Symptoms amplified by late-acquired neurological differences

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Hermier
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2012, 10:42 am

So I have never been diagnosed with any ASD, and was not diagnosed with ADHD (non attentive) until I was in my 40s.

Although I'm not looking to be diagnosed at this time, it seems to me I am definitely on the spectrum somewhere.

It's something I probably wouldn't have fully realized if not for the internet. I just had no clue about the constant connections people are making with each other all the time, and since I didn't know about it, I had no idea that I wasn't part of it. Or that something was going on beyond what I saw.

Anyway I had a couple of things happen in the past 6-7 years that were neurologically transformational ~ Lyme disease and a brain injury ~ "fibromyalgia" ~ and a few other diagnoses of "syndromes".... caused by whatever.....

Either my symptoms are much more pronounced now, or my self awareness has increased such that I notice them more. I guess it's a combination of both.

Currently I'm kind of taking a break from being around people (except my kids).... while I re-evaluate this, I guess.

By symptoms, I am referring to things like sensory issues (with clothes, light, smells etc.) and aversion to interacting with people; executive function difficulties; that sort of thing. I could not possibly become more inept regarding social relations, I don't think.... I only ever had a group of friends because I had one friend in the group (my only friend, usually) ~ or my boyfriend or one of my brothers.

And I failed pretty miserably in the work place, although the job before last, I held my own better.... I think I am probably better off not trying to work with a group of women again, just occurred to me, when I thought of the jobs where it went less badly. "Not to Digress!"

:p

But anyway, does anyone else have a similar experience?

I was so busy trying to maintain a "normal" life before, that I never had time to think about what might be causing my issues with that, or whether or not there might be others like me out there.... The change in my own level of neurodiversity is taking a little time to get accustomed to, to say the least.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 11:52 am

Yes, your signs of autism are more pronounced, as your neuro issues impair various coping stratagies we learn and use.

I had some neuro issues a decade ago--fortunately, in my case, I have been able to work through them, so they are no longer an issue.

Cassia
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jan 2012, 3:49 pm

You might find this article useful. It's often suggested to people who have noticed that they seem to be showing more autistic traits:

"Help! I Seem to be Getting More Autistic!"

Now convinced that I'm a bit autistic, but still unsure if I'd qualify for a diagnosis, since it causes me few problems. Apparently people who are familiar with the autism spectrum can readily spot that I'm a bit autistic, though.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 3:58 pm

Hermier wrote:
It's something I probably wouldn't have fully realized if not for the internet. I just had no clue about the constant connections people are making with each other all the time, and since I didn't know about it, I had no idea that I wasn't part of it. Or that something was going on beyond what I saw.

I can relate, except I think I always knew there was something going on I wasn't part of, I just never really understood how it worked or why I wasn't part of it.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 4:05 pm

(I've always functioned at the age of about 12. I could handle up to grade 7; after that, I plummeted. This was when I was at my best too. That's the preface.)

Since a nervous breakdown several years ago (the "serious" kind where functioning just vanishes and hospital is needed), I've been worst in regards to sensory sensitivities and going out and being around people. The increase in anxiety from said breakdown has really affected my ASD. I used to be ok with going to the shops and whatnot, but now, it's very uncomfortable and rarely worth the pain involved; I seem to desire a stricter routine too. It hasn't really affected my singular interest that precludes doing most other things though (that's always been there).

Funnily, said breakdown led to the realization and diagnosis of the ASD. I guess I was getting by before then (no friends and I didn't work though).

Any illness is going to affect it for various reasons, coping and a change of routine being some big ones.