Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 10:00 am

I decided to write an article about autism for autism awareness month. More specifically, I'm writing about how the 1:110 statistic includes high-functioning, that yes high-functioning autistics exist, and about how it affects autistic people rather than how it affects their families, as I am sure they'll hear a shedload about their families.

I'm trying to go information hunting, namely for statistics [Bureau of Justice Statistics gave me some lovely lovely numbers so far] in the United States as for the rate of victimization in violent crimes. So far I've found rates that include non-deadly violent crimes and found the disturbing statistic that disabled people, mostly with cognitive disabilities [IE us, people with down's, the mentally ret*d, schizophrenics, etc.], are more likely to be attacked with a weapon and hospitalized as a result than people without disabilities.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to dumb-down the statistics, because I'm even having a little trouble interpreting them.

For example, this:
"In 2010, for both males and females the age-adjusted rate of violent crime was greater for those with disabilities than the rate against those without disabilities. The rate for males with disabilities was 23 per 1,000, compared to 16 per 1,000 for males without disabilities; for females with disabilities the rate was 26 per 1,000, compared to 15 per 1,000 for females without disabilities."

I'm also having trouble finding more specific cases to cite because I don't remember the names of the more recent cases and thus am having trouble searching for the articles. I'd like to cite that one autistic girl who couldn't speak but started typing, but I don't know her name and so I'm having trouble finding information about her or her writings as well.

I am doing this partly to debunk the stereotype that people with autism are more likely to commit crimes, are all mentally ret*d, and also to let my classmates know that Autism Speaks is not a viable organization ['time to listen' yet they have no autistics on their board and tell HFAs and Aspies to get lost], and tell them what is.

Does anyone know of any statistics I should consider, or the names of the aforementioned murder victims or self-advocates [or whatever they are exactly]?

ktbug
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Mar 2012, 10:25 am

This is very interesting.
I just googled "autistic girl types" and got several results, so try that. Just make sure your resources are valid before you quote them.
Good luck with this!

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 8:11 pm

ktbug wrote:
This is very interesting.
I just googled "autistic girl types" and got several results, so try that. Just make sure your resources are valid before you quote them.
Good luck with this!

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to find from googling this, but OK.