Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Radon123
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Dec 2016, 9:21 pm

Hello,

I'm not sure if I have Asperger's or not, but it's like I've had this interest in politics and also economics for like over 4 years now, and I really want this special interest to be gone, because it crowds out all other possible interests. I really want to get interested in Physics and Math, too. I don't know what to do. I've been told to just wait it out, but when will the day come when the interest in politics/economics is gone. Also, this interest in politics is quite subdued from what it used to be, I would say that I really wittled it down a lot, but it's still there, and crowds out other interests. And it also feels like I can't be interested in abstract things like science, religion, and philosophy, because the interest in politics/economics forces me to not be into complex abstract things like these, only things that pertain to that particular area, politics/economics.

So, if anybody could please help me, it'd be greatly appreciated.

LivingToLaugh11
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Dec 2016, 9:25 pm

This is probably my strongest interest, too - it started when I was 16 (9 years ago). My advice - embrace it, study it, and take part in shaping the world into a better place.

That's what I like to think I'm doing at work....

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2016, 9:34 pm

Actually, an interest in economics and math can lead you to an extremely lucrative career (being a "quant"). If you can hold on to those two special interests, I think you should do so.

There Are Four Lights!

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2016, 9:05 pm

You cannot force yourself to be disinterested in something you are. You also cannot force yourself to be interested in something you are not. You can try and spend less time researching/discussing politics/economics (whatever you do). You can try and spend more time researching/discussing mathematics/physics. But you cannot intellectually dictate your interests.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Dec 2016, 2:40 am

I had those problems with focusing on one special interest too much till I started taking a med for my OCD. I'm not saying that's what's going on with you but it's something to look into if you have other OCD problems like I did.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition