Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 7:46 pm

Are you unusually sensitive, unusually insensitive, or somewhere in between?

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 7:48 pm

I think I'm pretty much average when it comes to pain. I don't freak out too much but I do react when something is painful enough. I have piercings and two tattoos...didn't bug me at all.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 7:52 pm

Don't think I'm either. I do have high tolerance for pain, but I'm pretty sure I feel it just as well as anyone does. It just doesn't bother me as much.

It does depend on the kind of pain, and where it is. Got cornea damage twice years ago from getting poked by two of my kids on two different occasions. That was so painful I was on Tylenol with Codeine once, and Percocets the first time.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 7:59 pm

I am overly sensitive to pain, but I never understood why other kids were scared of going to the dentist. Or doctors in general. I never associated pain with them.

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 8:02 pm

TheHouseholdCat wrote:
I am overly sensitive to pain, but I never understood why other kids were scared of going to the dentist. Or doctors in general. I never associated pain with them.

I didn't like the dentist because of the close contact with somebody putting things in my mouth. It's just too up close and personal for me. Also, I hated the tastes of overly sweet things and I hate drooling and getting that air suction thing and the sharp pick they put in your gums.

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 8:03 pm

lostgirl1986 wrote:
TheHouseholdCat wrote:

I didn't like the dentist because of the close contact with somebody putting things in my mouth. It's just too up close and personal for me. Also, I hated the tastes of overly sweet things and I hate drooling and getting that air suction thing and the sharp pick they put in your gums.

Yeah, it's always an odd situation. Even if you get your teeth checked regularly. ^^

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman

Ddddd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Mar 2012, 8:17 pm

I'm quite sensitive to pain, I've been complaining about a back ache since I was 5, and apparently there's nothing wrong with it. Combing my hair makes me want to cry and when I get cramps I feel like I'm dying. :)

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 8:24 pm

NobodyKnows wrote:
Are you unusually sensitive, unusually insensitive, or somewhere in between?

It depends on a particular situation, senses involved, and point in time.
TheSunAlsoRises

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 8:38 pm

I have a high pain tolerance however my tolerance has been worn from years of pain related to physical issues. Recently I had surgery and was on morphine and local anasthetics afterwards then simultaneously max doses of temadol, voltarin and panadol, the combined strength requiring two antinausea drugs.
I think I may also be more sensitive to pain, like hayfever causes pain in my ears due to fluid build up. While I can tolerate this pain, this level of pain is a bit out of proportion to what doctors would expect.
When I was younger pain didnt bother me much, others would be complaining of lactic build during sport but I didnt used to feel it. When I was running, I trained and raced through bad plantafaciatis and shinsplints.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 8:47 pm

Oddly, for me, it depends on area of body as well as situation. Aside from the obvious vulnerabilities of being male, my mouth is horribly sensitive. My joints are killing me because of my arthritis..
But physical wounds may or may not be felt. Or the pain gets delayed. I have also had reffered pain before as well. And kidneystones are still the most painful pain (double positive??LOL) I have ever encountered.
By the Way, I'm reffering to the roof of my mouth & my teeth (to cold, which HURTS). My mouth can get very irritated if food or liquid hits the roof.

Sincerely,
Matthew

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 9:12 pm

Both....my pain tolerance isn't consistent. Most of the time I'm hypo-sensitive, though....I tend to know I've injured myself only when I see the scratches/bruises hours or days later. (Or when I notice that all of a sudden there's blood everywhere, and that I'm the only person who could be bleeding.)

Love transcends all.

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 9:24 pm

Like with many sensory things, I can be one extreme or the other.

If I stub my toe or get poked in my upper arm, it's game over. I used to pass out constantly when I was a little kid...on one occasion, my grandmother was brushing my hair and hit a tangle...on another, my pierced ear got infected, and my mom had to use some force to remove the earring. It seems like sharp, unexpected pains are what get me. At the dentist, they have to give me 5-6 shots of Novocaine PER TOOTH, or I can still feel everything.

However, I have two tattoos, and actually found the sensation rather pleasant and not really painful at all. I can also bite down hard on my arms or hand, where it leaves deep impressions in my skin, and I barely feel it. I once stuck my hand in a bucket of ice for several minutes, and my opponent was in a lot of pain and had to give up...I was totally fine. If I find myself outside against my will in the middle of winter with no jacket, though, I'll be painfully cold and shivering.

I've found that with almost all of my sensory issues, if I'm in CONTROL, then the effect of the stimulus is severely limited. However, if I'm not in control or not expecting the stimulus, my responses are super heightened.

Diagnosed with AS and Anxiety Disorder - NOS on 03/21/2012

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 9:37 pm

animalcrackers wrote:
(Or when I notice that all of a sudden there's blood everywhere, and that I'm the only person who could be bleeding.)

Yep, or when other people are like 'um, do you know you're bleeding?' I was once in an exam and my leg felt wet, when I looked at it I had scratched it and blood was running down to my sock. Somtimes my body seems to produce its own painkillers and my skin will feel numb.

JonAZ
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Mar 2012, 10:07 pm

Some people say I have a high tolerance to pain.

I like to donate blood to the Red Cross. The lady was having trouble getting blood out of me one particular day. Thus, she had to move the needle around in my arm quite a bit because she accidentally punctured the vein twice. (I am not sure. It was several years ago.) She had to go to her supervisor to ask permission to continue. The supervisor came back and looked at me. He asked, "Are you sure you want to continue? You are going to have a huge bruise."

My response was, "Oh cool! I will show it to everyone."

He laughed, "As long as you understand that this will not be comfortable and that you will get a huge bruise. Then you can go ahead and continue."

I am NT. Whatever that means.

megymegan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2012, 10:09 pm

I have a high tolerance for pain. It takes a lot to really hurt me, physically.

Helvetica
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Mar 2012, 10:17 pm

My head and shoulders are specifically hypersensitive to touch, the feeling of clothes, and pain. I cannot stand to brush my hair, it brings me to tears. Any kind of discomfort around my shoulders is like millions of tiny needles stabbing me. However I seemed to deal with my broken foot with no pain meds at all.