Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

catatonix
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jan 2012, 2:18 pm

Ok well I'm certain I'm an aspie now, though I seem to be able to keep an eccentric personality going quite easily (though I know it's not really me).

The issue is my (seperated) parents are always angry at me for not going out with friends, the few friends I have are 'losers' like me and spending too long on my computer (programming). I often get frustrated with this and we fight often.

Is it worth getting diagnosed, I would like to have the extra assurance I'm not a super-hypochondriac but I don't really have any other ways to do it (than through my family).

I live in the UK by the way so it would be free.

I was wondering if you guys could tell me any benefits you have received since getting diagnosed or negatives, or weather people without diagnosis feel they need one?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 2:38 pm

Unless you enjoy being mislead by well-meaning poseurs and your own subjective perceptions, I suggest that you seek an examination by an appropriately-trained and licensed mental-health professional.

catatonix

05 Jan 2012, 2:48 pm

Is there a way I can do that subtly? Without involving my family? I can't imagine anything worse than telling me family and it turns out im wrong. I'm really sure I am, but the idea of being told I'm not in front of them seems like hell to me.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 3:11 pm

You don't have to tell your parents you think you have AS, you can simply tell them that you feel you have some issues and that you would like to see a psychologist, this way whatever the diagnostic may be you won't "turn out to be wrong" in front of anyone. If you don't want to tell your parents anything then maybe you could ask the nurse at your school if she/he can refer you to a psychologist (or psychiatrist), however at your age I strongly suggest you at least tell your parents that you think you may have some issues and not leave them totally ignorant of what is happening to you.

Either way it is your decision tho.

And p.s. I would hardly call a programmer a loser, more like a smart guy :)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 3:30 pm

Fnord wrote:
Unless you enjoy being mislead by well-meaning poseurs and your own subjective perceptions, I suggest that you seek an examination by an appropriately-trained and licensed mental-health professional.

Now self diagnosed people are poseurs? :roll:

Australien
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2012, 3:49 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:

My interpretation of "well-meaning poseurs" was "people attempting to diagnose you over the Internet"

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 3:49 pm

In my opinion, you should get a professional evaluation, if you can. Self-diagnosis and professional diagnosis are not doing the same thing, eggsacly. Your self-diagnosis is your perception of yourself from the inside-out. Based on your internal experiences (more) and your external behaviors (less), you can identify yourself as an autistic person. A professional diagnosis is another person's or other people's perceptions of you from the outside-in. Based on your external behaviors (more) and your internal experiences (less), another person or other people can identify you as an autistic person. In my opinion, a diagnosis is reasonably accurate when the inside-out and outside-in perceptions and the internal experiences and external behaviors match up to fit the profile of autism.

However, it may be difficult for you to find a professional who knows enough about autism to evaluate you, and that is one of the reasons that many people do not have a diagnosis.

goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 4:32 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
In my opinion, you should get a professional evaluation, if you can. Self-diagnosis and professional diagnosis are not doing the same thing, eggsacly. Your self-diagnosis is your perception of yourself from the inside-out. Based on your internal experiences (more) and your external behaviors (less), you can identify yourself as an autistic person. A professional diagnosis is another person's or other people's perceptions of you from the outside-in. Based on your external behaviors (more) and your internal experiences (less), another person or other people can identify you as an autistic person. In my opinion, a diagnosis is reasonably accurate when the inside-out and outside-in perceptions and the internal experiences and external behaviors match up to fit the profile of autism.

However, it may be difficult for you to find a professional who knows enough about autism to evaluate you, and that is one of the reasons that many people do not have a diagnosis.

That's something I didn't even think of - the internal vs. external person in diagnosis. Smart! :idea:
I think that's really important because I feel/think very differently than I act outwardly.

Also, I hope people realize that Asperger's wasn't well known or broadly diagnosed before the 1980's, at least according to things I've been reading....so even though I was weird in school, I wouldn't have been suspected or diagnosed with Asperger's back then.
I am part of that "lost generation".

Australien
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2012, 5:26 pm

goodwitchy wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

That's something I didn't even think of - the internal vs. external person in diagnosis. Smart! :idea:
I think that's really important because I feel/think very differently than I act outwardly.

Also, I hope people realize that Asperger's wasn't well known or broadly diagnosed before the 1980's, at least according to things I've been reading....so even though I was weird in school, I wouldn't have been suspected or diagnosed with Asperger's back then.
I am part of that "lost generation".

Mid-1990s. It was added to the DSM in 1994, there was some awareness before, some lack of awareness afterward. It wasn't commonly known about where I live until the mid-to-late 1990s (a tad late for me, in terms of ideal age for diagnosis).

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 5:29 pm

Australien wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:

My interpretation of "well-meaning poseurs" was "people attempting to diagnose you over the Internet"

:oops:

catatonix

05 Jan 2012, 5:32 pm

so the overwhelming conclusion is to try and get diagnosed?

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 5:34 pm

Diagnosis was a positive experience for me. Once I knew what I was dealing with I was able to find new strategies to cope.

happydorkgirl

05 Jan 2012, 5:38 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
Diagnosis was a positive experience for me. Once I knew what I was dealing with I was able to find new strategies to cope.

This. It truly was a missing piece to my puzzle.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 5:39 pm

If you feel like there is anything the system can do for you get an official diagnoses, if not I see no reason to bother with it.

catatonix

05 Jan 2012, 5:42 pm

On the one hand I'm relieved to have a logical explanation for why I am the way I am, other than me just being incompetent.

But there is still a part of me that wants to be normal and doesn't want to accept I have asperger's. It came as a bit of a shock to me, going from just thinking I was a weirdo, but with enough work could fit in to having aspergers, which until recently, I wouldn't be able to seperate from Autism.

What type of strategies do they suggest?

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 6:20 pm

if you think you have AS then i would just accept it and try to work with it. honestly what a diagnosis does for you is that it is a legal document that says you have the right to get treatment. it really depends if you need treatment a doctor can provide or not. lots of people have an emotional thing about diagnosis, but its really just a piece of paper.