Page 1 of 8 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

krex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2007, 1:42 pm

A few weeks ago (please see article on "AS And The Relativity Of Time," which will be written when I find the time. ), an idea struck me. I believe it was the "end result" of a year of research and obsession about AS and the AS community. The idea is to create a magazine by and about people on the spectrum. My online research has uncovered one well-kept secret: Aspies want to speak, not be spoken for.

We do have some books written from the perspective of a handful of autistics that are then generalized to be appropriate to understand ALL AS. We have many bloggers and a few online communities where AS people can share their experiences and offer support. But the only magazines I could find about AS were written FOR "professionals, parents, teachers, care workers" and are "curbbie-dominated" and NT-biased. Now, the most logical reason for this lack of a magizine of our own,is that nobody wants or needs one. Well, I do. I have learned to embrace the computer, but I do think that one form of communication does not have to negate the importance of another form. I think there is room for both. Perhaps it is because I wasn't weaned on code, but I still enjoy the tactile sensation of holding written words in my hands and looking at pictures and writing that isn't glowing. As a writer and "artist," I think my creation becomes more "real" if it is tangible and not lost in the millions of bits of info stored online.

Mission statement/goal:

A magazine designed by, written for and about people on the autism spectrum, but not necessarily about AS.

There would be some articles about traits of AS and co-morbid disorders, but this would only be a part of the magizine, as it is only a "part" of who we are as people with atypical neurology. The majority of the magazine would feature arts, crafts, writing, analytical thought, obsessions, and interests of people on the spectrum. I'm thinking...lots of pictures, comics, humour ramblings, short bios, serial stories, highlights of craft projects, feature "obsession" of the month, reviews of scientific articles, movies, books, music and "computer/science/maths/geek of the week." Think of it as "Highlights for Aspies."

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Last edited by krex on 02 Oct 2007, 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2007, 1:44 pm

End goal:

I learned something about AS from WP that I didn't realize from just reading about AS in "expert" books and articles about AS. Something I would like to see represented in this magazine. We can be fun and funny. We have a need to create and a desire to be heard and share who we are with others. Sometimes we retreat into our bubbles because we like it in there, sometimes it is because we are overloaded by a "loud" world, sometimes it is because we are exiled there by the rejection and misunderstandings of a world that is "wired" differently. For those who wish to be heard, we will offer a place in the spotlight. I think it's long over due.

How to begin:

We need a web page to offer guildlines on submissions (NT,AS,Self Diagnosed, mutants) and an email account to receive them.

We need volunteers to work in their areas of special interest (Is there such a thing as an accountant/business and marketing Aspie?) All we can offer,right now is something to put on their resume, show their skills, get real world experience. In the begining, everything from the creation to the submissions, would be "volunteer." A handful of people who have already agreed to publishing, editing, and reviewing submissions may or may not receive a salary. If the magazine grows we will be able to offer paying jobs and those who volunteered and showed ability will be the first hired. We will accept assistance from NTs (who have executive skills)...so parents/friends of Aspies, feel free to volunteer your expertise.

The process will be "labor intensive" and most of us have to work "real jobs," making it difficult to balance both a full time job and fulltime magazine production. The price of subscription will barely cover the cost of printing, assuming there is enough interest for people to subscribe. If there is not enough interest in the community, the idea will be aborted.

I have many ideas concerning what kind of content the magazine could have but I need a lot of input from potential subscribers on what they would like to see in the magazine. I would also like to include a detachable mail-in feedback card with each issue where readers can submit their opinions about featured writers/artist who they would like to featured more often. I hope the AS community will find this a valuable resource, both as readers and contributors. It will only be as good as we make it. Let's make it something that will prove we have humor, creativity, analytical ability not in spite of AS, but because of it.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2007, 2:23 pm

it sounds like a great idea,this is something am would get if it was relateable to.

is it definitely going to be 'aspergers magazine' or will it represent the kanners and atypical autism side to?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

11 Sep 2007, 2:26 pm

what a great idea! i'd like to see sucsess storys of people living independently, driving cars, and being overall sly.

also maybe a few obsessive topics could be highlighted every month, and discussed/

goodluck!

krex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2007, 2:43 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
it sounds like a great idea,this is something am would get if it was relateable to.

is it definitely going to be 'aspergers magazine' or will it represent the kanners and atypical autism side to?

I dont think the lines that define the spectrum are as well defined as the "experts" would like them to be.We have people here who used to be classified as "classic autism" who are verbal now and technology has blurred some of the seperations(as well as getting them out of some of the very toxic "institutions".)I believe some autistics dont communicate,not because they are unable but because they know,no one is listening(or safe).Baliisticexistence is one person I would like to contact to submit.

We are "spectrum" and I would like all voices to be represented....even if the submissions are pictures/art and not traditional language.

As I mentioned.The magazine would not be "just about" autiam but about who we are beyond our DX.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2007, 2:45 pm

richardbenson wrote:
what a great idea! i'd like to see sucsess storys of people living independently, driving cars, and being overall sly.

also maybe a few obsessive topics could be highlighted every month, and discussed/

goodluck!

Thanks.....I am hoping you will submit some pictures of your card collection and rocks and jewlry....You have some "sweet stuff"
nice if you could share it with others....lots of card and rock collectors here. :wink:

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

11 Sep 2007, 2:58 pm

no problem! whens this magazine gonna be up and running? and where do i submit my content?

emergingartist54
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Sep 2007, 2:59 pm

I think this is a beautiful idea, whether in actual print or online or both. Print being so expensive and labor intensive it might start online. Also, there is a lot of great writing here at the Planet already. Editors might start by asking people for permission to republish some of their submissions here or to address topics they have already addressed in postings. Then you could pose new questions and come up with a range of answers.

Krex I think you have a very solid idea of what and who needs to be included.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

11 Sep 2007, 3:00 pm

an online magazine would be a great idea, and would probably be alot easier to do :)

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Sep 2007, 4:17 pm

Outstanding idea Krex, and as I said before, I herby volunteer my services in whatever way I can that will benefit this happening for real.
Maybe "we" could have a "Travel Section" where people who live all over could tell what they think others will find intresting if they ever leave the house and come visit. If I went to Australia, where would I want to go. ( I bet someone who LIVES there would have a good idea.)
And I agree with richardbenson that online would be easier, but I'd LOVE to have a "paper copy "to leave in all the therapist, and Dr's waiting rooms and other places so that the rest of the world can also share in what we have to offer. And maybe they could learn something at the same time, and not just about the spectrum, hopefully about themselves too!
(OMG I DO still have faith in humanity ! ! :D )

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2007, 4:29 pm

I've not done much investigation, but "Print on Demand," is starting to get big in the publication industry. I'd wait and see how much interest there is, but online, pdfs to be printed at home, and possibly Print on Demand might be worth investigating. POD in particular can be useful, because you can get reasonable prices and literally specify the number of copies you need to send out, although there may well still be a lower limit, and I've only ever seen it used for books (it's growing in the roleplaying field, for one thing).

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2007, 4:50 pm

krex wrote:
KingdomOfRats wrote:

I dont think the lines that define the spectrum are as well defined as the "experts" would like them to be.We have people here who used to be classified as "classic autism" who are verbal now and technology has blurred some of the seperations(as well as getting them out of some of the very toxic "institutions".)I believe some autistics dont communicate,not because they are unable but because they know,no one is listening(or safe).Baliisticexistence is one person I would like to contact to submit.

We are "spectrum" and I would like all voices to be represented....even if the submissions are pictures/art and not traditional language.

As I mentioned.The magazine would not be "just about" autiam but about who we are beyond our DX.

sorry krex,didn't understand right,thought it was only for people with aspergers' due to the title.

am would like to also help, in any way possible,what help is needed?

Quote:
but I'd LOVE to have a "paper copy "to leave in all the therapist, and Dr's waiting rooms and other places so that the rest of the world can also share in what we have to offer. And maybe they could learn something at the same time, and not just about the spectrum, hopefully about themselves too!

this is what am would like to,it could get out to more people than just online,often it's only people who are looking for ASD related things
that gets them to sites like this,it would definitely be great to have in doctors waiting rooms-the starting place for most people who want to find out whether they are asd or not,other good places would be asd clubs and day centres,schools,colleges and universities?

monty
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2007, 4:52 pm

The idea for a magazine is a very good one.

One little thing puzzles me:

krex wrote:
A few weeks ago (please see article on "AS And The Relativity Of Time," which will be written when I find the time. ), an idea struck me.

Is there a typo there, or some humor? Or are you asking us to read something you haven't written yet (because time is relative)?

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

11 Sep 2007, 5:28 pm

krex wrote:
A few weeks ago (please see article on "AS And The Relativity Of Time," which will be written when I find the time. ), an idea struck me. I believe it was the "end result" of a year of research and obsession about AS and the AS community. The idea is to create a magazine by and about people on the spectrum. My online research has uncovered one well-kept secret: Aspies want to speak, not be spoken for.

We do have some books written from the perspective of a handful of autistics that are then generalized to be appropriate to understand ALL AS. We have many bloggers and a few online communities where AS people can share their experiences and offer support. But the only magazines I could find about AS were written FOR "professionals, parents, teachers, care workers" and are "curbbie-dominated" and NT-biased. Now, the most logical reason for this lack of a magizine of our own,is that nobody wants or needs one. Well, I do. I have learned to embrace the computer, but I do think that one form of communication does not have to negate the importance of another form. I think there is room for both. Perhaps it is because I wasn't weaned on code, but I still enjoy the tactile sensation of holding written words in my hands and looking at pictures and writing that isn't glowing. As a writer and "artist," I think my creation becomes more "real" if it is tangible and not lost in the millions of bits of info stored online.

Mission statement/goal:

A magazine designed by, written for and about people on the autism spectrum, but not necessarily about AS.

There would be some articles about traits of AS and co-morbid disorders, but this would only be a part of the magizine, as it is only a "part" of who we are as people with atypical neurology. The majority of the magazine would feature arts, crafts, writing, analytical thought, obsessions, and interests of people on the spectrum. I'm thinking...lots of pictures, comics, humour ramblings, short bios, serial stories, highlights of craft projects, feature "obsession" of the month, reviews of scientific articles, movies, books, music and "computer/science/maths/geek of the week." Think of it as "Highlights for Aspies."

This sounds great...I would be happy to write about my interest as a topic for the magazine haha :D

krex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2007, 5:43 pm

monty wrote:
The idea for a magazine is a very good one.

One little thing puzzles me:
krex wrote:
A few weeks ago (please see article on "AS And The Relativity Of Time," which will be written when I find the time. ), an idea struck me.

Is there a typo there, or some humor? Or are you asking us to read something you haven't written yet (because time is relative)?

:D :D Thanks for noticing monty...that's my attempt at "humor with a dash of truth".

I have no "internal clock",or one that is broken,so a few weeks could be a few days or a few months for me....so,you have now read my essay on "AS And The Relativity Of Time" :wink: (There is also an implied connection to Einstein,often adopted by us as Aspie.)

I have thought about an on-line subscription based magazine,especially until we can figure out the details of how to mail the mags out of country....I do not want to exclude Europian,Asian,Australian members.I thought we could do a "distribution" by mailing bulk cpies to memebers in these countries and having them mail them out by country,but these does sound complicated and expensive.I will have to talk to the publisher about this and get back to you.I do know,we are making a real "magazine".I think it is important to have something in our hands to hold,share with family,work,friends,Drs,schools,prisons,treatment centers,psychwards.

My reasoning on this is that I believe there are many older aspies who have no idea that they are aspie(I'm 43 and didnt know until a year ago), and have gotten lost in the system.I would hope that we can inlighten them and help them get help.Even knowing they are not "crazy" would help.We have aseen many examples of parents here,who had no idea that they had AS until their kids were DXed....what about those of us who never breed.They might never have exposure to any more info about AS then the crap that passes as information during "Autism Awareness" month....a bunch of stressed out screaming kids arent exactly going to give them any insights into why they cant keep jobs or friends.

So,thanks for the input...keep it coming.This is a fluid process,right now."We" are shaping it as we go.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2007, 5:50 pm

I think it is a great idea.
Let me know if you need anyone to write for it as I love writing and always had an interest in such things.