If there was a "cure" to autism/aspergers would u?

Page 1 of 9 [ 134 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Dasaniman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2011, 1:24 pm

would you take it ? it was free being given out by the government :?:

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 1:47 pm

If there was a cure it should be optional, but at this point, I think my answer is YES. I'm completely sick of constantly struggling and spending my life in utter confusion.

Shanzef
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Apr 2011, 1:49 pm

No I wouldn't.

Vork
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Apr 2011, 1:50 pm

The only part I would want cured is my lack of feeling empathy, it's like living in a void.

Dasaniman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2011, 1:54 pm

Shanzef wrote:
No I wouldn't.

hmm why not?

Dasaniman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2011, 1:55 pm

Vork wrote:
The only part I would want cured is my lack of feeling empathy, it's like living in a void.

having the empathy would make you feel more and then you would feel more depressed because you cant communicate and think like the NTs wouldent it?

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 2:05 pm

Shanzef wrote:
No I wouldn't.

Nor would I.

Dasaniman wrote:
hmm why not?

Because I am very happy with who I am at the moment, and I feel a cure would change that, and take away a lot of my personality. Also, a lot of positive things are coming out of the fact that I do have AS. I'm not saying it's all good, having it. It isn't. But nor is it all good being NT. But I can only speak for myself.

Dasaniman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2011, 2:10 pm

TenPencePiece wrote:
Shanzef wrote:
No I wouldn't.

Nor would I.

Dasaniman wrote:
hmm why not?

Because I am very happy with who I am at the moment, and I feel a cure would change that, and take away a lot of my personality. Also, a lot of positive things are coming out of the fact that I do have AS. I'm not saying it's all good, having it. It isn't. But nor is it all good being NT. But I can only speak for myself.

Your opinion will dramatically change after you turn 18 and hit the real world of adults and you have to care of yourself financially unless you are already on disability.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 2:11 pm

Not really. If anything NT's should be cured. I mean this in all seriousness.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 2:11 pm

If I did not have to relearn how to do things then yes I would. At 41 I am still young enough to meet someone in hopes of settling down to form a family.

Shanzef
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Apr 2011, 2:15 pm

TenPencePiece wrote:
Shanzef wrote:
No I wouldn't.

Nor would I.

Dasaniman wrote:
hmm why not?

This is pretty much the reason for me too, I don't like the idea that a cure would change who I am drastically.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 2:26 pm

Standard response:

1. No, I wouldn't want a cure.

2. This is not because I think autistic people are superior. It is because I want to be myself, and not someone else. Life with autism is a different kind of life, but it is not inferior, and there are more important things than not being disabled. Being myself is one of them.

3. A cure for autism is impossible, and will likely never happen, because we will find a prenatal test long before we find a cure, and when autistic fetuses can be aborted, research will stop.

4. In order to cure autism in an adult, theoretically, one would have to erase everything you had learned, re-wire your brain, and start from the ground up. It would be like having major brain damage and having to re-learn everything like an infant, and there would be very little of your original personality left. You would most likely not recover fully because the adult brain does not have the plasticity that a very young child's brain does.

I should just put this stuff in a text file and copy-paste it whenever somebody asks this question. It should get used about once a week.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 2:27 pm

No. Now if I could take out exactly what I wanted from of the autism, yes.

Dasaniman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2011, 2:31 pm

I see there is alot of pro autism people here, kind of seems like a paradox.

samuraiBSD
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Apr 2011, 2:40 pm

No. It would change a lot of fundamental facts about me. My sheer personality would probably change.

And for the record, if my kid turns out autistic, there won't be an abortion.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 2:44 pm

I would not take it, because that would change everything about me. My personality, tastes and interests have already been formed over the past 37 years. I don't wish to learn how to be a different person from who I am, now.