Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

whitemissacacia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Feb 2012, 11:01 am

One of my old classmates asked me about lucid dreams, you know, when you're perfectly aware that you're dreaming. Is it common amongst you guys? Has it ever happened to you lot? It recently happened to me, and I remember a couple of lucid dreams during my childhood, but not many. I would therefore like to read about your experiences. :D

BTW: Happy weekend! :lol:

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 11:04 am

whitemissacacia wrote:
One of my old classmates asked me about lucid dreams, you know, when you're perfectly aware that you're dreaming. Is it common amongst you guys? Has it ever happened to you lot? It recently happened to me, and I remember a couple of lucid dreams during my childhood, but not many. I would therefore like to read about your experiences. :D

BTW: Happy weekend! :lol:

It's happened to me too but it's very rare, like years apart.

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 11:12 am

Yes, and they were so much better and more intense than so-called RL. Still working on how to evoke them deliberately. There are numerous sites on this topic, different methods ...

Have a Happy Weekend too!

whitemissacacia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Feb 2012, 11:19 am

PTSmorrow wrote:
Have a Happy Weekend too!

Aw, thanks! :D

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Feb 2012, 11:27 am

When I was younger (a child into my early teens), I would realize I was dreaming during frightening dreams and could then wake myself up.

Now I am 31 years old and have developed the ability to basically jump right into the dreamscape I want. Imagine being awake, laying in bed with your eyes closed and then instantly landing on your feet in a combat scenario and actually knowing that it is a dream/simulation/etc. That is what it's like!

I highly recommend development of lucid dreaming skills. My sleeping life is far more exciting than my waking life.

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 12:11 pm

ghostar wrote:
My sleeping life is far more exciting than my waking life.

Yes, absolutely. It's so much more intense and vivid, like what's named hyperreality. Compared to that kind of dreams, "real life" is like a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy ... just dull and crude.

Doubutsu
Raven
Raven

10 Feb 2012, 12:17 pm

I had some, but I couldn't control them properly, I tried to fly without success, I also tried to turn into werewolf when pursued by ninjas but I turned them instead, it was worse :lol:
You can get this dreams with some techniques to remember dreams + reality tests, I tried it and it worked, but then I forgot about it and I stopped practicing.
I should practise again because I think dreams are important, real or not they are part of our life too, and we spend most of our lives sleeping.

ghostar wrote:
When I was younger (a child into my early teens), I would realize I was dreaming during frightening dreams and could then wake myself up.

Now I am 31 years old and have developed the ability to basically jump right into the dreamscape I want. Imagine being awake, laying in bed with your eyes closed and then instantly landing on your feet in a combat scenario and actually knowing that it is a dream/simulation/etc. That is what it's like!

I highly recommend development of lucid dreaming skills. My sleeping life is far more exciting than my waking life.

That's what I want to reach.

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 12:36 pm

Yes, I often have lucid dreams. It tends to happen when I go to bed in an anxious or frightened state.

For instance, my family was away for a weekend and I was at home by myself. Despite being almost 26, I am terrified of the dark; paranormal subjects used to be a special interest of mine...I only stopped pursuing it because I realized I was too frightened to ever actually 'investigate.' Anyway, I was in bed, with the door shut, and I had the light on out in the hallway (in case I had to get up or something). Well, I was incredibly anxious, jumping at every noise...and then I heard someone out in the hallway; it was unmistakeable. I was laying there, literally paralyzed with fear (my limbs would not move), waiting for the person to come in and probably kill me, when I noticed that there was no ring of light around my door, as there had been when I got in bed. This made me aware that I was dreaming, and I promptly woke up. My room looked exactly as it had in the dream, but the ring of light was back around my door.

This happens A LOT.

Also, my dreams tend to be incredibly realistic; typically exact replicas of my waking life. This gave me a lot of trouble growing up, because I would always think that the events from my dreams had actually happened. It might take me a couple of days or even weeks to understand it was a dream.

Diagnosed with AS and Anxiety Disorder - NOS on 03/21/2012

jenniferjupiter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Feb 2012, 12:39 pm

PTSmorrow wrote:
Yes, and they were so much better and more intense than so-called RL. Still working on how to evoke them deliberately. There are numerous sites on this topic, different methods ...

I've tried Stilton cheese and apple juice, but they haven't worked for me. What has worked is taking the natural health products for my anxiety treatment right before bed. I use GABA capsules, Valerian root and Gaia Serenity with Passionflower. My dreams are lucid and I remember them!

I try to remember my dreams because sometimes they can be cathartic and healing, as in they will make me realize something important.

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200 ~ Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 65 of 200 ~ You are very likely an Aspie

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Feb 2012, 12:45 pm

jenniferjupiter's post reminded me that when I take a melatonin supplement, my ability to dream lucidly is amplified about 100-fold.

I can do it without melatonin easily but the length of time I am lucid in the dreamspace is much shorter. It's really bizarre because I will be in the middle of a lucid combat dream and notice that I am starting to dematerialize and I immediately think to myself (in the dream state), "Damn it! I forgot to swallow melatonin before bed!" and then the dream ends even if I don't wake up right then. It is like turning off one of those old analog television sets where the image collapses down to a pinpoint of light before going out completely.

My brain is a fascinating place to live. I am pretty stoked that I have you guys to talk to about it now. :)

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 12:49 pm

ghostar wrote:
jenniferjupiter's post reminded me that when I take a melatonin supplement, my ability to dream lucidly is amplified about 100-fold.

I can do it without melatonin easily but the length of time I am lucid in the dreamspace is much shorter. It's really bizarre because I will be in the middle of a lucid combat dream and notice that I am starting to dematerialize and I immediately think to myself (in the dream state), "Damn it! I forgot to swallow melatonin before bed!" and then the dream ends even if I don't wake up right then. It is like turning off one of those old analog television sets where the image collapses down to a pinpoint of light before going out completely.

My brain is a fascinating place to live. I am pretty stoked that I have you guys to talk to about it now. :)

I recently stopped taking Melatonin, just because I feel like it was building up inside of me during the day and keeping me tired (but, at least I was going to bed prior to 4 or 5am, :roll: ), but while I was taking it, my dreams were wildly vivid. Much more so than any other time. I didn't notice if or how it affected my lucid dreams.

Diagnosed with AS and Anxiety Disorder - NOS on 03/21/2012

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 12:52 pm

No I don't think it happens to me very much.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Feb 2012, 1:27 pm

I've had a few attempts at attaining lucidity, but despite performing regular reality checks I rarely did the checks in my dreams. A few times I went lucid only for the dreams to collapse. Three times I have managed to sustain lucidity for a while, twice recently when I wasn't trying! My dream control is very weak though, the first time I was too busy trying to sustain the dream to attempt anything. The third time (which was only a few weeks ago) I tried to fly but couldn't really take off, so there was a frustrating lack of control.

The second time was laughable, not really appropriate for a public forum. It was the only time I had an element of control, but my body failed me after two seconds. :oops:

echinopsis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Feb 2012, 1:34 pm

short explanation:

melatonin is a hormone that regulates the mammalian sleep wake cycle and can be an effective treatment for insomnia. it does not induce lucidity in dreams but it significantly prolongs the rem stages that are associated with dreaming. prior to waking up naturally, before the first rem (dream) stage and in between rem stages the human mind goes through several more or less unconscious non-rem stages. when waking up in the middle of a dream the dream content can easily be remembered, which becomes less likely after the usual natural process of traversing from a very active dream state to an almost inactive state of mind to the wake state. in case of the dream being lucid you can witness your brain slowly switching into a non-rem state (dematerilization / fading of the current dreamscape).

for me remembering my dreams (lucid or not) and thereby keeping in touch with the dream reality is the most important factor evoking lucidity. and i absolutely agree on the dream reality being much more vivid and interesting compared to real life. i just love it.

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Feb 2012, 1:35 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I've had a few attempts at attaining lucidity, but despite performing regular reality checks I rarely did the checks in my dreams. A few times I went lucid only for the dreams to collapse. Three times I have managed to sustain lucidity for a while, twice recently when I wasn't trying! My dream control is very weak though, the first time I was too busy trying to sustain the dream to attempt anything. The third time (which was only a few weeks ago) I tried to fly but couldn't really take off, so there was a frustrating lack of control.

The second time was laughable, not really appropriate for a public forum. It was the only time I had an element of control, but my body failed me after two seconds. :oops:

I think the flying part is hard for lot of us. It took me four dreams before I could get off the ground...it turns out that I needed wings. I had been trying to do it Superman-style and it wasn't working out for me.

Have you tried growing wings in the dream?

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 2:35 pm

I experimented with this back in the 80's. Never had much control, but I definitely remember having dreams within my dreams. Hey, its wild, but it happened and I knew the firt one was a dream, but not until alarm rung that the awake "Reality" was also a dream state.
Since I've been taking Lyrica some of my dreams have become less intense, plus not remembering them all that much. In my teens & 20s I lived as much in dreams as real life. Always knew when I was dreaming, well mostly, but recalled EVERYTHING..

Sincerely,
Matthew