Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

gyaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jan 2012, 12:01 pm

When I write a report , i always feel that I have to state everything very clearly, but people who read my report often tell me that some thing do not have to be written out as it is understood.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 12:18 pm

I do the same thing and write it out but I do it more when talking and explaining something to another person

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 12:19 pm

My writing is fine. My handwriting is a whole other issue.

RW665
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 12:29 pm

Asp-Z wrote:

Same here. My handwriting is so awful, it's embarrassing.

Morbid Malign's askblog: http://askmorbidmalign.tumblr.com/

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 12:33 pm

Asp-Z wrote:

My handwriting is also very bad.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

12 Jan 2012, 12:36 pm

Everything I write by hand is illegible, even to me.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 12:36 pm

Bad handwriting is caused by dyspraxia damaging your fine motor skills, BTW. Dyspraxia is very common with Asperger's.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2012, 1:11 pm

gyaspie wrote:
When I write a report , i always feel that I have to state everything very clearly, but people who read my report often tell me that some thing do not have to be written out as it is understood.

My handwriting is not only awful, but at 49 I am barely able to do it anymore. But I don't think this is the question being asked.

To answer the question directly, it has been my experience from WP that the writing skills of the average aspie are far, far superior to the average normal person. But it's more complicated than this.

The first rule of good writing is to understand one's audience, and this is where many aspies are weak. It is hard for us really to understand anybody, including those we write to.

As far as persuasive writing goes, which most writing is in one way or another, normal people rarely are persuaded by good logic; there has to be some kind of deeper connection that mystifies me.

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 2:11 pm

Isn't bad handwriting supposed to be a sign of genius? If so, then i r 1 :D Although my posts may not show it, I am considered to be a very good writer, or so I am told by my editors (I write professionally). And my handwriting is really bad. My grandfather had beautiful penmanship. His letters were always a work of art. Now however, they don't even teach script in schools anymore. I wonder how the kids will sign their names?

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

Rhiannon0828
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jan 2012, 3:33 pm

AspieWolf wrote:
they don't even teach script in schools anymore. I wonder how the kids will sign their names?

I have wondered the same thing!
I have been told by my instructors at school that my writing skills are very good; but my handwriting is embarrassing, it's so bad.

Az29
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jan 2012, 3:41 pm

I've been told my handwriting looks like a child's, probably because I don't join my letters up, I always have problems reading writing that is joined up too. My daughter is the same, she hates having to join her letters up and at first found it frustrating that the letter a looks like this in lowercase "a" this in uppercase "A" but she was being taught to write it with extra 'bits'. She couldn't understand the logic when books, computers etc all had non joined up writing and I couldn't give her a good reason as to why they taught them to write that way.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 3:44 pm

I express myself much better in writing than I do in speech, but I still often get frustrated with my poorly I feel I'm translating my thoughts into words.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 3:51 pm

My hand writing used to be rubbish however it has improved quite a lot.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 4:29 pm

My writing is excellent. My handwriting, on the other hand...

Really though, I have a problem with saying too much with text forms of communication. I have a very hard time keeping my texts just one text message in length.

Azolet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2012, 9:36 pm

I've been told I write well (ex. my first grade teacher told my mom that I wrote at a fourth-grade level). My handwriting, while not perfectly neat, is still legible. I definitely need lines on the paper, because otherwise, my writing goes up at a diagonal (my 2nd grade teacher said that my writing looked "like it was taking off at O'Hare Airport" - not much has changed). I've been told that my handwriting is "cool" and "interesting". I was in an English class with one of my Aspie friends in high school (she has very illegible handwriting) and we'd often have to do presentations where we had to write something on the board; she would always ask me to write on the board for her.

mark99
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jan 2012, 9:42 pm

I've had horrible handwriting all my life. It's improved over the years, but it's still pretty bad. When people complain about my handwriting I tell them "it used to be worse". That shuts them up.

I have been told that I write well, though.