Yes 59%  59%  [ 23 ]
No 41%  41%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 39

Fraser1990
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Mar 2012, 12:18 pm

Serious question.

Do you ever experience a general sense of "evil" when around NT'ers?

I know its probably wrong, but I can't help shake this gut feeling that I just can't trust anybody who is an NT. :?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 12:24 pm

This "Sense of Evil" may only be a misinterpretation of one's own anxiety over not fitting in.

NTs are no more or less evil than the rest of us.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 12:25 pm

No, not most NTs. Once in a while--very occasionally, about one in fifty people--I'll get a sense that this is a person who truly does not care about other people. I've not yet gotten this from an Aspie, but I'm sure they exist. I just haven't met enough yet. I guess you could call that a sense of "evil".

It's a hunch that has turned out to be true every time for me. Most of the time, they are high-functioning sociopaths.

It's not an ability anybody should envy me for, though. I'm pretty sure I gained it by observing a couple of sociopaths first-hand, growing up with them calling themselves "Dad". Those tendencies really trigger my alarm signals.

Oddly enough, I've found that I am usually able to interact civilly with these people. I'm quite aware that they would, if given the chance and knew they wouldn't be caught, murder someone for money or do similar things. But they have to follow social rules to avoid being detected, and if you stay in contexts where their hurting you would not be socially acceptable, you're safe.

OP, because you say you feel this from all NTs, and not just a few, I think if I were you I would question whether what you are sensing is "evil", or just "discomfort", "unfamiliarity", or some other sort of negative emotion. If you don't understand people, that naturally does set you on edge. Be careful that you do not reject or mistreat people because they trigger your "unfamiliar-and-thus-dangerous" survival system. They can't help the impression they make; and anyhow, if you think everyone is threatening, how will you know who really is, and who would be willing to help?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Fraser1990
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Mar 2012, 12:29 pm

I haven't had any long lasting positive experiences with NT's which is what I think has lead me to feel this way. I don't know any other aspies from where i'm from either, so i feel quite alone all the time.

I just get a sense that I can't fully trust somebody who is NT. I guess when i'm in a crowd of people, I feel ganged up on, as if its 20 NT's against 1 Aspie.

It sounds silly, but I can't shake it off.

goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 12:31 pm

In general, no, I don't think so.
But some NTs might be better at taking advantage of some people who may not understand a situation.

Autism Spectrum quotient: 41, Empathy Quotient: 19

kBillingsley
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Mar 2012, 1:21 pm

Ha, I am more evil than most people I know. It is not that I am a manifested diabolical villain, but I know that I have the capacity to do some really evil things without very much to warrant it.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 1:30 pm

From NTs I get a feeling that they need things to be a certain way. I wouldn't call it evil. Ironically, psychopaths feel safe to me because they don't emit the same pressure.

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 1:34 pm

No, I tend to indiscriminately think that people are 'good'. They have to prove otherwise, I tend to ignore the input of others on this matter, and if people only drop hints regarding this, I miss them. It has been suggested that others' can be a bad influence upon me, so I possibly need to work on this. Occasionally I have been paranoid about people, I think.

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 1:35 pm

Evil - no. Horrible - Yes.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 1:45 pm

When around them, absolutely not

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 1:57 pm

Although I don't really believe in traditional concepts of "good" and "evil," I've seen an ugliness and lack of humanity in some NTs that I've never encountered in anyone on the spectrum, or anyone with any diagnosed mental disorder for that matter. I've self-identified as a borderline sociopath who never feels guilt, so it's saying quite a bit when even I find humanity lacking in someone. At least I keep to myself and don't deal with my problems by hurting people, physically or verbally. Without giving away too much of my sordid past, I can say that I've seen and personally experienced a lot of that, always from NTs. If you can find an abusive autistic person, I'd love to see him.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 1:59 pm

Jory wrote:
If you can find an abusive autistic person, I'd love to see him.

Some pretty mean people on the spectrum have come and gone (aka b&) on this web community

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 2:10 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Jory wrote:
If you can find an abusive autistic person, I'd love to see him.

Some pretty mean people on the spectrum have come and gone (aka b&) on this web community

For sure, but being a dick on the internet isn't exactly what I have in mind.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 2:24 pm

Not evil as such but primitive and not very evolved. Driven more by their primitive minds and needs than their higher minds.

Selena
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Mar 2012, 2:29 pm

Some of them are evil, some are not. I do actually think that the "lacking empathy" description usually applied to people on the spectrum more often applies to NT's who are capable of coming up with justifications for almost any form of atrocious bullying.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 2:31 pm

I have a thing where I don't really trust anyone easily. I'm not a big people person so a lot of people seem evil to me.