Are you "allowed" to have a sense of humor...

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 6:41 pm

What do the rolling eyes mean?

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 6:44 pm

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 6:45 pm

Orr wrote:

I interpret it as them being sarcastic or that they think something is stupid. Sometimes it means nothing to me because it makes no sense due to how it's being used in the context.

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2012, 6:57 pm

Orr wrote:

For me, when I sit and quietly roll my eyes in real life, it means that while I understand the fact of a situation i.e. that people exist who enjoy cruelty, I have no idea how I could go about rectifying the situation e.g. by showing them that there are better ways to enjoy life than to laugh at the pain of others.

Sorry it was so unclear. I can definitely see how the eye-rolling could mean sarcasm. Thanks for pointing this out with your question! :)

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 7:01 pm

I remember Thomas the Tank Engine using them, but it was lost on me then too. I do it occasionally as a stim.

Thank you for explaining.

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2012, 7:08 pm

Of course. Communication is a two-way...or sometimes three-, four-, or five-way street.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 8:03 pm

My sense of humour is very wide. I can laugh about almost all kinds of jokes, some of which are ridiculously insulting or even borderline illegal, but I do prefer sudden remarks or philosophical and political jokes. An example of a joke I made is this.

There was a guy playing a video game on a laptop at school. I was talking to someone else a few meters away from him. Apparently, we were being a bit loud, so someone told us the guy playing the video game might be working. I took a look at the game he was playing and remarked: "If what he's doing is work, I'd like a full time job." Not exactly that, but that's a pretty accurate translation from my silly first language. Mainly because of my famously dry tone, everyone in the room laughed.
Another, more cruel example. I was asked, in front of class, what I thought of migrant workers from a certain country. I said "Horrible, horrible people. No, just kidding, never met any, so I'm indifferent." They all laughed.

Something occurred to me just tonight, when I was discussing autism with someone who insists that he was mis-diagnosed. We were discussing how two traits supposedly known to indicate autism are taking things literally and not being able to distinguish sarcasm from genuine remarks, and how we were both pretty much the exact opposite. Then I remembered something. There are two kinds of people who laugh about remarks I make. People who don't know I have Asperger's, and people who know I have Asperger's and have plenty of experience with actual people (and, preferably, a related disorder). People who know I have Asperger's, but theoretical or ivory tower knowledge at most, seem to be very intimidated and apparently judge me by the most literal sense of the book they've read and take everything I say seriously, even when it is, to all others, obviously in jest.

Psychiatrists don't get my sense of humour. Nearly everyone else does.

Moriath
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Feb 2012, 8:53 pm

At work i mostly tone it down but i think they are used to my sense of humour. Its very observational and a little cutting. At home my wife is used to it. But i have lost many contacts and had people not speak to me for ages when i let rip online after a couple of drinks.

I guess my humour isnt for all.

Best thing i got was you cant keep using aspergers as an excuse you have had it years now you should know better. :rolleyes:

Its a pervasive complaint you dont get over it or suddenly learn social after dx at 35

Really pisses me off

Ookla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2012, 10:08 pm

My humor tends to be dark and very sarcastic, and most people seem to be uncomfortable with it. (Or worse.) I learned long ago that it's better to keep my little musings to myself. Of course, then people accuse me of being too quiet, too serious, grim, somber, serial-killer-ish, etc.

NTs. The bastards are impossible to please. :P

Mithos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 2:04 am

My sense of humor sometimes gets me into trouble. I make jokes that sometimes insult people. But I don't have Autism I don't think, Maybe my ADHD has something to do with my strange humor. Heck if I know. Doctors are over rated.

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 2:16 am

Others dont get my humour, it gets percieved as weird. People want to know why Im laughing but then dont get why I think its funny, if I refuse to explain then they get annoyed at me. I dont get others humour, and have a hard time noticing whether they are being sarcastic etc. Ive only ever met one other person who really got my sense of humour.

Paulie_C
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Feb 2012, 2:46 am

The way I see it is; if it's funny I'll laugh. My humour ranges from witty puns (I find puns so dam funny for some reason) all the way to what others may see as wildly inappropriate. I often have thoughts in my head that if I blurted them out then perhaps I'd get 'looks'. Plus I can also make myself laugh like you wouldn't believe. I just love to laugh, it's something that can make us all feel good inside so I do it as much as I can, I don't care what people think, if I'm laughing just leave me be so I can squeeze as much joy out of it as possible before I have to return to real life.

When I first saw this on family guy I nearly stopped breathing with laughter. Beware you may not find it funny as you can see by the title, if you don't think you will then just don't watch it please.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtkBIUgkEXg&feature=related[/youtube]

Suspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2012, 11:03 pm

I have a very dry and dark sense of humour and I have just about learned where to not make such jokes. I love sarcasm, too, but I never make jokes that are ridiculing other people and I don't like those TV shows where the presenter starts the show with a little "stand up comedy" that belittles various celebs.politicians etc.
I suppose I could make an exception when it comes to the Kardashians, because I believe that they themselves have worked so hard in removing all their self respect that laughing at them would be a way of honouring their efforts.

Catman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Feb 2012, 5:04 am

Hmm. Yeah. I've noticed in recent posts on here that I've started making little jokes. I guess that just means I'm getting more comfortable here. But people! Seriously! Somebody say something to me if one of my jokes isn't funny, is mean, or in bad taste. Really! Because I certainly don't mean to offend anybody. Not here, anyway! :D

EQ, SQ: 21, 67 (Extreme Systemizing); HSP: 12

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 5:08 am

It depends how you convey that humor, if it is applied in the wrong way, it can either go horribly wrong and someone can be insulted or it can go very well and that person will understand your type of humor. Dry wit is harder to apply, whereas slapstick humor may appear more obvious depending on the type of audience you are trying to convey that humor towards.

Some people are good at conveying humor in real life with body language and quirkiness, others are good at using sarcasm or dry wit online.

modelmaker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2012, 5:39 am

Wolfheart wrote:
It depends how you convey that humor, if it is applied in the wrong way, it can either go horribly wrong and someone can be insulted or it can go very well and that person will understand your type of humor. Dry wit is harder to apply, whereas slapstick humor may appear more obvious depending on the type of audience you are trying to convey that humor towards.

Some people are good at conveying humor in real life with body language and quirkiness, others are good at using sarcasm or dry wit online.

^ This :thumleft:

Can someone tell me how to apply my signature to my posts ?..., as my pen scratches my PC screen !

PM me anytime for advice, chat or just to say hello.