Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

TheSocialExperiment
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Apr 2012, 7:26 am

Does anyone have any habits? I've heard on some AS sites that people with it do, I was just wondering. I have a few habits. One is of me shaking my head, this started when I had longer hair but carried on even when I had it cut. Another is jogging my leg when I'm just sitting, or not actually doing anything. The last is sniffing my nose, I've had this for years and I have nosebleeds quite often, I think it originated when I had a bad cold and now I always feel like my nose isn't clear. It looks voluntarily, and I can slightly fight it, but it just goes over my head that I'm doing it mostly. Thanks for any replies. xD

wokndead
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Apr 2012, 8:19 am

Those would be stims, and it is extremely common among people with autism/Asperger's. I have lots of stims. Hand twisting (not flapping), squinting, leg bouncing/jiggling, rocking/swaying, finger drumming, throat clearing, pulling on my facial hair... So yeah, you're not alone. Stimming is our way of regulating, soothing, or stimulating ourselves. There are all kinds of stims. Check out this link:
Autism Wiki - Stimming

"Whoever said nothing's impossible never tried slamming a revolving door."

cmoonbeam1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Apr 2012, 8:37 am

I used to flick my toes against each other, drove my sister nuts, haha. I also used to chew my hair, and chew the knuckle on my right hand index finger, to the point where it was a weird leathery thing. I now chew my nails, squinch up my face, rub my eyes, stretch out my hands and wrists, flap my hands (only when alone), and I ever so slightly rock back and forth, frequently. I also drum on my collarbone, and pull at my eyebrows and eyelashes. If I'm feeling really antsy I'll poke at the palm of my hand with a pencil or pen.

TheSocialExperiment
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Apr 2012, 7:14 am

Yeah, cheers people, I forgot one, nail biting, I do that too, lol. xD