How do you deal with the fact everyone you know is a NT

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 3:09 pm

I can't deal with it. Almost every week I have a rant about somewhere on WP. I have always been the only Aspie in my family, and the only Aspie in my class all through school. Ever since the day I was diagnosed I've been so miserable about it that I have no choice but to block it out of my mind in order to be able to carry on.

jedaustin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2012, 3:21 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I can't deal with it. Almost every week I have a rant about somewhere on WP. I have always been the only Aspie in my family, and the only Aspie in my class all through school. Ever since the day I was diagnosed I've been so miserable about it that I have no choice but to block it out of my mind in order to be able to carry on.

It didn't get better for me until I graduated from High School.
Hang in there - it will get better!

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 3:33 pm

Going to be uncharacteristically short here, and say that it was never that I had to 'deal' with everyone I knew being non-autistic, but rather that everyone I knew had to deal with me being autistic. And I commend them for the effort they've put in trying to understand me, giving me the room I needed, and just putting up with my crap in general.

I also agree with jedaustin that there are plenty of introverted people who aren't autistic, and I've usually surrounded myself with them in my life.

jedaustin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2012, 3:43 pm

Keyman wrote:
jedaustin wrote:
I have to consciously think about it; they don't.

I smell an exploit ;)

Because if things happens unconsciously, you can also feed that channel with your engineered input :P
Anyone with ideas how to identify and understand this specific process?

There are plenty of exploits... read books like 'Brandwashed: Tricks Companies Use to Manipulate Our Minds and Persuade Us to Buy' or 'Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior' and you'll see how normal people are swayed by things that have nothing to do with rational thinking.

For awhile one of my focuses was the subconscious mind, hypnotism, and Neuro-Linguistic Programming; fascinating :) To some extent these techniques work on me too - I've been exercising for a year now.

It is unfortunate that each group of 'different' people must have laws and such passed to force 'normal' people to be accepting. The world would be worse off without us.

jedaustin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2012, 3:57 pm

Speaking of what's wrong with school in general... Seth Godin is giving away a free eBook about how out of touch 'school' is:
http://www.squidoo.com/stop-stealing-dreams

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 4:03 pm

I have yet to meet anybody that I would describe as "neurotypical."
Granted, I know very few people with autism, per say, though I cannot bring myself to see as single person as "typical."
Therefore, I do not have to deal with the fact that everyone I know is neurotypical since the concept of "neurotypicality" does not exist to me.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 4:08 pm

I try to be polite and hope others will in return.

Trainbuff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Apr 2012, 4:09 pm

PM wrote:
I don't "deal" with it per se, it's just normal and a fact of life.

Same here.

kill231
Toucan
Toucan

03 Apr 2012, 4:10 pm

thanks for the advice guys!

jedaustin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2012, 4:11 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I try to be polite and hope others will in return.

That is a good rule of thumb to follow. There is something to reciprocity that mostly works.

It doesn't work so well in grade school.. the more you're nice to people that are mean to you the more they take it as license to do it more. As an adult it works pretty well.

kill231
Toucan
Toucan

03 Apr 2012, 4:14 pm

and for some teens

jedaustin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2012, 4:21 pm

The sad thing about such abusive behavior is that many of the remedies make it worse. Segregating you from them in class doesn't protect you from them in the playground or outside of school for example. I tried being nice it back fired. I tried getting help from teachers that either didn't believe me or sided with the popular kids. The only thing that worked for me was to fight back enough to not be an easy target (I took Karate.. and later Judo since I didn't get suspended if I didn't actually hit them).

I would say despite all of my 'dealing with it' attitude I do get tired of being treated like I'm the problem. There is a lot of talk about tolerance of people that are different but I see it as just that - just talk. People out of fear, superiority, or as part of the pack mentality turn on people that are different. It needs to stop.

kill231
Toucan
Toucan

03 Apr 2012, 4:27 pm

Lucky for me NTs i know are nice to me and nobody can even recgonise the fact i have AS save the fact that i'm dramactic and a bit clumsy

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 4:28 pm

Being nice might work for kids. Being mean tends to make it worse. It gives other kids more of an excuse to be mean in return and talk behind your back.

kill231
Toucan
Toucan

03 Apr 2012, 4:45 pm

makes sense so i should be careful.

jedaustin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2012, 4:52 pm

kill231 wrote:
makes sense so i should be careful.

Yes - be careful.

In hindsight I realize that much of the abuse I suffered was because I was too sensitive.
If I had not reacted so much to their teasing it wouldn't have fueled as much of it.
Later in life I figured that out and laughed off such teasing often mocking them by repeating their own words in my best impression of a sarcastic voice. Now as an adult it's hard to hurt my feelings - I have to really care about a person and their opinion for negative criticism to be more than just logically evaluated as feedback. The other thing I realize is that I was way too gullible and trusting of people that had formerly been mean to me. Though trusting no one is just as big of a problem.