Who else does/used to do everything with their parents

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Musichead2468
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Dec 2016, 3:21 pm

Before college, I did everything with my dad. Also he raised me as a single father with no siblings.

Including
movies, school games, school talent shows, local comic book store events, went to the park, open mic night, karaoke night, concerts, conventions, and many more things.

Nowadays in college, I don't that much anymore.

Last edited by Musichead2468 on 14 Dec 2016, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2016, 3:37 pm

My mom and I enjoyed going out and shopping together and I always enjoyed pulling hair from her chin and she would have me rub lotion on her feet. This was all back when I lived in Montana. Now we hardly ever do anything together. Maybe because things have changed like I have kids now and she works and has her own life and does her own stuff. She is done raising kids.

I never did a lot with my father. Yes we did stuff together as family such as going to a movie, making cookies, going out, playing board games, watching a movie at home, going to our school programs. I only remember doing more stuff with my mother growing up because she was a SAHM and my dad was the breadwinner. Then it was the other way around in Montana for a while when we first moved there and I still didn't do much with him. I only remember doing things as family when we all would go out.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2016, 4:17 pm

I used to do a lot with my mom. As she has gotten older, we don't do quite as much together. She isn't in the best of health, but we still try to go out to lunch or dinner once a month. When I was little though, she would take me everywhere, even with her to work sometimes. She always would refer to me as her "mini-me" because we looked so much alike.

I never did much with my dad. He was never around much when I was little. I didn't see him or my sister (who is my dad's child, but not my mom's) much until I graduated high school and gained the ability to go over to their house by myself. The three of us will watch TV and movies together.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2016, 4:27 pm

Yes, this used to be me right up to my late 20s because I was kind of in what some people would call arrested development, lived at home and did a lot of things with my parents. I also did things on my own but I always came back home to mum and dad, and spent a lot of time with my mother whom I considered my best and usually only friend.

All of that only changed because they both passed away one soon after the other.

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2016, 4:38 pm

I don't get on well with my parents at all. This is possibly due to them being unable to have any kind of intellectual conversation (they don't think deeply at all, but they think they do). It's impossible to have any good discussion or debate, because they do not understand even simple arguments, and never consider establishing any beliefs within themselves.

Also, my mother does not want to accept me the way I am (ND traits). She tells me that it is selfish to think that people should accept me the way I am. She still persists in the belief that I love her, when I've disliked her since I was 6-7 years old. I try to avoid her as much as possible. My father is the same.

So, no. I don't do things with my parents if I can help it.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2016, 6:31 pm

I mostly go out with my mother because I can get agitated easily in public. I want to be independent though.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2016, 5:45 pm

I usually venture into town with my parents every Saturday. They themselves follow a strict routine when out, and I enjoy spending time with them. I've also found, given how frequently they argue, I am a surprisingly good mediator between them to stop either from having a go at each other. After never venturing outside for years, it's also a good exercise for me to practice being surrounded by massive tonnes of people... them with their roving eyes and tittering mouths.

Fraser_1990
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2016, 5:50 pm

Me and my mum are very different. Me and my dad are pretty much the same person. But knowing someone who shares the same flaws and characteristics as yourself can actually be quite annoying, because it forces you to have an outwards look at yourself. We don't spend a great deal of time together, but when we do, it can either be really great or a disaster.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2016, 7:24 pm

I watch tv series quite often with my mom and I talk with her more often than anyone else in person but we rarely go out anywhere. I rarely go out anywhere except to doctor's appointments due to my health.

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2016, 3:04 am

Fraser_1990 wrote:
Me and my mum are very different. Me and my dad are pretty much the same person. But knowing someone who shares the same flaws and characteristics as yourself can actually be quite annoying, because it forces you to have an outwards look at yourself. We don't spend a great deal of time together, but when we do, it can either be really great or a disaster.

Exactly this ^^^. I see them every few months and it'll either be great or turn into a huge argument with my dad. We're very similar but where I've built coping mechanisms he hasn't; the worst being anger management - I have learned to keep my temper under control (to a certain extent) and have learned to diffuse dangerous situations whereas he hasn't. That doesn't mean I'm perfect - far from it! I still cannot back down from arguments easily - I'm there thinking we're having a discussion and don't notice that my dad is getting more and more angry because I cannot see his point of view.

So no, we don't do much together. A few years back, once a year, we used to go to a local real-ale-fest together but know, due to ill health, he can't manage it. I do really miss those ale-fests.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.