How old were you when you were diagnosed?

Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Before 6 years. 13%  13%  [ 14 ]
Between 7 and 12 years. 14%  14%  [ 15 ]
Between 13 and 18 years. 18%  18%  [ 20 ]
Between 19 and 25 years. 23%  23%  [ 26 ]
Between 26 and 35 years. 16%  16%  [ 18 ]
35 or older. 16%  16%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 111

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 8:14 pm

Also, post your diagnosis.

I was diagnosed with Aspergers and ADHD at a young age, between when I was 5 and 8 years old.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 8:26 pm

I was diagnosed at 5, for a while, I thought I was the person who got diagnosed as youngest age here.

I am unsure of what to call my diagnosis, it's written done as HFA but that is because the psychiatrist thought I needed services and people with Asperger's and PDD-NOS can't get services here. My mom told me that the psychiatrist said that PDD-NOS was more of accurate diagnosis though. I tell people I have Asperger's sometimes because that is a better way of describing me than autism I'd say, especially since lots of people in society think that autism=bad and treat people with autism like babies because they think they are more on that level (even though they are not).

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 9:21 pm

Diagnosed with Aspergers at 13-14.

You will reap what you've sown.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 9:46 pm

Opposite end of the scale.

Was officiall dx'd when I was 55.

Wished it had been a few decades earlier.

But then ¥ou run across people who gripe about being labeled at a young age.

So - all of you who got dxd prior to 8 years old- was that a good thing or a bad thing for you?

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 11:06 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

So - all of you who got dxd prior to 8 years old- was that a good thing or a bad thing for you?

I was only two years old when I was diagnosed and I have no memory of the diagnosis. My parents told me about AS when I was nine years old and it helped understand why I never quite fi into school. I think I would be wondering what was wrong with me if I didn't know of my diagnosis.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 11:19 pm

I was diagnosed with Asperger's at age 15.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 11:22 pm

Einfari wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

I was only two years old when I was diagnosed and I have no memory of the diagnosis. My parents told me about AS when I was nine years old and it helped understand why I never quite fi into school. I think I would be wondering what was wrong with me if I didn't know of my diagnosis.

Exactly.
That was my experience- not knowing why I didnt fit in.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 11:55 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

I would say it's both good and bad. Good in that I basically knew what was wrong with me for basically my entire life. The bad part is it labeled me, and in the 90's I don't think they knew how to handle people with AS very well - I was basically treated like I had mental retardation at school, even though I was very smart. I'm also in a very backwards place, as far as many mental health and disability support things go. At school, special education did more bad than good.

Other than that, it's been nice knowing what's going on the entire time. I didn't fully understand it at first, though. I also had a very hard time with people not having a single clue what it was, which is probably why I basically never tell people I have AS now.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

04 Feb 2012, 12:02 am

14/15

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 12:02 am

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

04 Feb 2012, 12:17 am

I was diagnosed with PDD-with classic autistic traits at 8 years old and profound ADHD at 9.
The only detail that kept me from getting the classic autism dx was that I was obsessed with imaginary play.
I would get in my imaginary world and did not want to come out, however most of my imaginary play was by myself.
But I didnt really understand what others said, expecally adults until I was about 12 and then it was like someone turned on the social lightbulb that there was a world beyond myself. Of course I spent the rest of my teen years wishing I could go back into my own world cuz the social world was really hard to understand and ruthless.

example: when I was 13, I was at a table in art class and a group of kids were at the table too...a boy asked me with all eyes on me, I bet you are a virgin??" I screamed no I am not!! because I thought virgin was a bad word. Ohhh I payed hell for that one! Its kinda funny now, but ohh it was rough then.
It took me about a year before I realized what a virgin was.

Jojo

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 2:43 am

Asperger's at age 12.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 2:49 am

About a month before my 18th birthday for my NVLD diagnosis.

BunnyMum
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Feb 2012, 3:06 am

I was diagnosed with ADHD-I in 2008 when I was 35.

Believe it or not I only learned about Asperger's two weeks ago when someone on a message board I read said her son had been diagnosed with ADHD and Asperger's. Being the curious person I am I went and searched it out on Google and read some blogs written by those who have it and what life is like living with it. I nearly fell off my chair... it was like they were talking about me!

I have since spent the past two weeks reading lots of threads here and as much as I can about it and I've made an appointment to see my doctor next week to discuss getting diagnosed for it. I'm really nervous about it as I live in a small town (moved here last year... got my ADHD tests done in a big city) and the doctors up here don't seem too knowledgeable about ADHD, so heaven only knows what they know about Asperger's.

I also don't know why the psychologist who tested me for ADHD didn't mention Asperger's or Autism to me. Would have saved a lot of time, trouble and money if she had!

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 3:59 am

Aspergers. Self diagnosed at 52, made official at 56

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 4:10 am

Age 10

Diagnosis Aspergers Syndrome

It will be 20 years since I was diagnosed in april this year