Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 12:40 am

She recently read an article that said if you have asperger's you can get super addicted to videogames. So I am not aloud to play videogames while I am at my house (i leave for college on sunday). She is worried that I am addicted when im not. I wanted to go over to my friends house 2moro since I am leaving for school soon and I dunno if I should even bother asking if I can go since she knows mostly what we do is play videogames

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 12:45 am

Did you try asking her to wait while you pressed Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, A, then B?

:wink:

Seriously, once you're out of the house, she has no control over you, especially if you are aged 17 or over.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 12:50 am

I agreed to not bring my xbox with me because that was a big reason I did awful my first semester. (told my roommate not to get his new ps3 out until my mom leaves or she will freak).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 12:53 am

Then maybe she has a point.

CocoNuts
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jan 2012, 12:55 am

NTs can get super-addicted to videogames too... She should trust you as a person and if you've never made her think before that you would get addicted a newspaper article is not going to change you 8O
Ok it's not really an advice but I felt like sharing my *undefined sentiment*

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 1:49 am

My spoiled and completely NT nephew is 19 years old. He quit school in his senior year because he wanted to. He stays home all day long, never leaving his room, and plays video games. All day.

He used to live a mile from the beach, now he lives in a beautiful lake house with a dock, boat, fishing, all that. He doesn't go out at all unless he has to. He calls his Dad to bring him food and drinks.

They now live with my mother in law. I've been there for over a week before this summer and all he did the entire time was wake up about noon, lay in bed and talk on the phone long distance, then sit in his bed and play games until about 6pm, go shower, get back on the bed and play more games until about 4am, then lay down and sleep. With the tv still on.

That is addicted. He's completely NT.

It can happen to anybody.

I'm AS and don't care at all for video games. Although I am 47 and did get into the arcade games back in the day, but no more than anyone else did, and it was more of a social thing then too.

Also, under your avatar I believe it says you are 19. Why would you have to ask her if you can go to a friends house, especially since you are about to leave for college? My 16yo usually just informs me of where he's going and only if there is a reason he shouldn't go do I tell him no. He doesn't usually ask. My 18yo daughter certainly doesn't have to ask if she can go somewhere. Of course she would respect my wishes if I asked her not to go, but I wouldn't do that unless there was a good reason. At 19 you can legally do whatever you please in terms of coming and going.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 3:27 am

I've dated two different guys who were waaaaaay too addicted to video games (as in, to the point of getting fired from work or dropping out of school). I don't know if people on the spectrum are especially susceptible to addiction or not, but I dare say that first year college students are most definitely in the high risk category. Even if your mom is worried for all the wrong reasons, if I were you, I'd do you both a favor and try to hang up the controller a little more often. What's the harm? Heck, you might even find something more fun to do.

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 4:15 am

I think being "addicted" to video games is a lot of bull, personally. Maybe even as much as the ridiculous notion that they can force people to do anything violent. You never see anybody claiming that television is addicting or that it causes killing sprees. It's just as valid a form of entertainment. I think it's more so that some select people give other fans a bad reputation.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 4:39 am

At times some people would probably think I'm addicted to video games. There have been times where I played Runescape 12+ hours a day.

My not going out and doing things (like work or school) is not caused by my playing video games though. It's because I'm home a lot and want something enjoyable to do. If I want to avoid something (like how I hated school so much) I'd even rather sit home doing nothing staring at a blank wall than go out and do it. I don't leave the house a lot.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 5:20 am

I think an addiction be where someone is unable to stop what they are doing to do something else like going to bed, eating, going to work, dork, house work, going to school, doing homework. So they never ever get off except for to eat eventually or to use the bathroom and then sleep. But they don't want to do anything else because they prefer to be with their video games. if they can't have that, they get very angry and can't cope without it.

But someone who spends all their time playing video games but they still do other things they need to do, not an addiction because they have control. They won't go crazy if they can't play their games nor would they feel anxious to play them and they won't want to get done with something fast so they play them now. They won't be too anxious to get it done just so they can play their games. If you do feel anxious because your are not playing your video games because you are unable to, chances are you have a mild addiction to them. But then aspies feel that way without their obsessions so does that mean they are addicted to their obsessions? What about routines, are aspies addicted to their routines because they might feel anxious when it changes on short notice? It gets so confusing when you try and work out the difference.

While anyone can get addicted, I think aspies are more prone to it because of their obsessions and rituals. But I don't think there is a difference between aspies and NTs getting addicted. They both share the same characteristics and they will both have a meltdown if their addiction is taken away and they will do anything to get it back. It can even be ugly. That is what an addiction does.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 12:17 am

Boxman108 wrote:
I think being "addicted" to video games is a lot of bull, personally. Maybe even as much as the ridiculous notion that they can force people to do anything violent. You never see anybody claiming that television is addicting or that it causes killing sprees.

...yeah, there are just as many people who claim that TV is addictive I'm pretty sure. Not that I'm one of them. I'm just saying... give kids the choice between TV and school work and they'll take TV any day of the week. I think video games are the same. I don't think there is any harm in playing them unless they stop you from doing important things in your life.