Dealing with stress - How do you do it?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Frankie_J
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Feb 2012, 1:16 pm

I really let it out today. Something work-wise has come up very short notice meaning I've had to plan a lot of things. One after the other problems started to arise and it really stressed me out, which rubbed off onto my parents too. They ended up having a BAD argument with my dad throwing things at walls and storming out the house. So today I had one last thing to sort out, but I was tired (I need lots of sleep!) and in a bad mood and my mum snapped at me. When I was out doing so I ended up breathing heavily, feeling sick, shaking and wanting to break down. Once I was home I got into bed and cried my eyes out. Possibly a panic attack.
My family don't understand that I'm not good with stress and are critical of me and make me feel worse. I think because I'm not diagnosed yet they don't get that I may be stressed, anxious, frustrated, angry, sad, etc because of AS and I can't always help it.

What are you like under stress? Are your family understanding? How do you cope?

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 1:37 pm

You should really phone a supportline Frankie_J. If you can.

The feelings your feeling is because of the domestic fight & no one copes with it.

but really you should phone a supportline, as I have no wisdom in it.

Skateri
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Feb 2012, 1:38 pm

When I'm under a lot of stress and pressure I usually tell the people that I'm with that I need a smoke and go out for a smoke... If I'm not the only one out for a smoke I usually go stand for myself and just try to empty my head... If this is not possible I excuse myself and go to the bathroom and splash some cold water in my face...
This will keep me going until I'm all by myself and then I try to write down everything that's in my head... Both good stuff and bad stuff...

I think that both my family and friends are very understanding because most of them know I need a "time-out" once in a while... And this that don't know I don't spend that much time with...

The way I cope when I'm in a stressful period in my life I take as much time as I need to calm myself and think about something else... This may result in some snapping at other people but I'm fairly good at apologizing and explaining afterwards... Which by the way took tons of practice and some friends who demanded an explanation...

"If you can dream it, you can do it!" - Walt Disney

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 1:45 pm

When I get stressed, I tell people that I need a few minutes outside. I go out, breath in the fresh air and than I'm able to cope again.

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Feb 2012, 1:46 pm

I exercise or drink alcohol. I have finally figured out that three things seem to break my endless cycle of freaking out until I am so exhausted that I pass out. They are, in order of efficacy:

1. A lot of sex (this works best but requires a partner and not having fighting parents in the other room);
2. Running very far...like as far as I can run in 1 or 2 hours;
3. Drinking a lot of alcohol and playing Xbox (this is by far the least healthy option but it works).

Giving your living situation, I recommend number 2. Running isn't the only way...when I wasn't in as good of shape, I just walked for miles and miles until whatever was stressing me out worked itself out of my mind. Sometime I would have to walk for a few hours. Running takes less time for me. Some of my coworkers...other Aspergirls actually, do Zumba classes after work or go to yoga classes or ride bicycles or go skiing...everybody is different.

Good luck with this and good for you for reaching out. Skills like how to deal with stress are not explicitly taught and they are super important so I don't know why not!

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 1:48 pm

Well in the past I used to take it out in FPS video games.

I also try meditating and I think it's very helpful.

kg4fxg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Feb 2012, 1:52 pm

I am not sure how to respond? (Aspie trait).
Most of my stress comes from work. Home is peaceful and my wife understands my routine and how I operate. I am very fortunate.

When I am stressed I can throw myself into things that I like or that I am obsessed with which is a great help.

B

Last edited by kg4fxg on 28 Feb 2012, 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 1:53 pm

Do you really wanna know? :twisted:

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Feb 2012, 2:07 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Do you really wanna know? :twisted:

You crack me up, Sweetleaf!

Actually reading this website also helps me calm down a lot too. You guys are pretty fun in general. :)

questor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 4:25 pm

You need to live alone. Then when you've had a bad day at work or out anywhere else, at least you can look forward to a haven at home. I've been living alone for several years now, after having lived all the rest of my life with relatives. My life is much less stressful and relatively peaceful now. I never want to live with anyone ever again!

In the mean time, you should head for the rest room to freshen up, listen to music, and find other ways to distract and calm yourself.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 4:51 pm

I stay the heck away from other people. I know better than to get stressed and have to worry about trying to communicate too. For one thing, I'd suck at it; for another thing, it'd make the stress worse; for a third, I might impulsively and stupidly hurt them by saying something immature and nasty.

For me, socializing is harder than calculus. Most people can't do calculus when they're upset--well, I can't socialize when I'm upset. If I want to get anything done, I get off by myself, cool down, relax, and THEN try to communicate. It's no use trying it when my brain is attempting to scatter itself to the four winds.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Keyman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Feb 2012, 6:37 pm

Get separate living quarters from other people. IMPORTANT!

Supportline?, if talking works for you..

Go out for a smoke.. Use alcohol or medications.. bad for health.

All the tips summarized:
* Splash some cold water in your face
* Be alone
* Go out and breath in fresh air
* Exercise
* Zumba or yoga class. Ride bicycle, go skiing or running very far.
* A lot of sex (requires partner)
* Video games or doing computers.
* Meditating
* Listen to music
* Eat a lot of sweets

zzmondo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 7:48 pm

When I'm under stress, there are times when I tend to be brutally honest and it can either make the situation better or worse in an argument. My family and I get over things quickly. My little brother and I get over things within a few minutes though. The way I typically cope is just remembering the big picture and thinking more broad rather then focusing on what is causing the stress.

Mithos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 1:07 am

I lay on my bed and hug my plushies. :)

Your Aspie score: 128 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Keyman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Feb 2012, 4:26 am

I forgot the most important strategy!

* Stimm on!

:P :wink:

throat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Feb 2012, 12:40 pm

I react to stress by becoming very passive, i bottle it all up and then when nobody is about I have a habit of breaking things.

One time i threw my computer monitor across the room.