does someone need a support worker for life?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Belushi87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jan 2012, 11:02 pm

When someone has a support worker to help with whatever they need help with and overtime, it comes the time that they don’t need a worker to help them, and decides that they don’t need a worker anymore because they have another way of support.

If someone decides that their goals are met and want to continue with life without a support worker, can they say that they don’t need their support worker in the future?

Is having a support worker a lifelong thing, will a person who as a support worker always have a support worker or will there comes a time where the person decides that a support worker is no longer needed?

169Kitty
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jan 2012, 12:43 am

I had someone who came into my home a total of 4 hours a week then as some goals got met we went to two hours a week then I got to a point where I thought I could do everything on my own. (mostly home organizational type stuff)

I need someone two hours a week, but my current insurance doesn't cover these services. I was told I could always start services again with no problem.

So, I think you should have a conversation with your worker about slowly decreasing the amount of time you spend with them. The two of you can make a plan and discuss resuming services later if needed.