Handwriting anyone? Inconsistent or just plain bad?

Page 4 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Whosinabunker
Toucan
Toucan

09 Mar 2012, 3:11 pm

My handwriting now that I am in college is exactly the same as it was in Kindergarten (I know for a fact, I saw some old stuff I wrote around then) and there are plenty of times when I am studying and I have to say "WHAT AM I TRYING TO SAY!? I CAN'T READ THIS!"

ECJ
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Mar 2012, 3:30 pm

My handwriting is terrible. Very hard to read, it's so small and always in cursive script.
I write neater in Japanese!!

levicorpus
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Mar 2012, 1:01 am

Sometimes my handwriting is pretty neat, but other times its overly large and all the letters/words are linked in a single line (even though I'm not trying to write in cursive. I can't write in cursive well at all, but sometimes when I print my letters I forget to lift the pencil from the paper and it all connects. Sometimes I'll write in all capital letters....

It's pretty inconsistent to be honest.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2012, 1:51 am

I only am grateful for two things for my time spent in special education

1) Speech therapy :P

2) I had a teacher who made me work on my hand writing until it became normal looking. For that I am forever grateful. :wink:

Antreus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Mar 2012, 4:24 am

Quote:
My handwriting is very inconsistent. Some days people comment on how good it is (rare) and other days people can barely read it. I also have a tendency to write capitals in the center of words without being aware of it. Is this typical of autism, or could it be something else like dyslexia?

If I'm relaxed and there's no stress, my handwriting is nice. But at other times like when I have to take notes, I have trouble reading it.

I'm left handed so that has had some obvious pitfalls along the way, but I never developed that scary bent wrist way of writing, I just slant the paper.

Just to echo some of the people above I was a bit startled by the OP and taken aback. My handwriting is very inconsistent as well. I also have the tendency to write capitals instead of lower-case, because it is easier sometimes, as is writing backwards. My handwriting when rushed is a mixture of print and cursive. My hands get very tired after long periods of writing, so I prefer typing. It is also harder for me to get all my thoughts out as fast as they come while writing because every word feels like I must etch it onto the paper, laborious.

I do have excellent penmanship depending on the day, kinda a cyclical thing, while not stress/anxious. However, my signature is never the same. Writing can be laborious or very meditative, stressing out to write as fast as possible or zoning out, enjoying what I'm doing. I like writing well, so it's troublesome. Often when I took notes for myself I could not read them afterwards because of the inconsistency/sloppiness and tangential nature of what I'd write down, not always pertinent to the gestalt meanings necessary for studying.

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2012, 5:14 am

sfreyj
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Mar 2012, 5:44 am

My handwriting depends on my mood or how much of a rush I'm in. I vary between scripts indiscriminately if I'm just writing generally or dictating:

If I'm copying something out, then I will write with cursive script:

Sometimes I invent my own alphabet and use that instead:

Most skills, including handwriting, can be improved with practice (though there's not much point, unless it interests you). Even NTs can have illegible chicken scratch.

Last edited by sfreyj on 10 Mar 2012, 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2012, 5:52 am

sfreyj wrote:

You mean like shorthand? I can't do that, but I know about it.

sfreyj
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Mar 2012, 5:58 am

EnglishJess wrote:
sfreyj wrote:

You mean like shorthand? I can't do that, but I know about it.

No, it's just English in invented letters.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2012, 5:59 am

My handwriting sucks. At best maybe mediocre lol.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2012, 6:05 am

People tell me my writing is horrible. Sometimes even I have trouble reading it. It's just so rushed.

CornerPuzzlePieces
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2012, 8:08 pm

I've always been picked on for bad handwriting haha, it gets better or worse depending on my mental clarity at the time. And also speed but that isnt as much of a difference.

No reverse letters here though..

I bought an old typewriter to use when I want a "written feel" to a document but don't want them to confuse my writing. It works well!

VicSage
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Mar 2012, 9:27 am

NVLD Adults/Kids have poor handwriting in general but there are exceptions. I'm not one of them I'm afraid. If I write slowly my handwriting is legible but childish.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2012, 2:21 pm

I wonder if the crappy writing is consistent (mostly) across the spectrum, or just an Asperger's thing?
Does anyone know?

Sincerely,
Matthew

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2012, 2:33 pm

Matt62 wrote:
I wonder if the crappy writing is consistent (mostly) across the spectrum, or just an Asperger's thing?
Does anyone know?

Sincerely,
Matthew

Quote:
It often overlaps with other learning disabilities such as speech impairment, attention deficit disorder, or developmental coordination disorder.[3] In the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV), dysgraphia is characterized as a learning disability in the category of written expression when one’s writing skills are below those expected given a person’s age measured through intelligence and age appropriate education

Quote:
In order to be diagnosed with dysgraphia, one must have a cluster, but not necessarily all, of the following symptoms: [2]

Cramping of fingers while writing short entries
Odd wrist, arm, body, or paper orientations such as creating an L shape with your arm
Excessive erasures
Mixed upper case and lower case letters
Inconsistent form and size of letters, or unfinished letters
Misuse of lines and margins
Inefficient speed of copying
Inattentiveness over details when writing
Frequent need of verbal cues
Referring heavily on vision to write
Poor legibility
Handwriting abilities that may interfere with spelling and written composition

Last I looked this up on wiki, they listed autism in that "overlap"....... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysgraphia

Killman

14 Mar 2012, 5:19 pm

My handwriting is just terrible. :(