Handwriting anyone? Inconsistent or just plain bad?

Page 3 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ReindeerRoger
Raven
Raven

09 Mar 2012, 1:08 am

I write compulsively in journals, so my cursive writing is really neat looking and uniform. I still think it's somewhat ugly (like, it's sort of rigid and geometric as opposed to sleek and elegant) But I consciously try to improve it every so often. Thusfar people have told me they like how it looks but can't really read it.

Helvetica
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Mar 2012, 1:14 am

I did not bother to read most of the thread, however I can say my handwriting is atrocious. It's gotten me mocked my whole life. Before I came to the conclusion that I might have ASD I thought I might have Dysgraphia.

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Mar 2012, 2:59 am

Inconsistent.
I realised the other day that I don't join up my letters, except for "re" (no idea why I only join those two). I normally start off a paragraph trying to write in a large, legible style, but find that my writing gets smaller and smaller until I've reverted back to my tiny, cramped style.

skenasis
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Mar 2012, 3:11 am

Actually, my handwriting is pretty neat. If I rush, it looks slightly messy, but is still perfectly legible. People tell me all the time how neat my writing is.

Sagroth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 4:20 am

Mine is horrible. But then, I've got motor dysgraphia, which also means it hurts to write by hand.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 5:06 am

I have 2 writing styles. If I take my time and really concentrate, it can be very nice. Birthday cards and letters to school are always neat. But, my natural handwriting is not good. I don't even think the letters form naturally at all and joined up writing is not easy for me. I often have to go over bits to complete letters that haven't been formed correctly, so that I can read it myself.

My husband, who is definitely BAP, but would not meet the criteria for AS, has terrible handwriting. It's really illegible and, if he writes a card, he usually makes a mistake and it looks awful. He's unable to make his look neat, whereas I can. I would say he has undiagnosed dysgraphia (as well as undiagnosed dyslexia). He holds a pen weirdly too, with his thumb and first 2 fingers like a pincer, not with the pen resting on his middle finger, the way most people do.

Our daughter has the best handwriting in her class and, of the 3 of us, she's the one with the most obvious ASD. Her teacher told me that her writing was so beautiful that it made her feel quite emotional. :roll: My Mum, who I suspect as being on the spectrum too, used to win school prizes for her handwriting (it's like calligraphy).

Lunarflowermaiden
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Mar 2012, 5:53 am

Mine looks pretty much the same way it did when I was seven. Mostly because I avoid writing by hand whenever possible, because it hurts my fingers.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 7:49 am

Plain bad

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp3412825.html#3412825

no capitals to wrong capitals............etc

dysgraphia

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 8:10 am

I can write quite well.

Sucked to begin with due to being unable to hold a pencil correctly, but those slip on polygon thingies helped that.

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 9:00 am

I have about 5 different ways I hold a pen, but my handwriting always turns out pretty much the same.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 11:41 am

Well, it was always bad. But now throw in arthritis starting in hands, I believe I fit Asperger's description of our writing thusly: ATROCIOUS.
Thank God for my PC!

Sincerely,
Matthew

identity
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 1:44 pm

I'm really intrigued by handwriting, it's so unique. I wonder whether there is anything in graphology. :chin: I like watching people write aswell, that probably sounds a bit strange. :oops:
If you can't read my writing, basically it's quite inconsistent but usually quite messy :P
[img][800:768]http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k593/blackandwhiteincolour/DSCF2797.jpg[/img]

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 1:48 pm

That is better than mine at its best! LOL

Matt

archraphael
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Mar 2012, 2:23 pm

My handwriting is excellent to the point of perfect almost typed-out looking and good cursive too

The issue with autistics is brain structure not necessarily specific x y and z brain issues like bad handwriting

I know autistics who are social savants
I know autistics who are acrobatic savants
I myself as an autistic am an artistic savant
I myself as an autistic have savant psychic abilities (not to be confused with complete psychosis/schizophrenia but actual psychic abilities. IE Temple Grandin is a savant with cattle/equestrian as well as a very good speaker to the savant level, as well as inventive.)
I myself am not inventive unless I obsess about creating/invtenting something
I myself am an extremely good writer and sensitive illustrator

On the flip side I have poor 'practical skills' and learn 'common sense' and 'social skills' by rote memory

This is why autistics are often compartmentalized into "highly logical, poor social skills, good at math, good at remembering sequences and patterns"
I myself have a poor memory and often get stuck in 1 place literally doing nothing but thinking or being empty mentally

Which is what is special about spectrum people is the special abilities they can develop

I suppose my point is there is no 1 shoe to fit all autistics. I know autistics who have very poor social skills but can maneuver the social world in their own way, I know autistics who go places because they are interested
I know autistics who are insensitive to social blows, I myself am highly sensitive to social as*holes and conscientious of the social world at the same time as having very poor/lack of interest in developing social skills

1 autistic I do admire greatly is armankhodaei on youtube who has developed extremely good social skills, speaking skills, political skills, and tastes

OTOH my mentor at college is the opposite with poor common sense, sex obsessed, complete obsession with his lines of work, and developed a sociopathic style of speaking/behaving

So we all come in different colours.. It's a spectrum after all... Different colours of the puzzle, different genetics and environments that developed our autistic tendencies and abilities...

/end ramble .. ..

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 2:32 pm

I have 3 or 4 different types of handwriting that I use.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 2:32 pm

My handwriting is well-known in every school I've ever been to. It's so legendary, I had to visit some kind of therapist who said my finer motor skills were at about 80% of what could be expected from someone my age. Apparently, the only person currently teaching me who can read my handwriting is a guy who studied medieval handwritings for a while.

My handwriting has several problems. Any 'n' at the end of a word, which happens a lot in my main language, is hardly visible, which often leads people to believe I've made severe mistakes in the content or grammar of the text. The closer I get to the right of the page, the more my handwriting turns into waving lines, especially when I have to write large amounts of text by hand.

My letters are consistent, but wrong. My lower-case 'l' is usually a small version of an upper-case 'L'. My 't' looks like a crudely-drawn cross. And finally, I tend to connect letters in ways damaging to the human eye. If this discussion goes on for a long time, I might feel obliged to get an example, which usually causes people to laugh and question if it's really a handwriting.