Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

gyaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jan 2012, 5:48 am

When I was a child, I am always obsessed with something and always want to share my obsessed interest with other people. I will just start the topic of my obsession with anyone, even those that I met for the first time. I will get really upset if others appear uninterested in my topic. I will just continue my topic, hoping that they will get interested in it. However when I am in my teens, I realized that I should not talk about my favorite topic all the time. So I started to engage in small talk. After that, I realize I engage in small talk most of the time and don’t talk about my obsessions at all even though I still have very strong obsessions. I also started to engage in gossips and gossip about others very often. I had gone from talking in a very “Asperger’s” way to a very”NT” way. However, this did not make me more popular at all. Other people say that I engage in meaningless talk (small talk) too much. Please give me an idea of what problem I am facing. Thank you!

gyaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Feb 2012, 4:59 am

please give me some opinions :D

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 5:11 am

I would say,more practice in learning the balance in this small talk thing. Observe others who are more NT about how they do small talk. You might be able to find a therapist who can help you. It is a skill that can be improved with practice and patience. Don't be hard on yourself when you don't get it right. Just note your mistakes and move on.

kahlua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Feb 2012, 5:22 am

We need examples of a situation to be able to provide advice...

Perhaps you are continuing conversations that the other person is not interested in. Not picking up the signs maybe?

Small talk tends to be a one or two sentence conversation and thats it......

gyaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Feb 2012, 5:23 am

Thank you (obrigado)