Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

TheSperg
Toucan
Toucan

14 Oct 2013, 7:26 am

At age 30!

My most recent one was injecting real info into a discussion about the news, and being informed the misinformation was intentional as a humorous conversation starter. Or put another way people will intentionally inject misinformation into a discussion for the purpose of humor.

8O Can I apologize retroactively for all the derailed conversations somehow?

tonmeister
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2013, 9:58 am

Social epiphanies never go away! I still get them all the time at age 36. Yes, it does make me self-conscious about all of the stupid things I said or did over the years.

I remember when I realized that the phrase "I recognize that person's face" was meant literally, not figuratively. I have face blindness, so I recognize people through other means. I kind of assumed everyone did, and thought that "face" was a metonymy for the person's whole appearance. It blew my mind when I learned that most people do actually recognize facial features. (By the way, I was around 33 or so when I learned this!)

lostinlove
Raven
Raven

15 Oct 2013, 2:08 am

I am 33 and also having social epiphanies still! Mostly relating to humour, can't think of anything at the moment specifically, but that moment when you think "ah, that's what it was all about!" Is not an uncommon thought to me!!

elkclan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 5:05 am

I'm NT, 43 and still occasionally have social epiphanies. :wink:

conchscooter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2013, 5:34 am

I'm 55 and groan every time I trhink of the lost years wandering in a wilderness of social blunders. They've got better but half a century to learn how to imitate NTs seems rather excessive to me. I was blind as a bat at 30.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 5:42 am

I'm 29 and still having social epiphanies! For instance: I just learned that it's still polite to invite someone to an event you know they won't want to attend just for the gesture of kindness... I always assumed that, since I knew the person wouldn't want to go that not inviting them was the polite and thoughtful thing to do... go figure!

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 11:40 am

Almost 52 here and still discovering the principles humans live by.

Random42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2013, 11:52 am

I've known I was different since Kindergarten. Kind of found out why at 14 when I learned about AS, but at 27 I am just now getting a glimpse of what that means!

At age 14 I figured out I talked too much about my favorite topics, but didn't really grasp what else I was missing socially. Now I am just beggining to realize specific bits and pieces of the social world that I have been missing all along. I still don't know what to do with them, I just know they are there and I can't understand them. Ex. Nonverbal cues... I know they exist because I read about them and NTs have confirmed that hey see them regularly, and easily. However, I only see the most extreme exaggerated ones. When I listen to NTs talk about what they noticed in any given situation it is like getting a glimpse at a world I never knew existed. Now that I know it exists, I don't understand it... so I simply have a better grasp of how different I am. I hope the epiphanies get more specific.

AQ: 39
Aspie-quiz AS:154 NT:50
RAADS-R: 194
EQ:15 SQ:114