are very scientifically defined. I have been in the worst emotional pain and was told that my cutting myself and talking about suicide was a ploy for attention. There's such a fundamental misunderstanding of EVERYTHING in that idea... the instinct to hurt oneself may have evolved for its benefit of calling attention to a person's illness, yes... that's about the extent of it. No one hurts themselves if they can help it.

People will claim your emotion is fake and a manipulative ploy if from their perspective it looks out of proportion. Chastising someone for experiencing an intolerable emotion and expressing it negatively is like chastising someone for screaming and thrashing when they're set on fire. People expect that if you merely rationalize something the way they do it will get rid of the emotion, as if it's a mere intellectual feat and you're just an idiot for feeling the way you do. Also, someone feeling manipulated by you doesn't imply that your behavior is some calculated ploy.

Anyways, I don't know if I have BPD. I score high on a lot of the traits and I definitely have the "emotional dysregulation" issues. I don't really fit all the symptoms though. Being autistic and asexual seems to offset a lot of the stereotypical symptoms. My bad irritability issues may be partially due to all the anti-depressants I'm taking not working too well.

I can relate just enough to know I'd vastly prefer to just be autistic.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 6:26 pm

I'm neither, but I wouldn't care for the suspicious natured quickly polarized mental set of BPD. The moods are catastrophic from one extreme to another, and there is more than a general tendency for these to be verbally abusive ..... It's all compartmentalized and reason bounces off here due to the "splitting." If you are tough like a punching bag, or can be like a duck and let the water roll off, you'll do OK around it. :lol:

I'd take mild Aspergers. If my senses were not to subject to overload, I'd take ToM issues any day. In fact I wonder myself if I'd swap it out for my ADD at times.

Last edited by Mdyar on 27 Dec 2011, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 6:48 pm

Cake.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 8:23 pm

I was on a self-harm forum a while back. I was one of the few people there without BPD. Having seen what they go through, I'd take an ASD over that any day.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2011, 1:37 pm

averin wrote:
Would you rather be autistic or have borderline personality disorder?

Suicidal behavior is "normal" for people with BPD while talking about uninteresting things is "normal" for autistics.
severe autism can lead you to be a mute grown up baby, but happiness is always possible right? severe BPD can be a death sentence, in fact I bet it often is.

So I think I'd rather be autistic.

I have neither and I have heavy aspects of both, my bipolar sort of gives the "effect" of BPD while my problems with psychosis look like autism.

Last edited by Phonic on 24 Dec 2011, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2011, 1:39 pm

Verdandi wrote:

Honestly, everything I know, I think that it has very little business being Axis II.

Do you agree that it should be a mood disorder perhaps? Or even a form of Bipolar disorder as some professionals have suggested?

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2011, 1:47 pm

Would you rather be autistic or have BPD?

I can not imagine how a bird feels about being born that way.
At times I wish I could fly, but there are many other consequences I would rather not deal with.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2011, 1:54 pm

I don't see what the point of this is......just so everyone can say they are glad they aren't like people with BPD, just seems a little unessisary. I think we have pleanty of threads about how horrible of a condition BPD is and how everyone with it is an evil, manipulative abuser. Come on why the need to compare so much?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

24 Dec 2011, 1:59 pm

Phonic wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

Do you agree that it should be a mood disorder perhaps? Or even a form of Bipolar disorder as some professionals have suggested?

It seems to be a matter of emotional dysregulation and hypersensitivity to others' moods and actions. I am not sure if it would be either, as I think bipolar's mood cycling is significantly more stable. It does seem to be very mood disorder.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2011, 2:01 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Phonic wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

It seems to be a matter of emotional dysregulation and hypersensitivity to others' moods and actions. I am not sure if it would be either, as I think bipolar's mood cycling is significantly more stable. It does seem to be very mood disorder.

A mood disorder? don't think so because it's not just about the mood........BPD involves a lot of specific personality traits not just problems with emotions and moods. So it would not be a good idea to lump it in with mood disorders.