Help me find distance learning courses on the autismspectrum

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Mar 2012, 2:30 pm

I am having trouble navigating the huge amount of hits I get when I try to google this myself. Hoping someone who is either from the UK/US or Australia could give me a link to such an university course. What I am looking for is:
A distance learning course in psychology related to the autism spectrum without any demand of being there (some demand that you can show up for some group work and still call it a distance learning course). And it would be really great if the same university has several courses so I can take more the same place (not just 1 entry level course).

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 2:33 pm

Try the ou, they also release their course material free if you want to take a look.

http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=3569

Jason

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 3:04 pm

Penn State has an online graduate certification in autism studies. Maybe one of the courses in that program might be a good fit for you. It's a US university, but since the program is online, the classes can be taken anywhere.

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Mar 2012, 4:03 pm

Jtuk wrote:
Try the ou, they also release their course material free if you want to take a look.

http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=3569

Jason

Thanks :) It seemed pretty basic, but would be nice to get knowledge I already have down in credits regardless (but then price matters a lot of course and that was not available yet)

blueroses wrote:
Penn State has an online graduate certification in autism studies. Maybe one of the courses in that program might be a good fit for you. It's a US university, but since the program is online, the classes can be taken anywhere.

Again, thanks for helping :) I found it but it just says to come back in October as they are changing the course, so that may or may not be an alternative.

The-Raven
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 4:23 pm

this is another OU one (but not a free one)

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergradu ... /sk124.htm

J87
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Mar 2012, 7:58 pm

The link to the course The-Raven posted looks interesting. One of the best things I've ever done is study with the OU. There is a free unit called 'The autistic spectrum: From theory to practice' to view online here http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/mod/ouconte ... 2&direct=1

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2012, 5:40 pm

psychegots wrote:

Thanks :) It seemed pretty basic, but would be nice to get knowledge I already have down in credits regardless (but then price matters a lot of course and that was not available yet)e.

Most undergrad modules are pretty basic. You'll need to do a load of other modules to get the BA or whatever and the remainder are unlikely to have much to do ASD. OU undergrad modules are pretty cheap.

I have done a few modules with the OU, but the module format didn't agree with me. So I Switched to a masters with the university of Liverpool, I found that suited me a lot better.

Jason.

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2012, 8:53 am

Jtuk wrote:
psychegots wrote:

Thanks :) It seemed pretty basic, but would be nice to get knowledge I already have down in credits regardless (but then price matters a lot of course and that was not available yet)e.

Most undergrad modules are pretty basic. You'll need to do a load of other modules to get the BA or whatever and the remainder are unlikely to have much to do ASD. OU undergrad modules are pretty cheap.

I have done a few modules with the OU, but the module format didn't agree with me. So I Switched to a masters with the university of Liverpool, I found that suited me a lot better.

Jason.

Thanks for info :) I do not need a full degree from them, I'm already enrolled in a clinical psychology course it's just that we have next to nothing about asd. Have to check though if my university allows me to build in stuff from OU in my degree. I can take it regardless of course but would be nice.