Tiredness worsening symptoms exponentially?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sagroth
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 2:43 am

Does anyone else exhibit worsening Aspie symptoms when tired? For me, it's not just the Aspie side. My anxiety issues skyrocket on less than optimal sleep also. It doesn't help that the anxiety also tires me out greatly, which lowers my threshold even more, which can lead to a downward spiral.

mglosenger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jan 2012, 2:46 am

Yes. I'm less capable in general if I don't get enough sleep. I guess my consciousness needs that magical dreamland

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 5:52 am

Yeah, I've noticed that fatigue makes me less likely to be able to have positive social interactions. I also notice that I am less tolerant of many types of sensory stimuli and find repetition even more soothing than usual.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jan 2012, 6:56 am

Yes, I realized the other day when I had a panic attack followed by a meltdown that my lack of sleep was definitely making the situation worse.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

07 Jan 2012, 6:58 am

Fatigue makes everything worse, yes.

Stevo1965
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jan 2012, 11:36 pm

Yes, definitely. Then it will become a downward spiral: sleep deficit leads to lower functioning, leads to work issues and domestic strife, quality and quantity of sleep further reduced, etc.

I worry sometimes it may do me in.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 7:39 am

Ever since I took Risperidone, I have symptoms of depression when tired. It makes me put up my AS defence mechanisms.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 8:23 am

Tiredness makes my attention and sensory issues worse

identity
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 9:18 am

I'm not diagnosed but yes all of my symptoms get worse when I'm tired.

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 9:56 am

Yes. It's because you are too drained to put up your shield.

EBartleby
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jan 2012, 10:38 am

Seems to me like we share this behavior, but it's not that surprising.

Tiredness definitely doesn't help me appear interested in other humans :P I try to treat everyone good, but fatigue makes it hard. Sometimes an undeserved harsh word will leave my lips because my mind wasn't sharp enough to catch it and repress it. To appear normal you need all the energy you can get, since it's our equivalent of athletic performance. Keeping the mind in check is an energy devourer.

But anyway, tiredness makes EVERYTHING worse. Same with being malnourished or lacking sunlight. Those definitely make the jerk side of AS come out.

RobotGreenAlien2
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jan 2012, 6:29 pm

Yes deffinatly. When my energy levels are good I can deal with anything, If not I a non social recluse with ADHD.

Managine my energy is the biggest thing I do to stay functional. I try to sleep right, by my sleep pattern gets chaotic very easily. I try to eat right and carry granola bars, avoid coffee unless I realy need it (from a tea drinking country anyway), hydrate and exersise (most of the time just walking 5 miles a day).
If I do these things I can handle almost anything.

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 7:15 pm

I've always been weird when I haven't slept well, but it's even worse now.

If I get less than 6 hours I really feel like I might be losing my mind, this wasn't really so in the past.

I think I've come close to hallucinating while running on low sleep, and in general, not getting enough sleep does exacerbate my autistic traits.

But this happens with everyone, very social NTs could resemble Aspies when sleep deprived.

GeorgeMac
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jan 2012, 8:05 pm

Everything gets to be a jumble inside my head. Easy things become confusing and impossible. Each step in a task becomes a huge ordeal of its own and I get kind of paralyzed.

And yes, having simple conversations without snapping at people or losing the thread of what they're saying gets difficult. Putting thoughts together so that others recognize them as related parts of a whole... also difficult.

One neat little catch-22... when I'm really tired, my sensory sensitivity gets really high making it hard to fall asleep.

Every so often I'm not at all tired, and I am totally awesome. I wish I could be like that all the time. Hell, I'd settle for half the time.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 8:00 am

When I'm tired my tolerance for frustration goes way down. I also can't think well to solve problems.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 9:30 am

I was talking about tiredness at night earlier, let's not forget tiredness in the morning. It takes me at least 2-3 hours to get myself out of bed.