Page 4 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

MrMagpie
Raven
Raven

26 Jan 2012, 12:53 am

goodwitchy wrote:
I have such a horrible temper sometimes....but it's fleeting. And I don't hold grudges. I would estimate my emotional maturity is like a child of 8 or 10 years old. I've only recently come to this assessment. I've needed therapy for too long :roll:

I have also only recently come to realize that my issue with forming intimate relationships - which I have never done - stems not from gender identification but emotional immaturity (and in typical Aspie fashion I had to have this pointed out to me bluntly before I recognized it). The only way I have of relating to the concept of romance is through the eyes of a child towards an authority figure.

When I think of love I think of the awe and respect one has for knowledgeable and experienced individuals, coupled with physical attraction. I am also easily angered, but my temper is extremely short-lived and I do not hold grudges. I suppose that makes me around ten years old?
☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆

Last edited by MrMagpie on 26 Jan 2012, 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2012, 1:21 am

artrat wrote:
MjrMajorMajor wrote:
Wow, that chart is so spot on it's scary.

I must be a strange female aspie since that chart pisses me off because it creates female aspie stereotypes.
It suggests that females are more male and then gives female aspie characteristics. Unless myself and all other aspie females are interviewed then that chart is useless.

I think it's possible that this may be a case of over-literal interpretation. Perhaps if you interpreted the chart as saying that AS females "act more stereotypically masculine" rather than "are more male", etc, it would seem less off-putting? It's a very short chart, and people tend to state things rather succinctly in those contexts. Also AS/autism seems, from what I've seen, to generally be skewed according to gender since the idea that there might be more females affected by it than previously thought is pretty new. The reference material hasn't caught up yet!

Just an idea.

goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 3:17 am

unduki wrote:
I play a sort of game with my eyes. By accident, I found some muscles that when I flex them, my eyes sharpen. It actually feels like my pupils come to points. I know the change shows because people react but I can't see it when I look into a mirror. 2 close friends have also commented on it as being something felt more than seen.

8) I wish I knew how to do that.

Autism Spectrum quotient: 41, Empathy Quotient: 19

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 4:52 am

EXPECIALLY wrote:
If you )or anyone) puts any stock into the Extreme Male Brain theory, you might also look into 2d 4D ratio.

The majority of (diagnosed) autistics, even women have the male ratio.

But I've been wondering for awhile if there may not be a subset of autism that is the Extreme Female Brain (what Sasha Baron Cohen says schizophrenia is).

Hanging out here for a few years and especially being on the Women's forum gives me the impression that a lot of women might have the SAME core wiring, but with an extremely feminine manifestation.

I myself, have the male ratio they talk about, but I don't feel or act "extremely" male, or even extremely autistic (I'm a woman).

I think I started out with an ASD female or androgynous brain that was masculinized in the womb and that ends result was that I am more similar to men, but not as severe as most people on the spectrum because I started out with some protection.

Men start out with no protection, and then become more masculinized, so they are often more severe and girls will sometimes present in the exact same way, you just see it less.

I really do think the effects of the extremely female brain (outside of schizophrenia) should be studied more.

IMO autism is one thing in ad of itself, and maybe doesn't present at all or very mildly in some folks, maybe they're brains were sexually dimporhous in utero, but that the hormones play a very strong role in how severe the autism will be and how it presents itself.

This isn't to say the Aspie women with the female brains are less severe, but what they have seems less like what wer'e calling autism in a lot of ways.

There was a thread in the women's section a while back about women on the spectrum being (anecdotally- I don't remember if any research prompted the discussion) far more likely to have hormonal disorders, particularly elevated testosterone, PCOS, etc, and it was quite extensive, with several spectrumite males chiming in about their sisters and/or mothers having it. I, myself, have sky-high testosterone.

Ties in nicely with the "extreme male brain" theory, and Autism being the result of exposure to excessive levels of testosterone in the womb. But then, if I "got" it from anyone, it would be my dad, whom I take after very strongly.

Who knows?

to his Interest."

goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 8:46 am

MrMagpie wrote:
I have also only recently come to realize that my issue with forming intimate relationships - which I have never done - stems not from gender identification but emotional immaturity (and in typical Aspie fashion I had to have this pointed out to me bluntly before I recognized it). The only way I have of relating to the concept of romance is through the eyes of a child towards an authority figure.

When I think of love I think of the awe and respect one has for knowledgeable and experienced individuals, coupled with physical attraction. I am also easily angered, but my temper is extremely short-lived and I do not hold grudges. I suppose that makes me around ten years old?
☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆

Yes, this very much resonates with me too.

Autism Spectrum quotient: 41, Empathy Quotient: 19

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 9:49 am

Most of those "female aspie traits" apply to men and autistic men too. Or since when exactly do all (autistic) men dress up in uncomfortable clothes? Maybe I'm missing some unsaid/implicit context that applies to the idea of the chart.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

26 Jan 2012, 9:55 am

I don't think the chart is meant to list traits exclusive to autistic women as contrasted to autistic men, but simply to list traits autistic women have, many of which will almost certainly overlap with autistic men.

Most of that chart applies to me.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 1:07 pm

Sora wrote:
Most of those "female aspie traits" apply to men and autistic men too. Or since when exactly do all (autistic) men dress up in uncomfortable clothes? Maybe I'm missing some unsaid/implicit context that applies to the idea of the chart.

The criteria are for differentiating female Aspies from female NTs for diagnostic purposes,
not for differentiating female Aspies from male Aspies.

Such is a possible sign of Aspergers in females because
females are disproportionately expected to wear tighter clothing, and made of more irritating, "showy" fabrics.
Those females among them who opt out often do so due to sensory issues, which are extremely prevalent on the spectrum.
It says nothing of the clothing choices of Autistic men, let alone "all" of them.

Men and women are different neurologically, and are also culturalized into extremely dichotomous roles, so any discussion of HFA or Aspergers should necessarily highlight their differences from their NT peers, on the basis of sex.

to his Interest."

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 2:12 pm

Verdandi wrote:
I don't think the chart is meant to list traits exclusive to autistic women as contrasted to autistic men, but simply to list traits autistic women have, many of which will almost certainly overlap with autistic men.

Ah, I get it, yes. Reading it like that makes sense at last. These traits aren't literally meant to be taken as female traits and traits of AS but rather as traits that can be observed in women with AS.

To tell the truth, I was thinking of "female AS traits" before (because that's the table's title), not of traits that tend to appear in females with AS but are also found in males with AS without making them any female and in non-autistic people without meaning that they are somewhat female or have AS.