Are strange accents part of Asperger's?

Page 3 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ZipoCXG
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Dec 2011, 10:58 pm

I'm not sure if this is really an accent, but a lot of people say a have a rather deep voice for a girl. People sometimes make fun of me because of it.

Last edited by ZipoCXG on 25 Dec 2011, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 11:11 pm

theaspiemusician wrote:
jackmt wrote:
theaspiemusician wrote:
When I say "about" I say "A Boat"

Eastern Canada, right?

rofl and im american :D

I do it too... I'm also American. Whut?
I also say "sore-y" for sorry.

theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2011, 11:15 pm

ZipoCXG wrote:
I'm not sure id this is really an accent, but a lot of people say a have a rather deep voice for a girl. People sometimes make fun of me because of it.

my voice is low too. some people think i try to but ~sings~ I was born this way! rofl

jackmt
Raven
Raven

26 Dec 2011, 12:16 am

theaspiemusician wrote:
jackmt wrote:
theaspiemusician wrote:

Eastern Canada, right?

I always tended to pick up the accent of whoever I was around. And I am great at putting on foreign accents. It never got me into trouble till I did it in backwoods Georgia; they knew I was a Yankee and they thought I was making fun of them. I saw their annoyance and realized quickly (enough) to stop before I got my mule kicked.

And, by the way, what does rofl stand for/mean?

theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Dec 2011, 1:07 am

jackmt wrote:
theaspiemusician wrote:
jackmt wrote:
theaspiemusician wrote:

Eastern Canada, right?

I always tended to pick up the accent of whoever I was around. And I am great at putting on foreign accents. It never got me into trouble till I did it in backwoods Georgia; they knew I was a Yankee and they thought I was making fun of them. I saw their annoyance and realized quickly (enough) to stop before I got my mule kicked.

And, by the way, what does rofl stand for/mean?

rolling on the floor laughin

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 1:12 am

Roflcopter.

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Dec 2011, 1:28 am

I pronounce some words weird. It could be because I picked them up from people who pronounce them different. I pick up accents very easily. My intonation also keeps changing a lot. Not like people notice the change in intonation anyway. They say I sound robotic.

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 10:48 am

I talk too fast. People have asked me if I'm from New York, but a friend listened closely to me and analyzed, and he said that my words are all pronounced same old SEKansas way, just faster. I can slow down if I think about it and am careful, but I can't think about speed and about what I'm saying at the same time. So reading the lesson aloud in church, or playing a part I know so well I can say it cold, I'm a "normal" speed.

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 2:48 pm

I speak with a BBC accent and always have, despite the fact that none of my family do. They speak with a, for lack of a better word 'low class' accent. Heavy use of double negatives, little/no elocution, t and g dropping, 'aint', etc, etc.

My mum has often said she hasn't got a clue why I speak like that.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 3:27 pm

One of the few people I've met who have a legitimate diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome, was always being teased and harassed by kids (even those younger than him) about being ret*d and "gay". He did have the stereotypical "gay lisp". Even before he told me he had AS, I always suspected he was on the spectrum. I was watching a video on you tube about AS and the narrator had a voice like Jaleel White's infamous character, Steve Irkle. I personally wish I had an Irish accent.

Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 11:44 pm

I have been told, several times, that I have an unusual accent. A doctor asked if I was from another area, elsewhere in the country (Sweden), due to my accent sounding alike it, except not really like it, anyway. I figure this has to do with that I just choose various ways of speaking that I prefer the most. I do the same with English. I also invent words for where it's desperately needed, although I do it in a manner that others can understand, and hopefully also pick up on.

Uncajunga
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Dec 2011, 1:11 pm

For me its more like a complete lack of an accent. I was born and raised in East Tennessee, my family all having distinctly Southern accents for the most part. At every job I would always get asked where I was from by co-workers, or the classic "You ain't from around here, are ya?" from customers. My natural voice is lacking in accent, but with a little bit of observation I can typically mimic any accent almost perfectly. I get told frequently I have a voice made for radio.

mattw
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Dec 2011, 7:46 pm

I talk with a strong Yorkshire accent; this is where I live and was born. I do however change my accent depending where in the area I am and have been told by many people that my accent is the strongest Yorkshire accent people have ever heard.

restlesspirit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jan 2013, 12:17 pm

wow.. I have been told i have an accent from childhood.. but not one people can identify with,, a person who just met me from an online chat said I have an accent but he cant place it, another verification of aspergers. interesting

SandsOfTheSoul
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jan 2013, 12:29 pm

In my head and also out loud I said American pronunciations sometimes rather than British. Eg. Words like military in u.s is mil-eh-terry sort of and in British is more like mil-eh-tree. That's a lot of American tv and films for you.

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 12:32 pm

theaspiemusician wrote:
I have this weird accent I can't even place that I shouldn't have because it doesn't sound ANYTHING like everyone elses around me. I don't know if this is an Asperger's thing or if this accent is from something else. I've been told it's almost German but also mixed with Irish, but my friends could be wrong. I heard you can get this from a stroke, and I had a type of seizure when I was 3 that was SIMILAR to a stroke. It could have done something like that, but I haven't had the accent exactly that long. Anyone know what this could be?

Did you have speech delays as a child? You may have developed your own accent as a way of making speaking easier for yourself. :?:

I've noticed that some people on the spectrum have an unusual way of saying the letter "T". It has a subtle "TH" or "S" sound to it.