Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

darkfuji
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Feb 2012, 9:39 am

is it just me or do there seem to be quite a few wrongly self diagnosed people on this website.

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 9:47 am

Yeah i could be one of them but im under going testing for AS now. xD
I was "self diagnosed" by 7 Aspie friends I have.

kg4fxg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Feb 2012, 9:47 am

What do you mean by wrongly diagnosed? Please, I am not attacking you.

Can I assume you feel that there are those here who are not Aspie's? Why do you think that is the case? Do you think they are normal or have other issues? For example, I could list what I think are my Aspie traits and they are either that or I am completely normal.

I like your post. I hope more post here. Please, no offense great question.

B

darkfuji
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Feb 2012, 9:53 am

kg4fxg wrote:
Can I assume you feel that there are those here who are not Aspie's? Why do you think that is the case? Do you think they are normal or have other issues? For example, I could list what I think are my Aspie traits and they are either that or I am completely normal.

B

dont worry i am not one to take offence
but if you look around on the forums there are a lot of people that state that they are self diagnosed and quite a few of them i have seen have not seemed to have many of the traits of aspergers syndrome or high functioning authism.

TB
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 9:57 am

i can't back you up. I do not get the impression there are many wrongfully self diagnosed people here, there might be. I just have no clue how you could spot something like this.
Is it that all people who did not receive official diagnosis are frowned upon ?.

darkfuji
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Feb 2012, 10:05 am

TB wrote:
i can't back you up. I do not get the impression there are many wrongfully self diagnosed people here, there might be. I just have no clue how you could spot something like this.
Is it that all people who did not receive official diagnosis are frowned upon ?.

definitely not i would not frown upon people that didn't get an official diagnosis but some people seem to have exaggerated on the test they done you know a bit like when ever you read about something like head lice you instantly think you have them.

Catman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Feb 2012, 10:13 am

I'll bite. Am I one of those you mention? Feel free to question my aspiness. :D

EQ, SQ: 21, 67 (Extreme Systemizing); HSP: 12

kestrel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 10:16 am

darkfuji wrote:
definitely not i would not frown upon people that didn't get an official diagnosis but some people seem to have exaggerated on the test they done you know a bit like when ever you read about something like head lice you instantly think you have them.

You mean confirmation bias. This is one reason I dislike relying on online tests. They may indicate something, but subjective experience can be difficult to quantify. How have you noticed this problem, though? It seems to me that one would need a comprehensive understanding of the behavior of the people who self-diagnose in order to reach such a conclusion.

darkfuji
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Feb 2012, 10:23 am

Catman wrote:

1) i do not know you 2) nice joke
kestrel wrote:
darkfuji wrote:

You mean confirmation bias. This is one reason I dislike relying on online tests. They may indicate something, but subjective experience can be difficult to quantify. How have you noticed this problem, though? It seems to me that one would need a comprehensive understanding of the behavior of the people who self-diagnose in order to reach such a conclusion.

for one and a half months i decided to dedicate all my reading to the symptoms of aspergers syndrome. (and i can read fast).

Last edited by darkfuji on 25 Feb 2012, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

darkfuji
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Feb 2012, 10:25 am

darkfuji wrote:
Catman wrote:

1) i do not know you 2) nice joke
kestrel wrote:
darkfuji wrote:

for one and a half months i decided to dedicate all my reading to the symptoms of aspergers syndrome. (and i can read fast).

sorry for self quoting but before anyone else points it out i spelt asperger,s wrong

kestrel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 10:31 am

darkfuji wrote:

We have that in common, then. On an online forum such as this (especially), it's difficult to measure another person's subjective experience, and such a measurement is prone to any number of errors similar to confirmation bias. This is one of the benefits of pursuing an official diagnosis -- it's comprehensive and not reliant on a narrow field of data, by design. That's the only reason I question the assertion when I see people make it (that many undiagnosed people are mistaken). They may well be mistaken, but I'm in no position to try and falsify their claim (unless it's particularly egregious, in which case talking to them about it may be more helpful, as most people are just honestly looking for answers about themselves).

Last edited by kestrel on 25 Feb 2012, 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 10:36 am

is this question "Do there seem to be quite a few wrongly self diagnosed people on this website" or

Why is they so many self diagnosed, than diagnosed on this website?

As in putting they minds at rest. Even if it might not. :/ Maybe they confident they 99.9% correct.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 10:46 am

darkfuji wrote:
is it just me or do there seem to be quite a few wrongly self diagnosed people on this website.

Based on what, your own perception of how people with Aspergers should express themselves on the internet? I think even a licensced psychiatrist might have a hard time determining if one has Aspergers/Autism based simply on what the person says on the internet. So I wouldn't focus on it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 10:47 am

darkfuji wrote:
kg4fxg wrote:

B

dont worry i am not one to take offence
but if you look around on the forums there are a lot of people that state that they are self diagnosed and quite a few of them i have seen have not seemed to have many of the traits of aspergers syndrome or high functioning authism.

You mean wrongly self diagnosed.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 10:48 am

darkfuji wrote:
TB wrote:

How can you tell if people have exaggerated on the test?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 10:51 am

TechnoDog wrote:
is this question "Do there seem to be quite a few wrongly self diagnosed people on this website" or

Why is they so many self diagnosed, than diagnosed on this website?

As in putting they minds at rest. Even if it might not. :/ Maybe they confident they 99.9% correct.

Well it's easy, its a support site for people with Autism/Aspergers and does not specify only officially diagnosed people are welcome.