Are you quite particular? Expect particular standards?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Frankie_J
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Feb 2012, 5:10 pm

Sometimes when I experience something I pick up on stuff and feel the need to 'complain' or give feedback - usually this is with a purchase. I find myself always writing emails to places expressing dissatisfaction with a product I bought from them. The other day I took photos of a sandwich I bought because it was tiny compared to the packaging it came in and there was a mean amount of filling in it. I emailed the cinema I attended the other week to complain about a really noisy, disruptive group of girls who wouldn't shut up during a film (and got two, free tickets out of it!) And so on. Am I weird?

Is anyone else like this? I guess I just expect a particular standard if I pay for something.

eigerpere
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2012, 5:13 pm

Do you have a sense of humor? That gets me through many life problems. :D

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 5:16 pm

I sometimes wish I could be more like this. Not always, but most of the time, if I am dissatisfied with something, I just shrug it off like a pushover. Unless I've spent a great deal of money, I don't really bother.

Invader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2012, 5:23 pm

I always have the urge to complain about practically everything, but over the years I've learned that it's not always the best idea, even if keeping quiet feels like it's the end of the world.

It's a surefire way to get someone to spit in your food, or pass your contact information on to spam advertisers etc.

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 5:31 pm

Sparx wrote:
I sometimes wish I could be more like this. Not always, but most of the time, if I am dissatisfied with something, I just shrug it off like a pushover. Unless I've spent a great deal of money, I don't really bother.

Yeah, this is me. I'm completely non-confrontational, and can be quite the pushover because of it. Over the weekend, my stepmom let my brother eat MY leftover pizza (as in, pizza I personally purchased), and I texted her to ask where it was, and then indicated that I was disappointed because I'd planned to eat it for lunch (complete understatement of the century...in reality, I was freaking the hell out). Just telling her that I was disappointed felt really confrontational to me, so I avoided her the rest of the day, like she'd be mad at me for calling her out, when really, I had every right to be angry. :roll:

Diagnosed with AS and Anxiety Disorder - NOS on 03/21/2012

Frankie_J
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Feb 2012, 5:55 pm

eigerpere wrote:

Yes. I have a great sense of humour, actually. It probably stops me from complaining about everything. And stops me from going insane.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 7:29 pm

I have too high standards for many things. When I was a TA, I graded students' lab reports and papers 25-30% below the cluster of the grades from all the other TAs. This was me trying to grade as leniently as possible for me. I am surprised that my students did not come after me with pitches and torchforks.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 12:02 am

I have -very- high standards for people, just in general. I expect a lot out of everyone, have been called a perfectionist, etc. I am well known for mostly giving critical remarks. However, I do my best to criticize in a helpful way, and try to help them improve. In certain circles, my criticism does not seem to go over well, but in other circles, everyone is OK with it and in fact desires and respects my opinion.

For example, my bands like that I'm critical - often when you show someone a song or an idea for a song, they will say "oh that's nice" or whatever, some canned positive answer, but I always try to find things they could improve, or things I don't like about it, what I would change, etc. The percussionist from my 4 person group and my trio, who I've known for about 10 years, said that what he likes about me is that if I dislike something, I'm never afraid to say so, and that he knows when I give him an opinion that it's honest.

eigerpere
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2012, 12:31 am

Frankie_J wrote:
eigerpere wrote:

Yes. I have a great sense of humour, actually. It probably stops me from complaining about everything. And stops me from going insane.

Yup, I have to laugh sometimes just to balance out the crying. I enjoy humor. It helps to balance out the hard stuff. :)

kBillingsley
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Feb 2012, 1:09 am

I cannot bring myself to expect any more of others than I do for myself.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 2:06 am

kBillingsley wrote:
I cannot bring myself to expect any more of others than I do for myself.

That's the reason my standards are so high for everyone - I have even higher standards for myself.

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 8:22 am

I have two standards, I either do it all myself or nothing at all. I can't get attached to a project or idea if I lose control of quality.

Jason

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 8:35 am

btbnnyr wrote:
I have too high standards for many things. When I was a TA, I graded students' lab reports and papers 25-30% below the cluster of the grades from all the other TAs. This was me trying to grade as leniently as possible for me. I am surprised that my students did not come after me with pitches and torchforks.

Our TA would staple a folded paper with all the answers to the back of our homework.... :roll:

I actually have high standards. But people bring me dirty car rentals, dirty drinking glasses. They fix my brand new car wrong twice...

Most recently they handed me a drink at Starbucks that looked as if they dropped it. It was double cupped with whip cream on the side? Bah I say.

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 8:39 am

Things like sticky jars and messy ketchup bottles drive me crazy. I have a problem with the people in my building not taking care of their own junk mail. Grown men cycling on the pavement and expecting me to move out of their way to allow them past drives me crazy. People being just generally inconsiderate and selfish gets on my nerves. I know not to act on it, I know some dont have that mental switch and do.
I can't wait to see God Bless America.

modelmaker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2012, 8:47 am

Yes, I'm quite fussy about some things.

I often do DIY jobs & also make furniture for myself out of wood,
If I'm using screws, all the screws must be the same size (which is understandable) but some have a slightly different thread, to me, they MUST all be exactly the same for the project I am doing.

It drives me crazy sometimes, sorting the same types of everything needed can be time consuming.

Can someone tell me how to apply my signature to my posts ?..., as my pen scratches my PC screen !

PM me anytime for advice, chat or just to say hello.

kg4fxg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Feb 2012, 9:11 am

I think we are talking about perfectionism. And I look at it as a good thing.

B

Last edited by kg4fxg on 28 Feb 2012, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.