Page 1 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

alex
Developer
Developer

27 Oct 2006, 8:34 pm

I'm in a bus. you heard me I'm in a freaking bus. why you ask? beacuse I take the train to nyc every weekend ans amtrak raised its price from 100 to 120 and the bus is 20 so I figured i'd give it a shot just for fun.

there is a reason the bus costs the same as a cheap pair of socks.

Its cramped and has no electical outlets. I feel sorry for the poor chaps who don't even havve the bare utility of verizon wireless internet (if u don't have that you're in the same boat I was a couple of weks ago when I just had a dinky phone with less than dialup speed internet. its worth the upgrade believe me)

anyone else hate busses as much as me?

note cr this is not a routemaster

Deccajay
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 8:41 pm

I have never taken such a bus, but it does not sound pleasant

Steve_Cory
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 8:46 pm

You have my sympathy, friend. I have taken normal school buses, but that doesnt' sound near as bad as what you're having to experience.

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 8:49 pm

I hate all public transportation vehicles.

Get a car and/or a driving license.

'Tis munny in my purse.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 8:50 pm

I took a bus trip once.

Are you going easy, going Greyhound?

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 8:53 pm

You're a king in your own car. If you're an aspie, you're an emperor in your own car, because you don't have to travel with NT dregs that you don't even know and don't want to know either.

'Tis munny in my purse.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 9:08 pm

Amtrak costs more than double the gas cost even when it was $3.00 a gallon and they still complain about not making money but I'd take it over a noisy diesel bus any day and the way they drive terrifies me

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 9:25 pm

Yes and No

Where I got on/off (both ways) was the "tip" of the route. In other words, I was the first one on, last one off. I always got a seat at the back where I could best maximum my space.

If I had to get on in between the route, I hated it

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 10:05 pm

I agree, I've had some really dismal experiences taking the bus. Also, because I've taken the train as well as the bus between Washington DC and NYC, I have to say that the scenery on the train is definately a LOT more interesting, especially from 30th St. Station in Philadelphia, and New York.

Tell me when you get there... Which do you think is worse, Penn Station or Port Authority? :)

Louise
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Oct 2006, 10:11 pm

Electrical outlets? On a bus?

alex
Developer
Developer

27 Oct 2006, 10:17 pm

actually they dropped me off on the sidewalk in front of penn station. company is called premium buses and they have no terminal. they're currently being investigated for break failures

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 10:28 pm

out here in the west, Amtrak is cheap, probably cheaper than driving. I took greyhound from Denver to Buffalo, WY and what would have been 6 hours in a car, was 10 hours-plus a dirt road!
On the way back, this girl and guy were flirting (she's got a younger sister with her) and the next thing, they are making out. Very uncomfortable. And the little sister turns to the others and says, "she does this everytime we're on the bus".

I've taken Greyhound from Tucson to the border, an 1 1/2 hour trip. That was nicer than driving, but on the way back we had to go through a border patrol checkpoint (although I did it at the border itself) 40 miles up. They were very rude (not allowing Mexicans to speak English).

briangwin33
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Oct 2006, 10:44 pm

Oh, the Chinese bus! Right? I used to take Greyhound from DC to NY just about every weekend for eight months and it was absolutely horrible! Cell phones constantly going off, some mind-numbing stupid movie on that I had already endured for two months, the smelling masses of flesh, the people yakking. OH MY GOD! I always made sure I was the first one in line and sat at the very front, taking a window seat, and wore my custom-made earplugs, had headphones playing white noise over my ears, and stuck my head in the corner and pretended to be asleep so that no one would try to talk to me.

Horrible!

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 10:50 pm

I have taken the bus for very short trips and one long trip (Bennington VT to Buffalo NY) when my car broke down. Otherwise, I usually drive.

I wonder why they raised the price of the train ticket on their lucrative corridor. I am taking Amtrak from La Crosse to Buffalo for Thanksgiving and the ticket price is about even with what it would cost me in gas and tolls if I were to drive (not accounting for wear and tear on my vehicle or on my nerves when driving through Lake Snow Country).

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

Steve_Cory
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 10:52 pm

alex wrote:
actually they dropped me off on the sidewalk in front of penn station. company is called premium buses and they have no terminal. they're currently being investigated for break failures

That's scary.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

27 Oct 2006, 11:19 pm

I like taking the bus, especially on a scenic route, but I personally prefer trains because it's a bit hard for them to change their route :wink: . Also, people are less inclined to talk on trains.