Petition to Keep Asperger's in the DSM for Autism!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

CanisMajor
Toucan
Toucan

17 Mar 2012, 9:47 pm

I just found this online petition on Change.org directed toward the American Psychiatric Association to urge them not to change the diagnostic criteria for autism!

http://www.change.org/petitions/do-not- ... -from-dsm#

I know many here are already well aware of the ramifications of this. For those who are unaware, there are currently changes in the works that would make it a lot harder to diagnose autism (especially asperger's.) The change would essentially prevent many affected children from receiving help, as well as take the diagnosis away from many of those who currently have it and are dependent on therapy and support to get by, cutting them off from access to behavioral therapy, special education classes, and other resources that help (and have been helping) them to function properly in their own lives, as well as in society. The worst part about it, is that the main reason for changing the diagnosis criteria in the first place seems to be in order to cut down on the amount of children being diagnosed with autism. Not only does it imply that being on the spectrum is a bad thing, but that many of those receiving the diagnosis really don't need any help (which as many of us know, is far from the truth!) We need to send a strong message that changing the criteria for diagnosis will not solve any problems, and that cutting off help for children is definitely not the way to settle this (supposed) issue!

I did not write this petition. However, I do believe it is very important to pass it around and increase the pressure on those responsible to take a second look at the consequences of what they are about to do. Please take the time to review it (especially if it is new to you), and send it to your friends and family. I know a lot of people don't think petitions do much, but I've seen some amazing things happen before. If we just sit back, do nothing, and say nothing, we will definitely get walked all over. The very least we can do is get our voices heard!

Merculangelo
Toucan
Toucan

17 Mar 2012, 10:33 pm

APA isn't a government funded organization. What does a petition mean to it?

And even if it were a government funded and organized unit, this would be like a petition toward the FDA to keep selling some food that most scientists (whom have proven themselves in the scientific community such that they were given a position of power with regard to such decisions) agree isn't safe. The public could make a petition to get rid of people in charge there, but that's it. And again, since APA isn't a government funded org. this cannot be done. They would have to do something ludicrous like the banks to have the feds call them out.

CanisMajor
Toucan
Toucan

17 Mar 2012, 10:49 pm

Merculangelo wrote:
APA isn't a government funded organization. What does a petition mean to it?

And even if it were a government funded and organized unit, this would be like a petition toward the FDA to keep selling some food that most scientists (whom have proven themselves in the scientific community such that they were given a position of power with regard to such decisions) agree isn't safe. The public could make a petition to get rid of people in charge there, but that's it. And again, since APA isn't a government funded org. this cannot be done. They would have to do something ludicrous like the banks to have the feds call them out.

All right, then. Let's just sit back and do nothing like we always do. That's always the way to make things better, after all. Excellent plan. I can't wait to get screwed over by another faceless organization again!

How does it hurt to request they review what they're doing? It takes like two seconds of our time to click "Sign". I guess you're content with throwing your hands up and saying, "I'm unlikely to change anything, so why even bother?", but I can't be as pathetic as that. If something's wrong, you should do what you can to stop it, even if you don't believe it will actually change anything. Surprises can happen, after all. I'd rather lose while fighting than just lay back and take whatever ridiculous proposal somebody tries to force on me. If the change happens anyway, I'll at least know I tried something. If you do nothing now, then you have no reason to complain later on.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 10:53 pm

I've signed it. :)