Can you tell when someone's an aspie?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

aziraphale
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Mar 2010, 8:32 pm

I sort of can by their body language, personality and vocal patterns. Every real life person, with the exception of one, who has later told me they have Asperger's I have figured out that they have Asperger's before they said so. I even remember looking at Will Phillips on the news and thinking "that's an aspie" before I looked him up to find out for sure. I was right. I'm wondering how many people can see other aspies.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 9:12 pm

Where did you find that information that Will Phillips had Asperger's? When I first listened to him speak, I didn't think of him having Asperger's, though I suppose it would make sense. He is quite articulate for a 10-year-old.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOcAWn7Rp9s[/youtube]

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 9:18 pm

i can't

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 10:06 pm

Not really.

LoveMoney
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Mar 2010, 10:42 pm

I can.

When I see a guy talking monotone, with no friends and robotic movements. It touch my heart. I know its an autistic/aspie. I always help them with their homework.

SCordeliaB
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Mar 2010, 10:49 pm

im pretty sure i only get along with aspies.. so yeah

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 3:03 am

LoveMoney wrote:
I can.

When I see a guy talking monotone, with no friends and robotic movements. It touch my heart. I know its an autistic/aspie. I always help them with their homework.

that is very sweet of you, LoveMoney.

i get definite aspie impressions from some folk- one notable case was when i was in a supermarket, some kid got separated from his parents, and he walked up to me in a rapid and stiff-legged gait, and stared at me with a blank expression and in a stentorian monotone asked me, "do you know where daddy went?" [not "MY daddy"] - i had no idea where his parents were so i couldn't help him other than to say "sorry hon, i don't know." i have spoken on the phone with folk i had not met before and could tell in their voice and vocabulary that something was different and reminiscent of other aspies i have met. i am sure various folks have thought the same way about me.

ASgirl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Mar 2010, 3:57 am

i don't think i can. i have never met one. hope i will one day

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 4:15 am

Yeah . . .

In fact, I seem to only become good friends with people who are "spectrummy" to various extents. When I mention to a friend that I have AS, all too often, they say they've been wondering if they're on the spectrum too.

Also, with some people, it's just blatantly obvious. When I happen to run into someone who's really obviously ASD-ish, I kind of want to say something along the lines of, "Hello. I have Asperger's Syndrome. You seem like you're also on the austism spectrum - are you?"

But that could go wrong in so many ways . . . I mean, I wish there was a way to politely ask someone if they have AS without getting to know them pretty well first, but I have yet to find one.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 9:46 am

I can tell. More often than not, the person has an unusual voice. Their eye contact is a little off, and their body language is different. I can also tell by looking at body language in pictures. Everybody else is posing, while Mr. or Mrs. Aspie usually has their arms hanging at their sides, and their eye contact is a little off, compared to that of the others.

max_renn
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Mar 2010, 10:16 am

I can't tell, though since I found out about myself and told a few friend, they've told me of other friends of thiers, described patterns of behaviour and asked "So do you think he has what you have?" and I've had to say it sounds like yes.

Also had a date last week with someone who had very odd body lanugage and talked almost incessantly about one subject all night (so much so that a singer-songwriter friend whose show we were at told me later she noticed) and I got to wondering later if she might be a fellow aspie, but I also later found out that her ex moved back in with her a couple of days later so there may have been a lot going on emotionally that night for her and she rambled out of avoidance. Ultimately moot point, I won't be asking her.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Mar 2010, 10:26 am

What, a kid refusing to stand up is newsworthy in America? Blimey.

No, I cannot. I didn't realise one of my good friends had Asperger's until his sister told me.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 1:10 pm

Oh yeah I can spot them a mile off 8)

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 2:13 pm

I can see when someone has characteristics of Aspergers. I wouldn't go so far as to diagnose them.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 2:52 pm

I think I can. For example, my old friend from grade school who I haven't seen or talked to in over 20 years found me on facebook. I looked at her profile to see how she was doing, and I swore the profile sounded a little Aspie. So then we started talking in messages, and one of her children has been diagnosed with Aspergers, and then she talked about her anxiety in school growing up. I asked her if she ever thought she might be Aspergers and the anxiety was related to that, and she said many times. So I don't know on that one. I also swore my nephew was autistic before his diagnosis (which is why he ever went to be seen), and I didn't even know much about autism back then. And my oldest daughter, I saw the Aspergers' symptoms starting from before she was a full year old, and she was diagnosed right before she turned 3.

The main thing is like you might say, "so and so has a special interest which might be a sign of Aspergers," and people respond, "all people have special interests," but you know deep down inside that there is a difference between an Aspergers special interest and an NT's special interest, and you can't describe it in words but you know the difference. Same with meltdowns, and even our temper tantrums, social behaviors, etc.

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 4:41 pm

Descartes wrote:
Where did you find that information that Will Phillips had Asperger's? When I first listened to him speak, I didn't think of him having Asperger's, though I suppose it would make sense. He is quite articulate for a 10-year-old.

Omg, have you seen this one?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTer4bBVeOI[/youtube]

He's like a real life male version of Lisa Simpson!